General Discussion Race Reports! » Graniteman Clearwater Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Graniteman Clearwater Triathlon - Olympic Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Clearwater, Minnesota
United States
Graniteman Events
72F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 56m 6s
Overall Rank = 51/101
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 3/7
Pre-race routine:

This was my first triathlon, so I don't have a "routine" yet.

Woke up about 415am. Made coffee, finished packing the car, grabbed my pre-made breakfast and hydration from the fridge. Out the door about 445am. Ate breakfast on my 60-mile drive to the race. Breakfast was a peanut butter and honey sandwich on white bread, two banana, and some blue Powerade. Took in lots of fluids pre-race due to expected heat.

Arrived about 550am, parked, unloaded bike and got a good transition spot. Got my bib, body marking, etc. Walked back to the car to get my bucket of other supplies.

Set up my transition area. Walked around to look at chutes for transition. Moved my stuff around in transition. Looked at other peoples' stuff, talked to the lady next to me.

Attended the pre-race meeting at 715am. Walked about a half mile to the swim start area (it's a point to point).
Event warmup:

About a 7 minute swim medley, per my usual swim workouts. Freestyle, back, breast, side strokes. I was in the water warming up when the elites started. When group 2 started I was standing in the water starting to shiver.

Race started exactly per plan, so timing of warmup was good.
Swim
  • 33m 44s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 15s / 100 meters
Comments:

I was one of the few without a wetsuit. I started in the back of the wave of about 40-50 people.

A few minutes into the swim, I thought "oh boy, I can't do this." Then a minute or so later I found my rhythm and was just fine.

Probably could have swam a bit faster, but being the first tri, there was uncertainty. And I knew the hot bike and run were coming.

I enjoyed the swim and the challenge of it. Enjoyed being in the crowd, even when looping back into the flow of the Sprint distance swimmers. Getting in three open water swims the week of the race was key for mental preparation.
What would you do differently?:

Find a wetsuit that fits, so I have the option.

More strength focus in workouts, including paddles and kicking. Work on form drills. Several minutes of improvement available in the swim.
Transition 1
  • 01m 18s
Comments:

I did well here, 27th out of 101. Probably due to not having to take off a wetsuit, and getting a good transition spot. I put on my socks and shoes in transition, then ran bike to the line, stopped, and got on. The uphill exit made that a bit of a challenge but I did it.

Forgot to push button on watch exiting T1, did that a minute or so into the ride.

Work on transitions where I leave shoes clipped into bike, start out with feet on top of shoes, and put shoes on while riding.
Bike
  • 1h 29m 34s
  • 28.68 miles
  • 19.21 mile/hr
Comments:

75 degrees, 5mph wind from the east. Two laps, slight rolling hills, relatively flat. Clean course.

Felt like a good ride. Getting warmer as the day progresses. Maybe held back a bit knowing a hot run is coming.

Average of 19.2mph is just below my best-ever training ride of 19.4mph.

Minutes of improvement available here. Get an indoor trainer for the winter. More hard interval work.
Transition 2
  • 01m 29s
Comments:

Decent in transition, 36th out of 101. Came to a complete stop to get off bike, then ran to location.

Started to run toward wrong "Run Out" spot. What I had scoped out and assumed was run out was not. Family yelled at me to go the right direction. Apparently many people made this mistake. Probably added 8-10 seconds on transition time.

Better studying of transition ins and outs pre-race.
Run
  • 50m 3s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 08m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

79 degrees, 7mph wind from SE. Little to no impact from wind. First and last mile of run were on shaded trail of grass and dirt, with short but steeper hills and sharp turns. Middle 4.2 miles was asphalt highway in the sun.

Getting very hot. But I've run hot marathons and a hot fartlek in this training cycle, so I know I can handle it. Drank water at all available stops.

Happy with run, finished 26th of 101 athletes.

Near the end, the runner ahead of me was not in my age group, so didn't need to work hard to pass him. No runners approaching from rear to keep ahead of.

Did the best I could with the heat. Last mile was the slowest - getting hot and onto the trail run finish.

Figure out how to increase long run lengths in training to be more marathon ready at end of triathlon training cycle.
Post race
Warm down:

Two waters right away. Stand and talk to family. Walk to get results, stand for award ceremony. Ate three cookies from the concessions area. Took my time leaving the race. Coffee on the way home. Beer in the afternoon and evening.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

This was my first triathlon. Training went well, but need more experience along with more speed and strength work in swim AND cycle.

Eleven days off from training leading up to the race. I went on a family vacation, and didn't work out in 11 days - this could also have been a slight benefit. Coming back from vacation I had 12 days to get back into race form.

Event comments:

My goals:
1. Finish - DONE
2. Run the entire 10k - DONE
3. Top half age group finish - DONE

Good race organization. Director moved the start of the race up one hour due to expected heat on race day - good decision. Good course markings. Started exactly on time.

Attended a pre-race clinic and group swim on Tuesday before the race. This was a huge benefit.

No race medals or swag for all finishers. I had expected there to be medals based on prior years, and I thought I read that when I signed up for the race.

Medals / awards for 5-year age groups - I earned 3rd place in AG.

Course is good for a first timer. Will recommend this race and consider it again in 2020.

Last updated: 2019-07-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:44 | 1500 meters | 02m 15s / 100meters
Age Group: 5/7
Overall: 76/101
Performance: Average
Swim transition was a bit up the shore, which included some running. Garmin says 2:00/100yd. Not sure how accurate the swim course distance was given the size of the loop.
Suit: None
Course: Across Warner Lake with a large loop of four left hand turns.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:18
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:29:34 | 28.68 miles | 19.21 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/7
Overall: 61/101
Performance: Average
Lap 1 and 4 were the fastest, heading away from transition area. Slight degree of tailwind.
Wind: Little
Course: 75 degrees, 5mph wind from the east. Two laps, slight rolling hills, relatively flat. Clean.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:29
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:50:03 | 06.2 miles | 08m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/7
Overall: 26/101
Performance: Good
Garmin pace was 8:13, distance 6.10 miles. Some data inaccuracy here due to first and last mile being a tree-covered trail run.
Course: First and last mile of run were on shaded trail of grass and dirt, with short but steeper hills and sharp turns. Middle 4.2 miles was asphalt highway in the sun.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2019-07-02 7:39 AM

User image

Shakopee, Minnesota
Subject: Graniteman Clearwater Triathlon - Olympic Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Graniteman Clearwater Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Oktoberfest Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by deweyz
Views: 710 Posts: 1

2019-02-28 3:20 PM deweyz

Keystone State Triathalon - Olympic Course

Started by haight2
Views: 772 Posts: 2

2018-08-28 12:34 PM PigeonTri

Pewaukee Lake Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by hschrade
Views: 1068 Posts: 1