General Discussion Race Reports! » Atlantic City Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Atlantic City Triathlon - Olympic Distance - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Atlantic City, New Jersey
United States
DelMoSports
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 38m 30s
Overall Rank = 263/600
Age Group = F65-69
Age Group Rank = 1/3
Pre-race routine:

I was up at 3:30 and had my oatmeal. We departed Stacey's at 4:45 a.m. Bart drove Stacey and Andy to Bader Field. Sue and I followed in her car. We brought our wetsuits. I ended up going back to Sue's car to drop off my wetsuit to get it out of the transition area. We didn't find out the water temp. until we were in the transition area.

We had plenty of time to get ready. I saw Bob Richey and chatted with him.

There was a young guy named Nicholas next to me on the rack. It was his first tri and he had a lot of questions. I tried to help him out. It was so nice to see someone so excited about racing. I just checked his results and he finished the sprint in a respectable time.

I remembered to eat a Power Bar in transition this year. We headed over to the swim start by about 6:45. The sprint started at 7:00. The OLY started at 7:30.

Swim
  • 23m 42s
  • 1257 yards
  • 01m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

The wait for the swim start seems really long. The footing was not awesome either. My feet were killing me trying to walk on that rough surface. I was really cold, too. I think it was in the 60s. Bob R. left his shirt and flip flops behind the porta potties to be retrieved later. When he came back, they were gone. Bummer.

The swim start was great once it got going. They started both races exactly on time. Sue and I stood at the tail end of the 25-30 min. group. They let 5 people in about every 10 seconds or so. Sue entered next to me but took off so fast. I never saw her again.

I used Foggle on my goggles. Worked great!

I did not wear a shirt--just my sports bra and tri shorts.

What would you do differently?:

Nothing. This swim was so enjoyable. Although, now that I think of it, a swim skin would've been perfect.

Transition 1
  • 02m 58s
Comments:

The swim ended up being short. I was done so fast and when I looked at my watch, I couldn't believe my time. I didn't know it was short and assumed I swam so fast. LOL! I almost forgot to pay attention to where my bike was.

I stood to put on my shoes (no socks), number belt, sunglasses, helmet, wrist sweatband and took off. The run to the bike mount was long and across bumpy macadam. I'm not fast on that.

Nothing

Bike
  • 1h 10m 47s
  • 22.6 miles
  • 19.16 mile/hr
Comments:

I pushed as much as I could on the bike. The course was not too congested but I was careful since there seemed to be a lot of newbies.

I consumed two GUs and 1.5 bottles of watered-down Gatorade.

Nothing
Transition 2
  • 03m 34s
Comments:

Put my visor on. I used lots of Vaseline on my toes and then put my socks on. I grabbed one GU for my pocket.

I poured sunscreen down both arms and applied it everywhere as I was running out.

Nothing

Run
  • 57m 27s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 09m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

I never felt good on the run. I counted the people I passed but wasn't passing hardly any at all. Way more were passing me.

I never cramped. I stopped at every aid station and had water and Gatorade. It was a clear Gatorade. It actually didn't have much of a taste. Come to think of it, I think they called it something else at the first aid station.

I never ate my GU.

I saw Judy, Frank, Ed Gerena, and Ellen. Ellen took my picture.

I saw Steve Del Monte and asked him to turn the sunshine down. It was just so darn sunny!

I'm pleased with my pace considering I didn't feel like I had much energy. I went a tad faster than last year. Maybe that was because the humidity was low.

Post race
Warm down:

Bob was waiting at the finish line (for a change) thanks to the Delmo app. That told him my expected finish time.

Bob brought two chairs, which really came in handy. He also brought my clothes to change in to (shorts, sports bra and a tank). I changed in the porta pottie. While I was over by the porta potties, I saw a guy sitting on the wall that looked like Steve Schirripa from the Sopranos. I thought, wow, that guy really looks like the actor on the Sopranos but it can't be him. Later on, I found out it was. I was bummed I didn't go and say something to him.

They had great food at the finish. I had sausage, eggs, and a cream donut. I gave Bob a bagel with cream cheese. And they had coffee. Okay, it was hot enough but it was coffee!

We stayed for the awards. I took 1st, Susan got 2nd, Stacey got 3rd, and Bob R. got 1st. Bart was happy just to finish since it was his first race since his open heart surgery on March 5. Andy didn't train and ended up pulling both calf muscles. I didn't see Bart or Andy afterwards.

Bob and I took the shuttle back. There was no wait this year. We actually got back faster than Stacey, Susan and Bob R. did. They walked to where Frank had parked the car at Judy's.

Event comments:

Fun race. It is so well organized. I really enjoyed it. It was nice having so many friends there. I already signed up for next year.

Last updated: 2019-08-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:23:42 | 1257 yards | 01m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/3
Overall: 206/600
Performance: Good
Suit: No wetsuit
Course: Rectangular - clockwise
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:58
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:10:47 | 22.6 miles | 19.16 mile/hr
Overall: 316/600
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 03:34
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:57:27 | 06.2 miles | 09m 16s  min/mile
Overall: 293/600
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2019-08-12 12:00 PM

User image

Subject: Atlantic City Triathlon - Olympic Distance
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Atlantic City Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman 70.3 Atlantic City

Started by tribeagle
Views: 850 Posts: 3

2018-10-16 5:22 AM kylianmbape

Started by lmecoll
Views: 1662 Posts: 3

2018-09-27 3:33 PM kloofyroland

Started by dtoce
Views: 1151 Posts: 2