United States
77F / 25C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 23m 37s
Overall Rank = 56/169
Age Group = F30-34
Age Group Rank = 1/13
Pre-race routine:

I got up, ate some oatmeal and drank some water. I also had some coffee and brought an apple/power bar for before the race. I ended up not eating the apple and only half of the protein bar about 30 minutes prior to the race.
Event warmup:

Light walking and stretching. The walk from the southern side of the island (where transition area is located) to the north side of the island (swim start) is about a half mile walk.
Swim
  • 13m 52s
  • 1408 yards
  • 59s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was a time trail start with 1 second between each participant. We had to self seed at the starting line based on how fast we thought we would swim. I started about 25-30 people back for a few reasons, not knowing the course well, my first open water swim in 7 years and because I had not swam since my last tri in June. To start, I waded into the water then dove when I was deep enough, we had to go around the first bouy on the right, which I accomplished, but due to the current many others were not able to; then we had to stay inside of the remaining 3 bouys. The swim went fast and I only ran into shallow water once where I had to push off into a deeper section.
What would you do differently?:

Better sighting next time. My goggles fogged up and I had to do a few breaststroke pulls towards the end to make sure I was on the right path.
Transition 1
  • 01m 43s
Comments:

I wore my swim suit again and had to pull on bike shorts and a shirt. I made sure to lay them out so that I could just pull them on this time. I did not wear my fitbit this race, so this decreased my T1 time slightly.

Overall, faster than last race, but I would need to get a trisuit to decrease the time significantly.
Bike
  • 42m 41s
  • 14.5 miles
  • 20.38 mile/hr
Comments:

This was a very flat bike course, which I think was slightly shorter than 14.5. The first few miles and last few miles were in a protected lane and then we joined with traffic for the middle section. My bike leg felt fast on this course.

I need to get better at drinking my water without losing a bunch of speed and momentum.
Transition 2
  • 00m 56s
Run
  • 24m 26s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

The run felt a lot better this time. I went a little slower off of the bike and I did not get any cramps. With about a mile left in the course, I sped up my pace, which felt good, but I still got crazy nauseous and ended up being sick after I finished the race :(

Overall, the run was great, I just need to figure out what is causing me to be nauseous.
Post race
Warm down:

light walking and stretching

Event comments:

I thought that this was a very well run race. I was able to print out my splits and time minutes after finishing the race, which I thought was really awesome. There were no finisher awards, but I got a running hat for winning my age group. My only concern about the entire race was that the transition area was not "secure", anyone can really walk in and out without anyone second guessing. It was not an issue, but I would be a little nervous about that if I had a really expensive bike and/or equipment.

Last updated: 2019-07-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:52 | 1408 yards | 59s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/13
Overall: 9/169
Performance: Average
Suit: Swim Suit
Course: River swim from the north side to the south city of City Island
Start type: Wade Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 81F / 27C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:43
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:42:41 | 14.5 miles | 20.38 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/13
Overall: 75/169
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Flat out and back
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:56
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:24:26 | 03.1 miles | 07m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/13
Overall: 75/169
Performance: Good
Course: The course was changed this year due to construction. We ran around City Island, across Walnut street to the Harvey Taylor and back.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes