General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Shoulder Hemiarthroplasty Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2019-09-25 9:35 AM

User image

Subject: Shoulder Hemiarthroplasty
Hi folks,
Been on this forum before but not posted in a while. I had a horrid accident (shattered my ball in ball and socket joint and fractured my humerous in 4 places) on my bike 10 months ago where I fell off! It was a major injury and still recovering. I am on my bike and running again. Bike is still a challenge but Im up to 34 miles.
I have just started swimming again but can only do breastroke due to complexity of my injury and range of movement, so my question is because of the buoyancy of wetsuits in the lower body, is there a wetsuit out there with very little buoyancy so I can continue to swim breastroke?
Thank you in advance.
Julie

2019-09-25 2:59 PM
in reply to: Juliecl

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: Shoulder Hemiarthroplasty

Hi Julie,

I seem to recall meeting in the Gray Guys/Gals Mentor group a couple years ago!  Sorry to hear about your crash and your injury.  It's probably too late for this, but listen to your doctors.  I work with another athlete who had a bike crash and broke her hip a couple of years ago.  She had the hip version of the shoulder surgery you had.  She's fully recovered now, indeed she competed at the World Championship's last month so you can come back from this!

Too your question.  Neoprene is bouyant so if you have a wetsuit on, you're going to have the bouyancy.  The only real alternative is no wetsuit or maybe a "shorty" that ends at the thigh.

Has your surgeon given you any idea what your future range of motion might be?

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Shoulder Hemiarthroplasty Rss Feed