General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Movin' on up... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2019-09-26 4:00 PM

Subject: Movin' on up...
I just finished my 4th triathlon (2 sprint/ 2 Oly) over the last 13 months. First, I just wanted to say thanks to everyone involved in this site, both commentors and administrators. It's been tremendously helpful to have a place to look up all the beginner questions that were keeping me up at night.

My 2020 goal is to move up to the 70.3 distance.

I've been looking at 3-4 training plans, and their longest sessions top out at right around 13 miles for the run or 50-55 for the bike (or the time equivalents). I'm not sure how going race distance once before the event is going to prepare me for doing all three disciplines at the same time. Especially as a (BoP) first timer at those distances.

Am I missing something? In my sprint and oly preparations, I've aimed to max out at 150% of race distance on my run and bike. I get that's going to be less feasible training for a longer race, but I can't see how I'm going to have an appropriate base for these distances with these plans.

In a related question, anyone have a training plan they'd like to recommend for a first time 70.3? I am leaning towards the 80/20 plan.

2019-09-27 5:45 AM
in reply to: Aesop's Turtle

User image

, Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Movin' on up...
Those are similar to the distances I covered in my training. I maxed my bike at 60 miles and run at 13, swim max was 3000m, I should have spent more time swimming.

I focused my training on overall volume and getting good work outs with each one. I finished the race at about exactly the time I expected and my body recovered as expected, I was back to running on Tuesday after my Sunday 70.3. Doing it again I would increase my bike mileage and my swimming. Running was fine.

Remember you will spend 50% of your race on your bike, 30% of your race running and less than 20% of your race in the water. You should/could plan your training accordingly.
2019-09-27 7:15 AM
in reply to: #5262856

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
50/30/20 is solid advice, but remember, if that 20% training in the swim doesn’t get you to the point where you can get yourself out of the water, your race is done, whether you can ride the 56 and run the 13.1 or not. If there is a sport you can’t over train on, it is swimming. Swim lots. Swim ows as much as you can.
2019-09-27 8:15 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

, Pennsylvania
I agree that over swimming is not a problem. I hear a lot of people that think they will just roll through the bike though...
2019-09-27 12:26 PM
in reply to: #5262866

User image

The 70.3 distance is fun and challenging. I completed my first two with a max bike of 100km and max run of 13.1 miles. I neglected swimming due to not having a good place to swim. Swimming is where you can build your aerobic engine without worrying about overuse injury. If you have access to a pool or good place to swim, take advantage.

Get some solid bike fitness. Folks will bury themselves on the bike and then have a walkfest half marathon. Saving 10 minutes on the bike means nothing if you give all that time, and then some, back on the run leg. Best way to word it is that your swim and bike should set up your run. There aren’t any awards for having a fast bike or swim leg if you fall apart on the run.

The 80/20 plan is a good place to start. I’ve followed Matt Dixon’s book and I enjoy it. He puts emphasis on quality sessions instead of spending tons of hours on stuff that could be trimmed. The name of the book is Fast Track Triathlete. His podcast is excellent as well: The Purple Patch Podcast.

Having said all that, I’m taking part in Augusta 70.3 this Sunday. I’ll report back if I blow up.
2019-09-27 2:26 PM
in reply to: Parkland

Thanks for sharing those experiences - that's really helpful and gives me a lot more confidence to dive into one of these plans. My training plan for first year + has basically been just get the minutes/miles/meters in, and I was really looking for this winter to pick a specific training plan. The fact the max distances seemed so short really threw me.

I will check out Fast Track Triathlete.

I love hearing that about the swim - it's my best area, and I enjoy it the most.

Good luck in Augusta, Parkland!

2019-09-27 2:26 PM
in reply to: PigeonTri

Originally posted by PigeonTri

I agree that over swimming is not a problem. I hear a lot of people that think they will just roll through the bike though...

I see what you did there...
2019-09-27 5:25 PM

Another vote for Fast Track Triathlete
2019-09-29 11:42 AM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
If you have a strong swim that will make the 70.3 distance easier. I did my first 70.3 before I did any Oly distance. I focused on getting long rides and I also ran an early marathon a couple months before. I bonked on the run because I over-biked but still finished with a very respectable first time.

If you throw in 1 or 2 century rides and 1 or 2 half marathon races during your build up (if you can) that will put you in great shape for a 70.3. Of course a well designed training plan will get you there as well, I am just too random to follow a plan
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Movin' on up... Rss Feed