of 5

2020-01-11 4:22 PM
in reply to: rmschwartz418

User image

Subject: RE: Rob Schwartz Group - OPEN
Hello guys,
I would like to become a part of this.

NAME: Bolt/Scot

STORY: I am 52 staring 53 in the eyes. I am married and my kids are gone. I have wanted to do a tri for many years but had a couch stuck to my . Two months ago I quit a moderate smoking habit. I am excited to work on my training

FAMILY STATUS: Married

CURRENT TRAINING: I run 4-5 times a week usually about 2 miles. My bike is on a trainer and while I haven't been on it in a couple weeks I am going to try and get back on a few days a week. I found an indoor pool at 25 yds and an instructor to help with that part of it. I also am going to incorporate some core and strength training.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: My "big"race is a srint tri in June. I will do a 5k every month leading up to it and a duathlon in March.

UPCOMING YEAR'S RACES

WEIGHTLOSS: Started at 210 down to about 198 now. Want to get to 185. I am 5-10 and fairly strong as I am a construction worker. I use strava for tracking my exercise, my android watch also, and lose it app to track my food. I am only two days into tracking food as of this writing.

2020-01-11 5:31 PM
in reply to: scoty

Scot,

Excited to have you as part of the group and welcome to the wonderful world of triathlon. We have a lot of similarities as I was about 45lbs. heavier pre-tri and I was hoping to do one for many years and finally go to do a sprint. Now, I'm hooked.

Good luck with the swimming. Getting an instructor is a wise move. Still- it will be a slog, but well worth it. I went from barely being able to swim across the pool to regularly doing 3000 yd sessions. What do you have on tap for training this weekend?
2020-01-12 1:09 PM

User image

Kalispell, Montana
Well, this weekend didn't quite pan out. I kicked the can on my Friday afternoon strength training and did it Saturday morning thinking I could do my run after, but my body wasn't having it. So I did my run this morning, it was still ugly, and am too gassed to try and get a Zwift ride in. I have trying to slowly build volume and speed in preparation for my plan. I have been upping those workouts at the first of every month and the first week or so each month is a challenge. It will come together. I am 'Kali Tom' on Zwift and will log my first Zwift ride on Tuesday.
2020-01-12 2:10 PM

New user
Wauwatosa, WI
Hi Everyone, I’d like to join the group - I’ve had good luck in the past with BT mentor groups.

Name: Turner100/ Rob D.
5’8”, 210 lbs.

Story: 48 from Milwaukee, WI, I’ve been an endurance athlete all my life and former Marine. I always like trying new things from Marathons to CrossFit to Spartan Races. I’ve been participating in triathlons for the last 8 years and am basically a lone wolf when it comes to training. I’ve raced all distances from Sprints to a full Ironman (2018 IMWI). I’m starting to ramp up the training for 2020 IMWI - and my 30 week plan starts in February.

Family: Married with 2 daughters (21 & 23)

Training: 6 Days Week/ 8-10 hours. Right now, I’m running, biking, rowing, lifting and working on my flexibility using a GMB program called “Elements”, I’m not planning on swimming until May.

Strengths - swimming, usually in top 10% of most races
Weakness- trying to improve my bike & run

Upcoming Races, 2020 Ironman Wisconsin + some other stuff

Weight Loss: in 2018, I lost 25 lbs. and raced at 185 lbs., and am now back up to 210. My weight is always my main limiter and this year, my goal is get back down to 170.

Looking forward to 2020!

Turner100/ Rob D.

2020-01-12 2:49 PM
in reply to: RockHead

I hate when that happens. Time to reset for next week and hope things go more smoothly. I'm sitting here, motivating to get on my bike for a longer ride. Probably going to keep it indoors - mostly because I'd have to change my rear tire as its too worn from the trainer and then I'd have to change it back.
2020-01-12 2:52 PM
in reply to: Turner100

Great to have another experienced triathlete as part of the group and another Rob. Did you swim as a kid? Pretty impressive to be in the top 10%.

2020-01-12 2:56 PM

SUNDAY NIGHT SPECIAL. I'm stealing this and adapting it from pro triathlon coach, Matt Dixon.

Take 10 minutes tonight to look at your training plan for the week ahead. Identify:
1. What are your 3-4 key workouts you want to make sure to do
2. What is an obstacle that may get in your way?
3. What can you do to avoid that obstacle and make sure to hit your key workouts?

For me:
1. Long run Saturday, Long Bike Sunday, Quality Run Wednesday, Strength Session on Tuesday or Wednesday
2. I'm solo parenting this weekend and having to sherpa kids to a bunch of sports
3. I start early usually on long rides/runs and will have to be about 30-45 minutes earlier to make it happen.
2020-01-13 10:21 AM

User image

Kalispell, Montana
For Me:

1. Get three workouts done on Zwift and confirm that the program and hardware are going to work for my training needs.
2. Technology. I need to practice patience before making a decision.
3. Give myself plenty of time for my workouts until I get more familiar with the platform.
2020-01-13 1:03 PM

New user
Wauwatosa, WI
Glad to be part of the group!

I swam a lot in our community pool as a kid- but not in high school or college. I'm just really comfortable in the pool- and my only real coaching has been watching Youtube Videos. Swimming agrees with me- and being overweight doesn't slow me down!

Training for the week: 4 runs, 3 bikes, 2 Rows and 3 strength/flexibility
Focus on Diet: Just making good choices right now- but will start using Myfitness Pal starting 2/1

Rob

Originally posted by rmschwartz418

Great to have another experienced triathlete as part of the group and another Rob. Did you swim as a kid? Pretty impressive to be in the top 10%.
2020-01-14 1:07 AM

Great to have you, Ed. I followed you on Strava. Look for some upcoming posts and always feel free to post questions, comments, et. al. and contribute your own thoughts to the group./ https://crawlspacesealing.wordpress.com/

i agreed and waiting for new update always..
2020-01-14 11:05 AM
in reply to: 0

How's the Zwift setup going? It can be tricky to dial it all in, but once it works, it's magic.

My setup is currently struggling with poor wifi to the garage which means that intermittently it thinks I'm not pedaling and everything goes to Zero. Want to get that fixed this weekend. Overall, though, I love it.

Edited by rmschwartz418 2020-01-14 3:59 PM

2020-01-14 5:31 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Kalispell, Montana
Originally posted by Turner100

Glad to be part of the group!

I swam a lot in our community pool as a kid- but not in high school or college. I'm just really comfortable in the pool- and my only real coaching has been watching Youtube Videos. Swimming agrees with me- and being overweight doesn't slow me down!

Training for the week: 4 runs, 3 bikes, 2 Rows and 3 strength/flexibility
Focus on Diet: Just making good choices right now- but will start using Myfitness Pal starting 2/1

Rob

Hey Rob,
I grew up in Hudson, WI before I moved out west. Welcome. Go Pack!

Coach,
I have a short intensity ride planned for after work tonight on Zwift. This will be the first one. I will report back with my initial impressions.

Edited by RockHead 2020-01-14 5:33 PM
2020-01-15 7:35 AM

User image

Kalispell, Montana
So far my impression of Zwift is I like it. I see huge potential with this program over the winter months in lieu of spin classes. My refurbished Wahoo Kickr is making some noises that may not be normal according to Customer Service, so if you are shopping for a smart trainer I can't give my trainer an endorsement, but the program seems really detailed and useful.
2020-01-15 4:13 PM
in reply to: #5264477

User image

, Vermont
Hi all, welcome to a new year! I’m working to catch up on the thread and will fill out my bio soon.
2020-01-15 4:14 PM
in reply to: #5265831

User image

, Vermont
Ack! I clicked the wrong group, sorry for confusion!
2020-01-15 8:09 PM

User image

I am running in a 5k this weekend. I want to try and do one 5k every month up till my tri in June. I have run 3 days this week Tuesday-Thursday then rest of Friday and race on Saturday. I a running about 3 miles a day with 113 ft of elevation. If yo are not familiar with Northwest Arkansas it is hard to find a mile of flat ground let alone more. LOL.

2020-01-15 10:06 PM
in reply to: scoty

Good luck with the 5K. Keep us updated on how it goes. I know what you mean with hilly areas. That's similar where I live.
2020-01-16 7:55 AM

User image

Right now I am running between 2.5 and 3 miles at a 10:15 pace. After my race this weekend I want to start working on speed. Once I figure out how to link my strava account I will. Otherwise you an look for me Scot Hendren
2020-01-17 2:30 PM

Subject: RE: On tap for training this weekend
How's everyone doing this week so far? I had a strong Zwift ride this morning. Did the same one a while back and I was able to push more watts with less effort, so really happy about that. The bike has been the focus on my winter. Last winter it was the swim. I worked my off, spending 3-5 hours a week on swimming. The good news is that I improved my times by 15%. The bad news is that for a 70.3, that means 6 minutes. Hoping for similar improvement on the bike, which would mean like 30 minutes.

2020-01-17 3:21 PM

User image

Kalispell, Montana
Week is going good. Getting back into the swing of things after the holiday slack.

Coach - do you have some favorite workouts on Zwift? I am in need of interval, tempo, and endurance workouts for my three bikes each week.
2020-01-17 6:22 PM
in reply to: RockHead

Originally posted by RockHead

Week is going good. Getting back into the swing of things after the holiday slack.

Coach - do you have some favorite workouts on Zwift? I am in need of interval, tempo, and endurance workouts for my three bikes each week.

Good question on Zwift. I did the Build Me Up plan this winter and hit 34 of the 50 workouts over 10 weeks. It REALLY helped. I increased my FTP by about 15W.

Here's what I like in singular workouts:

Intervals - Gorby, The Wringer, TT#3 Dynamic
Tempo - I do my own tempo workouts and don't usually use a specific plan.
Endurance - SST (Long)

Have you found any favorites yet? Anyone else?

2020-01-18 1:37 PM

User image

So I ran my first 5K. I ran a 9.14 pace, finished in 29.22, and collected an age group 2nd place ribbon.
2020-01-18 1:56 PM

New user
Wauwatosa, WI
Hi Guys, I had a good week of training which included 2 hours of shoveling Wisconsin Heart Attack Snow today!

Nice 5K Scoty and congrats on the 2nd place!

Tom- good to have another WI guy in the group, I’m hoping we have a better effort tomorrow against SF. I’ll either be on my trainer or rower - Go Pack!

Rob D.
2020-01-18 6:34 PM
in reply to: Turner100

Ahh - I remember shoveling snow from my days in NY/NJ. 25+years in Cali now and no turning back.

Congrats on the 5K, Scot. It will be fun to follow how you continue to improve.
2020-01-19 10:16 PM

How's everyone do this weekend? I had a solid training weekend. 8+m run on Saturday, 2850 yard strong swim on Sunday and 2+hr ride on Zwift watching the Niners (sorry WI).

What's going on this week for folks?

I'm trying to get a brick in mid-week and keep upping run and bike time on the weekends. This is my last "up-week" before a rest week.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Rob Schwartz Group - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 5