General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First 70.3 training plan feedback. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2020-01-04 1:23 PM

Subject: First 70.3 training plan feedback.
Has anyone ever used the triathlon.com 20week training plan for the 70.3? If so what were your thoughts as to the overall plan and how well it prepared you for the actual 70.3 race. I just started the plan as I attempt to go from Olympic to 70.3 distance. Any insight would be appreciated. Or if you want to comment on things you learned when going from Olympic to 70.3! This is my third season doing sprint and Olympic distance and this seams like a good training plan but I'm not going to lie it looks pretty dang hard by week 3 out of a 20 week plan. I'm excited to break through and discover what I'm capable of but I for sure have yet to record the level of training on a weekly bases.

2020-01-04 1:32 PM
in reply to: #5265228

Subject: RE: First 70.3 training plan feedback.
I should also add that my goal is to stay injury free so that I can show up on race day and finish. My weakness of the three is the swim my strength would be the run. However I've only ever ran one 1/2 marathon it was flat I did it in 1hr:35min. To swim an 800 take about 16min. I average 16mph on the bike.
2020-01-04 2:49 PM
in reply to: #5265229

User image

Hi Jeff. I don’t have any experience with that plan unfortunately. I used, and still follow, Matt Dixon’s Fast Track Triathlete.

I made the jump from one sprint to the 70.3 distance. Biggest thing I learned is that bike fitness is key. If you overbike, or just lack bike fitness, you are essentially nullifying your run, which you state is your biggest strength.

Nutrition is also a huge deal in the 70.3 distance. An error in calorie and carb intake on the bike will essentially sink your run. Practice your nutrition and hydration every long ride.

Have fun and enjoy the process most of all. 70.3 is a tough distance but it’s also really fun.
2020-01-05 6:47 PM
in reply to: #5265235

Thanks parkland, do you mind if i ask what you did for you carb and calorie intake during your bike and 70.3 race overall.
2020-01-05 9:09 PM
in reply to: #5265263

User image

Hey Jeff. I don’t mind at all.

On the bike I generally shoot for 300-350 calories per hour with 60-70 grams of carbs per hour. On the bike I use tailwind nutrition. 2 scoops in a bottle is 200 calories, 50 grams of carbs as well as a good bit sodium, magnesium and potassium for electrolyte replenishment. I grab a gel at each of the 3 aid stations and that gets me to 300-350 calories and around 60 grams of carbs.

On the run in stick to the same plan but I live off the aid stations, mostly gels and Gatorade endurance. If I’m feeling sluggish I will grab whatever food is there and eat it though. Your body is basically a furnace and you have to keep adding fuel to keep it burning or you bonk.

I take a gel before swim start as well as in T1 and T2. I’ll also have a bottle of tailwind in transition to drink.

Hope this helps! Luckily, my stomach isn’t picky about brands or flavors so I can get away with most anything. Definitely practice your nutrition strategy and look up what on course nutrition is offered so you can practice that as well. Ironman branded races in the US usually offer Gatorade endurance as the drink and GU as the gels.

Fire away if you have any other questions!
2020-01-06 2:29 PM
in reply to: #5265267

Thanks I'm going to start using the Gatorade endurance for a few weeks and then move up to the tailwind and give it a try as the training gets harder and longer. Thanks again this give me a really good jump start on how, what and when to fuel for training and on race day. Sprints and even Olympics don't require getting your nutrition just right. But I'm sure making a mistake in nutrition during a 70.3 will result in failure. Can't wait till I have the knowledge to give back to the tri-community and help along others as you have.

2020-01-06 3:58 PM
in reply to: Jeff Maule

User image

Denver, Colorado
I want to add that smaller sips more frequently are better than half a bottle evey hour. I took few sips of water with electrolite/or Gatorade every 5 minutes.
Same with foods. I had a bite of something every 10 minutes or so.

I also ALWAYS have gummy bears. I take a few every 20-30 minutes. It is a quick sugar for your muscles.

Practice your nutritions intake during training. Never try anything new on the race day.
Also, keep in mind that nutrition and hydration start weeks before the race day, and not on the race day. Usually, I increase both nutrition and hydration significantly a full week before the race.

Good luck and keep us posted!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First 70.3 training plan feedback. Rss Feed