Dallas Athletes Racing
45F / 7C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 33m 8s
Overall Rank = 203/294
Age Group = M 60-64
Age Group Rank = 7/11
Pre-race routine:

Up at about 5am. Bag packed previous day. Pumped tires and put bike in car, put bag in car, left at 5:55. Just after waking up, had a couple of pieces of toast with cinnamon sugar to get some calories in me.
Event warmup:

No warm-up. They kept us in transition until our bibs were called for the pool swim. Made it easy to get transition area set up to my liking...good. But since it was cold out (mid 40s with some wind) we were all kind of shivering in our shoes and struggling to stay warm...bad!
Swim
  • 09m 22s
  • 300 meters
  • 03m 07s / 100 meters
Comments:

Initially disappointed in timing, then realized this was meters and not yards. Still, so was last week and I came out with a poorer time, with a much shorter run to transition. So not sure what's up with that.
What would you do differently?:

Just keep swimming.
Transition 1
  • 01m 59s
Comments:

Quicker than I'd have thought, especially since the bike exit was as far from my spot as possible, literally from one corner to the other.

Not too much.
Bike
  • 44m 40s
  • 12.8 miles
  • 17.19 mile/hr
Comments:

Incorporated roughly 4 x 5 minute tougher intervals, starting roughly just before the first loop. Two minutes easy riding (if possible; hills intervened) in between. Just measured this by the way my legs felt. Came out of the aerobars only on sharp turns and a couple of times on the hills. Pulled feet from shoes about a quarter-mile out.

Nothing; good ride.
Transition 2
  • 03m 1s
Comments:

Ran in the new Hokas, so did put on socks here, which I guess is what took so dang long. Got off the bike and jogged barefoot through transition well enough, but sitting down to put on and tie shoes evidently took some time.

From this point on I need to bring back sockless brick runs so I can start getting used to that. Only concerned about the shoes; don't want to use the Hokas since that'll really abuse them; will have to evaluate options..
Run
  • 34m 6s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 11m  min/mile
Comments:

Followed my pacing and interval plan pretty spot on but got tired enough that I did do more walking than anticipated, including a tough uphill section late in the run that I walked for maybe 45 seconds. I knew I could finish in roughly 34 minutes, but had hoped for somewhere in the 33:30 range. Guess walking that 45 seconds versus slow jogging is probably what cost me. Was plenty tired afterwards, though, so it's not like I lallygagged.

Beginning to think age is catching up to me since I seem physically incapable of improving my run times. I obviously have the endurance to finish; I'm not wheezing or struggling to breathe; chest not hurting or burning; so...what then? HR averaged HR max. Had planned to push for the second mile, and it was my fastest at 10:54, but not too different from 11:06 first mile. HR maxed at 180 in both first and second miles. Difficult to imagine that I'm just being lazy. Will continue to keep training.
Post race
Warm down:

Caught a breath, got a bottle of water, and made my way slowly back to transition.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Running fitness is evidently the problem, but I'm struggling to figure out how to improve it and get faster.

Event comments:

Great to see DAR racing again. Fun event, well managed, done up right. Good protocols for this Covid/post-Covid era. Highly recommend these guys.

Last updated: 2021-03-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:22 | 300 meters | 03m 07s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/11
Overall: 245/294
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Snaking pool swim, 50m lanes.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:59
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:44:40 | 12.8 miles | 17.19 mile/hr
Overall: 155/294
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Two loop course in and around Keller Boulevard and the Keller ISD Natatorium and neighborhood.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
T2
Time: 03:01
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:34:06 | 03.1 miles | 11m  min/mile
Overall: 238/294
Performance: Below average
Course: Out and back on a paved path through a nice local neighborhood park system, lots of shade and pleasant spring growth, and even some artistic sculptures.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes