General Discussion Race Reports! » 2021 WTC Finals Edmonton - Community Race Sprint Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

2021 WTC Finals Edmonton - Community Race Sprint - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Edmonton, Alberta
Canada
12C / 54F
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 32m 57s
Overall Rank = 64/155
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 3/4
Event warmup:

I biked from the car park to Hawrelak park, which was probably a couple of kilometers, just to make sure that my gears and everything on the bike was working properly. About half an hour before we were being corralled, I did a 5 minute run and some dynamics as well. They did not permit a swim warm up.
Swim
  • 14m 33s
  • 750 meters
  • 01m 56s / 100 meters
Comments:

I really had an awful swim. I had a panic attack in the first 100m where I just couldn't breathe and every time I tried to put my head in the water for 3 strokes, I completely panicked. I reverted to breast stroke for probably about 30 seconds, and then I went to freestyle where I breathed every 2 strokes, and still mixed in a bit of breast stroke when I needed to get my bearings. I actually didn't do a terrible job with navigating my course, which was the one good thing of the swim. I guess the other good thing in the swim, which was when I finally found my rhythm I caught up to a few people and practiced drafting off of them, which maybe slowed me down because I could have potentially passed them but figured maybe I should conserve energy, which is a theme in this whole triathlon... conserving energy and being way too conservative for the swim, bike, and run.
Transition 1
  • 03m 12s
Comments:

This triathlon has a very long run to the transition area, which I definitely always find to be a struggle, but I get through it. I didn't have a great transition as I struggled with getting my wetsuit off. Otherwise, the transition was pretty average and definitely something I need to practice more
Bike
  • 47m 22s
  • 23.2 kms
  • 29.39 km/hr
Comments:

I think my bike was pretty solid, but maybe a little bit too conservative. I feel like I executed the hills well, but missed some opportunity to push a little more on the downhill and flat portions of the bike.
Transition 2
  • 01m 49s
Comments:

No real comments here. It was just another average transition.
Run
  • 26m 1s
  • 5 kms
  • 05m 12s  min/km
Comments:

This run was nothing special. I did run the whole time, which was the main goal, but it wasn't necessarily fast and it wasn't necessarily slow. It just was. When I finished, I felt like I had more left in the tank, which is never how you want to run a race, so that was disappointing. I didn't really watch my pace during the race. I just focused on quick cadence, but at the same time I didn't want to go out too hard and die either so I did somewhat try to run conservatively. As it turns out, too conservatively. That being said, I did feel like I struggled to bring up the pace in the last kilometer, which was the plan. I just felt flat during the run.

The run is still where I lose it. I was passed by another girl in my age group, which really sucked. She is clearly a very strong runner though because I saw her also run through two other people who passed me and her final run time was about the same as my PB in just running in general (23:36). I really need to improve my run time because that is where I lose the race every single time.
Post race
Warm down:

Just walking around the venue

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I was waaaay too conservative and didn't know what my body could handle/was afraid to push myself too hard

Last updated: 2021-08-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:33 | 750 meters | 01m 56s / 100meters
Age Group: 2/4
Overall: 52/155
Performance: Bad
Suit: Sleeveless Wet Suit
Course: Hawrelak Park Pond
Start type: Dive Plus:
Water temp: 19C / 66F Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:12
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:47:22 | 23.2 kms | 29.39 km/hr
Age Group: 2/4
Overall: 56/155
Performance: Good
Wind: Cross-winds
Course: Hilly
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:49
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:26:01 | 05 kms | 05m 12s  min/km
Age Group: 3/4
Overall: 64/155
Performance: Average
My watch and the actual time are slightly different, and my watch only shows the run as 4.95km with my average pace as 5:16/km and total time was 26:06. My splits were: 1 - 5:11.0 2 - 5:25.7 3 - 5:20.2 4 - 5:20.5 5 - 4:49.1 (5:04 pace)
Course: Half on trail with slight incline/decline, half on pavement which was fairly flat
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2021-08-23 12:01 PM

Subject: 2021 WTC Finals Edmonton - Community Race Sprint
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 2021 WTC Finals Edmonton - Community Race Sprint Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Lum's Pond Sprint Triathlon

Started by crowny2
Views: 614 Posts: 1

2021-08-12 1:52 PM crowny2

Diamond in the Rough - Sprint Course 2021

Started by crowny2
Views: 594 Posts: 1

2021-07-12 11:01 AM crowny2

Steelman Racing Nockamixon Swim Challenge

Started by melbo55
Views: 849 Posts: 7