General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help with first set of aerobars? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2021-09-22 9:35 AM

Subject: Help with first set of aerobars?
Hello all! I have decided that i'm going to be doing a Ironman 70.3 towards the beginning of next year. Fun, fun! I'm going to be starting a training regimen and I would like to add a set of clip-on aerobars to my bike. I've got a Trek 1500SLR. I know it's not a fancy tri-bike but it's solid, in great shape and serves it's purpose lol This will actually be my first triathlon. I may find a couple of others between now and the Ironman but we will see.

The problem is I know nothing about aerobars. I have never used them. I'm not looking to spend a lot of money on a set at this point. I've read to find a set of Profile Design t2+ bars but i haven't been able to find a solid set anywhere. I did find a set of Sonic Ergo T5+ AL bars on sale on Profile Designs site but can't find any info on them.

https://profile-design.com/collections/sale-1/products/t5-aluminum

What do i need to be looking for here? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2021-10-19 10:35 AM
in reply to: dmccall1988

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Subject: RE: Help with first set of aerobars?
I think either set will be fine. I went with the T2+ but looking at both they are pretty similar. I still have the T2+ on my trainer bike setup. I went with aerobars on my road bike for my first 3-4 years before I got a TT bike. Start with the arm pads at their widest setting. This will feel the most stable as you're learning to use them. As you get more comfortable you can move the arm pads closer together which will improve aerodynamics.

To get the best TT position using aerobars I ended up getting a professional fitting. That resulted in a Fast Forward Seatpost that brought my saddle closer to the front and a long stem for the handlebars. You will be "fine" with just adding the aerobars and you will be more aero but you will get better improvements with the additional adjustments with the saddle and possibly a new stem.

Start off by only going down on the bars on safe straight sections of the road then build from there.
2021-10-20 12:45 AM
in reply to: reecealan

Subject: RE: Help with first set of aerobars?
Originally posted by reecealan

I think either set will be fine. I went with the T2+ but looking at both they are pretty similar. I still have the T2+ on my trainer bike setup. I went with aerobars on my road bike for my first 3-4 years before I got a TT bike. Start with the arm pads at their widest setting. This will feel the most stable as you're learning to use them. As you get more comfortable you can move the arm pads closer together which will improve aerodynamics.

To get the best TT position using aerobars I ended up getting a professional fitting. That resulted in a Fast Forward Seatpost that brought my saddle closer to the front and a long stem for the handlebars. You will be "fine" with just adding the aerobars and you will be more aero but you will get better improvements with the additional adjustments with the saddle and possibly a new stem.

Start off by only going down on the bars on safe straight sections of the road then build from there.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help with first set of aerobars? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Completed - First 70.3

Started by jdwyer02
Views: 1519 Posts: 12

2021-08-24 3:05 PM Swimbikeron

Buoyancy Shorts - do they help

Started by 1stepforward
Views: 1128 Posts: 9

2021-06-12 8:26 AM McFuzz

Help....Wetsuit tight on neck, Will this improve?

Started by BYL
Views: 903 Posts: 2

2021-04-01 1:24 PM briderdt

First Back to Back races one day after the next?

Started by Jeff Maule
Views: 1089 Posts: 5

2021-03-31 5:38 PM frenzers

First Prologue Question?

Started by Jeff Maule
Views: 689 Posts: 2

2021-04-06 7:04 AM dmiller5