Dallas Athletes Racing
63F / 17C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 33m 12s
Overall Rank = 270/354
Age Group = M 60-64
Age Group Rank = 21/25
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:45, ate a bagel. Pumped up tires, loaded bike into car, woke up TSW and drove to site.
Event warmup:

Shivering in the wind and strolling around transition until they called our group to the pool, then shivering in the wind just outside the pool. No more than that.
Swim
  • 07m 13s
  • 275 meters
  • 02m 37s / 100 meters
Comments:

Followed my plan here, going 50y lengths as 5x5 strokes, 4 x 2 strokes, 3x3, 3x2 to one side, then 3x2 to both sides, then the last 25y just getting to the end. Got a little tired about midway through, but nothing I couldn't deal with. Seems like the four or five people I was standing near - who'd have estimated their time roughly comparable to mine - were all either training for Half Iron races or had recently completed one. WTH? No wonder I dropped down in percentile rankings!
What would you do differently?:

Need to work on getting under lane lines and into the next lane. Noticed a couple of times that people I was right next to at one lane's end, somehow ended up 10 feet in front of me when I got into the next lane. They're pushing off at completion wall and going under the line. Me? I'm stopping, ducking my head under the line, then pushing off the new wall. Takes time. I expected about seven minutes, so I wasn't far off. But maybe I can do better?
Transition 1
  • 02m 19s
Comments:

Didn't want to push too hard and be breathing hard at start of bike, so I kept this pretty tame. Didn't waste much time, but I was moving slower than I normally would.
Bike
  • 42m 50s
  • 11.5 miles
  • 16.11 mile/hr
Comments:

Plan was to ride reasonably hard but within myself, trying not to reach an effort level that triggered any burn in the legs, other than on the hills. Also, using all of my gears, including small ring, to keep things more efficient and keep the burn down.

Worked pretty well, but did result in a much slower ride than last year (although I was further into my training plan last year, by about a month).

Also very windy out, with some hefty gusts, made things harder.

I don't think anything. Effort level was OK on the bike, a good ride, particularly with the wind we were facing. And even as slow as it was, I still got back to the rack before anybody else did.
Transition 2
  • 02m 45s
Comments:

Very slow here because I had to sit down and pull on my socks over wet feet, then my shoes, then tie my shoes. Last year I'd been training to run sockless and was using laceless Zoots. Those changes alone would make the time difference here.

Nothing. Time will come down once I get to running sockless.
Run
  • 38m 4s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 12m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

I knew my time would not be good here; turned out worse than anticipated. Knew the chest issue would rear up, and probably early, which it did. So I had a very specific plan here to treat this run just like my weekly runs, including the walking breaks, although I planned to reduce them from a minute to 45-50 seconds. Also, using the data from the new Stryd, I wanted to keep my run power in the 180s. Then, in the second half of the race, I wanted to do several minutes of increased pace every 20 seconds over the course of a minute.

I managed to do all of that; the only out-of-plan aspect was, later in the race, I found myself walking after the intervals because I needed the walk time to catch my breath.

All of that resulted in a very slow run, which is apparently going to be par for the course going forward, unless and until the chest issue goes away.

Get used to being slow. Training slower, which I probably should've been doing all of these years anyway, so that maybe I can adapt a little better and get a little faster under these physical restrictions.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around with my hands on my head taking deep breaths, then sucking down a bottle of water. Wanted to avoid having the excessive dizziness and light-headedness I had after last November's tri. So I just moved slow, kept walking. Didn't have that issue.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Only two weeks into training, so likely a little slower on the bike than I eventually will be, although the wind had an impact today too. Obviously my running issues, which don't seem to be going away, although they also, thankfully, aren't getting worse.

Event comments:

Very well organized, as always. Started a little later than advertised but I believe that was due to local authorities getting set up on the course. Definitely a fun race I'd recommend to anyone.

Last updated: 2022-04-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:13 | 275 meters | 02m 37s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/25
Overall: 272/354
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Snaking Pool Swim
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:19
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:42:50 | 11.5 miles | 16.11 mile/hr
Overall: 210/354
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Two-loop out and back, kind of shaped like a lazy Y.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:45
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:38:04 | 03.1 miles | 12m 17s  min/mile
Overall: 303/354
Performance: Below average
Course: Winding route through the local park.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes