Mike Murphy
80F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 48m 6s
Overall Rank = 10/50
Age Group = 20-29
Age Group Rank = 5/5
Pre-race routine:

Race start was 10am, so was able to wake up at a reasonable hour and get some coffee and breakfast. Had my bags ready and bike had not moved since diamondman, so loaded the truck and made the 10 min drive to race site. Got to the race site early, got a good spot on the rack and made my way to the porta john - you make quite a splash if you are the first one in!!

Event warmup:

I have put in 1000+ miles this year and had no big trouble. last time I rode was a diamondman and the chain dropped. race mechanic looked at it, made some adjustments and all appeared to be fine. Figured I'd better go for a quick spin before racking my bike, so shoes on and down the road I went - 100yds....dropped the chain when shifting from big to small. put it back on and went back to trans area - now I could not shift from small to big - @#$@^*%^$%#@. threw my bike into transition and with minimal tools and the help from a friend I was able to get it into the big ring - and that's where it stayed for the race. Then I was just pissed and any other re-race warmups went out the window.
Swim
  • 24h 16m 7s
  • 1200 meters
  • 2h 01m 20s / 100 meters
Comments:

felt awesome - best swim performance in any race
What would you do differently?:

nothing
Transition 1
  • 03m
Comments:

got out of the water, run up the beach and then had a 300 meter run back to transition area. was able to set shoes up right out of the swim (much like diamondman) caught #1 guy in the mini transition area - he was beat and sat down while putting his shoes on - I got my wetsuit off real easy, shoes on and I was running down to transition. got to the bike and was out of real transition in about 30secs. I was in 1st now heading out on to the bike. It was awesome coming into trans in #1 and having people cheer.

shoes on bike.....running with bike jumping on.......

next year
Bike
  • 1h 15m
  • 25 miles
  • 20.00 mile/hr
Comments:

so got going on the bike and it felt great to be #1. I lead for about 15mins and was riding at about 22/23. I then came to a fork in the road - I missed the small spary painted arrow in the road and there were no marshalls. Well, I chose wrong. I went left when I should have gone right. Thankfully the eventual race winner saw me go left and yelled at me. I stopped, turned around a made my way back to him, we then both stopped and deliberated over which way to go. he said he thought he saw an arrow in the road a few meters back, so we went to find that and decided to go straight. Thankfully he was right, otherwise I would have been screwed - literally, it's 'Deliverance' country down some of those back roads. There was no bike course map to review and no written directions either. Going left followed the main road whereas going straight took you onto more of a dirt road - oh well. Lost a good bit of momentum and wasted a lot of time turning around etc.... Talked with the guy until we saw another race marshall and we knew we were right and then we got back to it. Ended up getting passed by a couple more riders - Gene Bachman caught me at about mile 20 - he had a rear disc and was facing some strong cross winds! was fighting some strong winds coming back in and speeds got down to around 14/15 mph. Glad to get off the bike. Legs felt good though.

duhhhh!
Transition 2
  • 00m 40s
Comments:

pretty good transition - same story, shoes
Run
  • 1h 02m 20s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 10m 03s  min/mile
Comments:

overall went pretty well. felt good coming off the bike and took the first 1/2 mile pretty easy getting into the rhythm. took my fuel belt again, glad I did - I tend to need a lot of fluid! not sure how accurate the hals way point was, but base on my watch I ran a negative split 34 / 28. Bettered my run time from TriAmerica by 3/4 minutes which was great.

run faster?
Post race
Warm down:

felt good when done, had some water nutrigrain bar gat endur. Got changed, put my bike in the truck and went back for the post race. My wife was in a gazebo giving post race massages - I grabbed a chair by the pool, a big jar of peanuts, an ice cold Yuengling and made myself at home listening to the live music and talking to folks. Kept warming down with numerous yuenglings through the afternoon. a couple of hours after I finished I felt like I needed to warm down more, so I had another yuengling!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

carrying 230lbs on the run

Event comments:

This race is awesome for a year end race. I did a whole lot better than I thought I would after not anything since diamondman. Great experience of leading the race - even though it was a small field, my bike was the first to leave the transition area! that felt great for a final race of the year.

Given me inspiration for next year - going to have fun over the winter and then get back to it next year.

Last updated: 2006-02-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
24:16:07 | 1200 meters | 2h 01m 20s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/5
Overall: 2/50
Performance: Good
168 avg
Suit: orca sleeveless
Course: You look at the distance and look at the time!!! something was off. I was movnig real good on the swim, we all went out in one wave for the olympic, 50+ people. I got a good start and was able to sight well and hugged the buoy line. real stiff cross wind headed out and 3-4' swell as we got further out into the bay. made a turn at the last buoy headed parallel to the beach, straight into the head wind. I got round that buoy in 3rd and coming in made up some good ground on the 1st guy. overtook 2nd place guy and was swimming real strong. Based on my p/e and the time I greatly question the distance!! the last 100 yards in was dolphin dives and the #1 guy was shot at that point and was closing in on him quick.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: High
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:00
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:15:00 | 25 miles | 20.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/5
Overall: 4/50
170avg I think it was one of the 'strange reading' days - p/e was way below what the hr was reading
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: loop through the rural bayside of the eastern shore - nice quiet roads, all but one corner well marked.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Bad Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:40
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:02:20 | 06.2 miles | 10m 03s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/5
Overall: 0/50
173 avg
Course: out and back with a couple of small out and backs for the distance. quiet roads, got hot, but there was some good tree cover
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-09-25 1:18 PM

User image

New user

Subject: Crystal Beach

2006-09-26 5:26 PM
in reply to: #550972

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta
Subject: RE: Crystal Beach
Nice report dude! That's awesome you were the first out of T-1! Glad to hear your last race of the season went well and your ampted for the next one to come.

Shanks
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Crystal Beach Rss Feed