On Hill Events
45F / 7C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 34m 9s
Overall Rank = 43/73
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 2/5
Pre-race routine:

7 Been a long time since I've done a race (Over 7 years), So I felt a bit disorganized, and didn't really have a good strategy in getting ready. Had a bagel and orange juice for breakfast, which was good. Got my transition set up.

One big challenge today was deciding how to dress. At race start time it was just over 40 degrees, but it was sunny and felt really good. I had leg warmers, gloves, tights, and a jacket with me -- but ultimately just did the race in just my bib shorts and Jersey. Was actually fairly comfortable that way
Event warmup:

Arrived about 15 minutes later than planned. Had plenty of time to do a warm up, but really didn't get it done. Just moving the fairly short distance from the parking lot to the bike staging area, pick up timing chip and get ready to go
Run
  • 19m 56s
  • 1.64 miles
  • 12m 09s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out a bit too fast, and paid dearly for it. Struggled a bunch with keeping heart rate under 160. I find when I break 160 for very long, I slow WAY down and struggle. But I pushed through, as ugly as it was.
What would you do differently?:

Train for the run!!!!! I've only done 4 runs of 2-3 miles since November 2022. I need to get back outdoors and running on somewhat a regular cadence if I wish to improve in this area.
Transition 1
  • 03m 21s
Comments:

MUCH longer than needed transition. Wasn't as organized in the transition area as I could be, and that didn't help. Haven't practiced a transition in a LONG time. Also, purposely took it slow, as I needed to get my breathing and heart rate under control before heading out on the bike

Have transition area better organized. Be in better overall condition for the even
Bike
  • 43m 15s
  • 12.03 miles
  • 16.69 mile/hr
Comments:

This portion of the race was what saved the day for me. I worked hard, but was comfortable on the bike. Pace was just shy of 17 MPH overall, so I'm very pleased with that number.

The training I've been doing on Zwift really has paid off, even though I've only been using it for about 2 months. Prior to that -- 3 months of absolutely NO riding or running

Might have pushed just a bit harder than I did. But I didn't want to totally drain the tank before the second run
Transition 2
  • 03m 42s
Comments:

Again intentionally took the transition more slowly than I would have normally. because I needed a bit of a rest before hitting the run. I was again poorly organized on my approach to the entire transition

Same as T1 -- Just focus on being more smooth and organized.
Run
  • 23m 54s
  • 1.62 miles
  • 14m 45s  min/mile
Comments:

This run was terrible. Less than a quarter mile in, hips began to hurt badly. Tried hard to make sure I ran as much as I could, even if it was a slower pace. I considered DNF'ing the run a couple of times, but I knew that would make me feel defeated. So I accepted what the course would give me, and plugged along to the finish. I succeeded

TRAIN, TRAIN, TRAIN.
Determine what was causing so much discomfort in the hips
Post race
Warm down:

Walked off my heart rate, kept moving to keep from tightening up more than I did

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The Obvious -- CLEAR lack of training for the run. I had wrongly assumed that my bike training would carry over into the run... It didn't...

Poor sleep night before didn't help

Need to start stretching out time in the saddle

Event comments:

This was an excellent first in a long time race for me. While I was not nearly as prepared for it as I could have been, I knew going in that it was not going to be my best race ever, particularly on the run portion. But I'm REALLY glad I did it.

Had issues with Garmin transitioning in multisport. If I'd have been smarter I wouldn't have tried to use the multisport capability on the Garmin (since it's been forever since I've used it) and just used my Garmin watch for the run and my Garmin Edge for the bike. Tried to use extended display on the Edge, and multisport the watch, and it just was a mess.

Race director does a great job, was friendly, kind, and kept things moving in a good way. I'd definitely run this race again in the future.

Last updated: 2023-04-15 12:00 AM
Running
00:19:56 | 01.64 miles | 12m 09s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/5
Overall: 49/73
Performance: Bad
Course: Flat - Southbound out and back from race starting point along the Legacy Parkway trail
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
T1
Time: 03:21
Overall: Below average
Run with bike? Below average
Jump on bike? Bad
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
00:43:15 | 12.03 miles | 16.69 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/5
Overall: 16/73
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Northbound on Legacy Parkway Trail - out and back.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 03:42
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:23:54 | 01.62 miles | 14m 45s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/5
Overall: 50/73
Performance: Bad
Course: Same as Run 1
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2023-04-16 8:03 PM

User image

Expert
Tremonton, Utah
Subject: Legacy Duathlon Sprint
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Legacy Duathlon Sprint Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Treadman Duathlon

Started by mjewen
Views: 344 Posts: 1

2022-11-27 1:04 PM mjewen

Asheville Triathlon (Virtual Duathlon)

Started by mchisholm
Views: 492 Posts: 1

2022-07-28 12:01 PM mchisholm

Pat Griskus-Sprint (Oly/DU/Sprint-options)

Started by dtoce
Views: 678 Posts: 5

2022-06-28 6:06 PM dtoce

SPRING Hawk Island Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by TJList
Views: 554 Posts: 1

2022-06-05 9:38 PM TJList

General Smallwood Sprint Triathlon

Started by jmhpsu93
Views: 1055 Posts: 6

2022-05-24 10:37 PM bulfrog