United States
37F / 3C
Overcast
Total Time = 34m 48s
Overall Rank = 11/1107
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 1/67
Pre-race routine:

Oatmeal at Danielle's apt. Made final decision on race attire (long sleeve thermal, shorts, headband, knit mittens).
Event warmup:

1.8 miles with a few strides (switched into Vaporflys and shed layers after 1 mile), plus some dynamic stretches.
Run
  • 34m 48s
  • 10 kms
  • 03m 29s  min/km
Comments:

Goal was to go under 36 for a PR. I thought with a perfect run I could break 35. Coming off the ultra less than 3 weeks ago, and with a very minor adductor niggle, I wasn't sure "perfect" would be in the cards. Started out pretty fast, but it didn't feel too bad that first mile. Tried to get in behind someone for a bit to block the (slight) wind heading out, but after a couple of minutes I didn't love his tangents, and forged ahead alone.

I hit the 5k mark around 17:20 (my 2nd fastest ever), and just hoped I could hold on to break 35. Got a lot of shout outs from runners headed the other direction after the turnaround which was really cool! Somewhere in the mile 4-5 range, I finally caught up to the guy ahead of me, who I was pretty sure was Thomas O'Grady (a spectator would soon confirm this). Have never once beaten him, coming pretty close at the R4R HM recently. Once I made the pass I told myself "now you DEFINITELY can't slow down and let him out kick you".

Coming past the 6 mile marker I knew I had a shot, as long as the course wasn't long. The finish is long, but with great crowd support I pushed just a little more and came in with a massive massive PR.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Post race
Warm down:

Walked and jogged a little back to the start area where I stashed my stuff. Did a little stretching and changed into dry clothes. Lingered around, buying a brownie and getting my award (a hat) for winning my AG. Pretty amazed at such a huge event that I placed so high. Watched the 5k start and the speedsters finished, then headed out.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing, awesome performance.

Event comments:

So happy with how I was able to wrap up an incredible 2023 here. So very thankful.

Last updated: 2023-11-24 12:00 AM
Running
00:34:48 | 10 kms | 03m 29s  min/km
Age Group: 1/67
Overall: 11/1107
Performance: Good
Course: Essentially an out and back on pancake flat Troy roads.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes