General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Question...What defines a person as a Tri-Athlete? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2003-12-19 12:55 PM

Subject: Question...What defines a person as a Tri-Athlete?
What defines a person as a Tri-Athlete?

As a new guy just starting out, I want to know, when can I call myself a "Tri-Athlete"?

Tribble

2003-12-19 8:46 PM
in reply to: #2698

User image

Champion
Gold member
Subject: RE: Question...What defines a person as a Tri-Athlete?
wow...thats totally subjective.  for me it was right after my first tri.  although i had a longer than planned hiatus.  did i lose my status?  OR can one call themselves a triathlete if they are at least training in all 3 disciplines???
2003-12-19 11:35 PM

Tribble,

Your question is something that you have to answer for yourself. No one, can or should doubt your credibility when you tell them that you are a Tri-Athelete.

Personally, the way i see it. If you aspire to be a Tri-athelete and you are doing something about it, training for it. You are already one.

After all, a for painter who doesn't exhibit his art work, doesn't mean that he is any less of an artist as those in the galleries.

Like what Ron said... it's highly subjective.

Mandara.

p.s. i'm a newbie too <>
2003-12-20 8:56 AM

User image

Central Louisiana
That is a good question! I used to worry that if I didn't run as fast somebody else if I was really running. But the definition of a runner is someone who runs, not someone who runs fast or really really fast, it is just someone who runs. I trained for about six months specifically for a short little sprint triathlon that was a 150 yard swim, 10 mile bike and 1.5 mile run. When I crossed the finish line, the other triathletes welcomed me to their world. I never really thought I was a triathlete until I did my first event, but if you haven't completed an event, and you call yourself a triathlete, that's fine with me.

My opinion really comes down to this, you call yourself what your comfortable with and if that is a triathlete, that is fine with me. I am not going to become unfocused because of a definition of a triathlete. Whether your wanting to be a triathlete or if you are one, you are welcome in this sport.

Still Tri'n,
Michael
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Question...What defines a person as a Tri-Athlete? Rss Feed