General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Triathlon-widows replacing Golf-widows in our PTA Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-10-02 12:10 PM

User image

Expert
SF-Bay Area
Subject: Triathlon-widows replacing Golf-widows in our PTA

I overheard my wife this weekend comisserating with the wife of buddy that they are now triathlon-widows--and were not the only ones in the PTA for that matter.

When I inquired of my wife about this later, she said that lately more and more of the PTA wives have been transformed from golf-widows to triathlon-widows.  So, I'm guessing this whole triathlon thing is on the uptrend in suburbiaville.  Seems alot of midlife-crisis prone gents like myself have hung up the golf spikes and donned runners, bikes, and speedos instead.

Just a little sociological snippet for you to chew on....

2006-10-02 12:19 PM
in reply to: #557732

User image

Expert
Sherman Oaks, CA
Subject: RE: Triathlon-widows replacing Golf-widows in our PTA
guncollector - 2006-10-02 12:10 PM

I overheard my wife this weekend comisserating with the wife of buddy that they are now triathlon-widows--and were not the only ones in the PTA for that matter.

When I inquired of my wife about this later, she said that lately more and more of the PTA wives have been transformed from golf-widows to triathlon-widows. So, I'm guessing this whole triathlon thing is on the uptrend in suburbiaville. Seems alot of midlife-crisis prone gents like myself have hung up the golf spikes and donned runners, bikes, and speedos instead.

Just a little sociological snippet for you to chew on....

Lol. I can relate. Look at my nickname!

My wife used to complain about how I played golf too much. Now I swim, bike and run too much. Can't ever 'win'.

I used to be a very competitive golfer (was down to a one-handicap). It just stopped doing much for me besides draining the bank account and turning me into a mental midget. The benefits of a good run feel so much better than shooting a good round of golf.

Cheers
2006-10-02 12:25 PM
in reply to: #557753

User image

Expert
SF-Bay Area

I used to be a very competitive golfer (was down to a one-handicap). It just stopped doing much for me besides draining the bank account and turning me into a mental midget. The benefits of a good run feel so much better than shooting a good round of golf. Cheers

Wow, I don't know many bros who'd walk away from an index that low. But, hey, Bjorn Borg walked away on top...

Also, are you saying that triathlon is not draining the bank account? LOL!

Edited by guncollector 2006-10-02 12:26 PM
2006-10-02 12:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Abilene, Texas
I love golf but gave it up because I could never improve no matter how much I worked on it. I was having a hard time breaking 100 and in my one and only stroke play tourney came in dead last.

The great thing about triathlon is if you do the work you WILL get faster.
2006-10-02 1:07 PM
in reply to: #557764

User image

Expert
Sherman Oaks, CA
guncollector - 2006-10-02 12:25 PM

I used to be a very competitive golfer (was down to a one-handicap). It just stopped doing much for me besides draining the bank account and turning me into a mental midget. The benefits of a good run feel so much better than shooting a good round of golf. Cheers

Wow, I don't know many bros who'd walk away from an index that low. But, hey, Bjorn Borg walked away on top...

Also, are you saying that triathlon is not draining the bank account? LOL!

Lol. Caught! I do spend a ton on triathlon gear. Put a magazine in front of me, flash a 10% quick discount, and I am sure I will buy it.

I am now a 6 handicap who thinks I am still a one. Painful. I don't practice and I get worse. Self-fulfilling cycle. Getting a ball in a hole doesn't thrill me as much as doing the HIM I just signed up for in March 2007.

The good thing about golf and triathlons is that you can do them for life.

Cheers
2006-10-03 7:23 AM

User image

Master
Centennial, CO
I grew up playing golf.  Can go out and shoot about mid 80's without practicing.  My problem was to get much better takes a lot of practice/time and I'd rather waste the day on a 4 hour  bike ride than a 4+ hour $60 round of golf.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Triathlon-widows replacing Golf-widows in our PTA Rss Feed