General Discussion Race Reports! » 2006 St. Peters REC-PLEX Fall Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

2006 St. Peters REC-PLEX Fall Triathlon - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
St. Peters, Missouri
United States
St. Peters Rec-Plex Natatorium Foundation
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 12m 56s
Overall Rank = 247/378
Age Group = W30-34
Age Group Rank = 9/24
Pre-race routine:

Set alarm for 4:45 (I slept great until 2:45 and then laid awake most of the time before the alarm went off - I guess it was nerves) Showered and got ready. Made oatmeal and force fed myself (how does anyone eat so early?). Packed transition bag. I was a little nervous and just wanted to get started. We got to the Rec-Plex a little before 6:00 and picked a rack spot on the end close to the run entrance.
Event warmup:

Set up rack/transition and walked around a bit - mostly back and forth to the restroom (Nerves). It was chilly but warmed up quickly. I had a protein slimfast around 7:00. We jogged for a few minutes and stetched a little. Our friends came and we gave them the run down on how things work and showed them around. Stretched some more by the pool bleachers and then went down to the swim start position with Joe. Nerves really set in once he was off. Mingled with people around me on the swim - very funny guys. Everyone was chatty - once again NERVES.
Swim
  • 11m 1s
  • 500 meters
  • 02m 12s / 100 meters
Comments:

Very narrow lanes for first 4 links. Passed two women doing the breast stroke. Their leg kick consumed more than the width of the entire lane. I tapped their ankle like you were suppose to but they did not respond. Very difficult to pass and I was slowed down a lot while I tried to figure out the best way to get by them. A guy then passed me (without the ankle tap-very rude)He pushed the left side of my upper body under just as I was getting a breathe. I inhaled water and choked - it took a few breast strokes to get over that one. Then off I went. It was great the rest of the way.

I have one comment about the end - (I do things by the book and don't like it when corners are cut)- if you are going to use the ladder to exit the pool swim to end, touch, then swim to the ladder. I saw a lot of people who in my mind did not complete the swim.
What would you do differently?:

I know it's how this sport works but it would be nice if they are going to have such narrow lanes they would not allow breast stroke in those lanes. I didn't want to mess anyone up and I wanted to get by really bad. For the rude guy that passed me - TAP ON THE ANKLE (I will kindly move aside).

Next time instead of swimming to the end of the lane and then going under the divider and pushing off, I would swim under the divider as I came to the end and push off in the new lane.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Very light jog out of pool. My head was pounding. Didn't move fast -trying to remember everything I needed to do. I had to find my Ibuprofen which took a little time.

PRACTICE. I'd never done this before and I certainly could get it done faster. I would get a rack closer to the bike start/finish so that I didn't have to run so far with the bike. I would rather run farther out of the swim and on my way to the run start than run with my bike.

Take Ibuprofen before the swim so I didn't have to take the time to find it.
Bike
  • 1h 18m 45s
  • 21 miles
  • 16.00 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike was great. I could of pushed it more but I remember Joe saying not to go too hard because I wouldn't have anything left for the run. I wanted to go more but held back just in case. It was very flat except for the very beginning and end. Weather was awesome. I passed two women and got passed by a few men. Ate my jelly beans which was challenging to get them out of the wrapper - this slowed me down some. I had fun during this leg.

Go harder for sure! I would substitute a gel for the beans because it would be easier.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

I walked my bike back to the rack. Once again a reason to rack close to the bike finish.

Rack closer to the bike finish
Run
  • 43m 10s
  • 5 miles
  • 08m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out thinking - how was I going to get through this one? - but I had myself convinced I would have trouble with this one before the race even started because running is not my thing. It actually quickly began to feel pretty good. My legs weren't jello and nothing hurt on my body. I could of pushed it a bit more in the beginning but I was worried about conserving energy. I did not want to walk - and I didn't.

One comment I do have - (due to my "by the book/keep everything fair" personality) - DON"T CUT CORNERS! I saw several people cut the corner where you crossed the road about 1/3 of the way in/out. It certainly would of made a time differece for some, at least 10 seconds, which after looking at the finish times means a lot. Once again, in my mind, some people didn't finish the run leg because they did not run the correct course.

Know the course before hand. I didn't know what might be yet to come so I held back a bit just in case.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and visited with Joe, Chris, and Phil. Got our stuff packed up and loaded in the truck. We went back to the hotel, cleaned up, and headed to lunch with our friends. I hoped we would get back to the Rec-Plex before everything was over but we didn't.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The fear of the unknown. I had never put all three events together and didn't know what to expect as far as fatique.

Event comments:

I had a lot of fun for my first triathlon. I achieved my goal of finishing without walking on the run and completing it under 2:30. The weather was awesome.

Last updated: 2006-09-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:01 | 500 meters | 02m 12s / 100meters
Age Group: 10/24
Overall: 184/378
Performance: Average
Suit: tri shorts/top
Course:
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:18:45 | 21 miles | 16.00 mile/hr
Overall: 256/378
Wind: Little
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:43:10 | 05 miles | 08m 38s  min/mile
Overall: 233/378
Performance: Good
Course: Narrow paved trails with some bumpy up and downs. Scenic.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-10-04 9:30 PM

Subject: 2006 St. Peters REC-PLEX Fall Triathlon

2006-10-04 9:35 PM
in reply to: #561040

User image

Expert
Springfield, MO
Subject: RE: 2006 St. Peters REC-PLEX Fall Triathlon

Good Job ! !

I'm proud of you

2006-10-05 8:39 PM
in reply to: #561040

User image

Expert
Herndon VA
Subject: RE: 2006 St. Peters REC-PLEX Fall Triathlon

Congratulations on your first tri and welcome to BT.  For not being your thing that was a great run time.  Reading your description of your swim reminds me of why I don't like pool tris.  Once again, great race.

Ernie

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 2006 St. Peters REC-PLEX Fall Triathlon Rss Feed