United States
Susan G Komen Foundation
Sunny
Total Time = 32m 10s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5am and downed some wheat otast with pb and double checked to make sure I had everything. Then I loaded the car to go to Ft. Meyers after the race.
Event warmup:

Walked to the BT tent with Colette and met up with Jeff, Terri, and Wade. We all walked around a bit and commented on the flat water and the anouncer (somebody take the mic away from her). We realized there was no timing mat for the start, so we all went close to the front. Almost forgot to put on my pink shirt, but I got it.
Run
  • 32m 10s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

The starting gun was fired while the MC was in the middle of some directions. I hope what she was saying wasn't too important, we were OFF!!! Terri and I were side by side for the first mile chatting and having fun. Then someone stopped to walk about 5 feet in front of me. I swerved to the left to avoid running them over and I lost Terri in the crowd. I honestly didn't know if she was in front or behind me. Thats when we hit the first water station. I grabbed a cup and got some water in me. Then I tossed the rest when I realized that I had a lot of pressure on my bladder. UHOH!! I decided to keep running and hope it gets better. I decided to distract myself by reading all the signs and names of who people were running for. I started to tear up about half way through and kept reminding myself of all the survivors, those that wouldn't let anything stop them from livig their lives. Those that are out there running with me, or is it me with them? Those like Terri! It was thoughts like this that helped me forget any discomfort I had. At about the 2 mile mark I saw a lady trying to pull out onto the race course in her black Land Rover, the crowd and cops weren't letting her through. After her honking, I waved and loudly thanked her for her support. This got a few laughs. Then I got a comment fron 2 guys on a bench about me running in a pink shirt. It was a condecending tone, so I replied that they must be awfully comfortable sitting on the bench. I love having fun while I run. Now I see a familar face to the right, so off I went to say hi to Wade. I think I scared him, I was excited and a little loud. Finally the last turn back to the park. Now I heard someone call out "Only 100 yards left." So I prepared myself for another 1/4 mile. Turns out she was right! I made the turn and sprinted in saw Jeff on the left before the finish as I was taking off my drenched shirt. Then I saw Terri's mom right after the finish.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, except just run people over when they stop right in front of me.(I'm kidding) Then I could have ran it all with Terri.
Post race
Warm down:

I made my way to chip removal and just pulled it off myself. My legs were still on auto pilot and didn't want to stop. Then I see Terri's mom coming my way. Why isn't she waitig to get a picture of Terri at the finish? Because Terri is getting her chip removed. Awesaome PR for Terri!!
Jeff also ran a great race, very close to PR. And for the first time in a race I ran the entire course. Only slowing a bit to grab water to drink and toss on my head. This was a great race for everyone.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Still feeling the effects from no training durring my ear infection. But I'll get back to sub 30 5K's soon.

Event comments:

This was a great event!! I just wish we could have stayed longer, but we needed to get to Ft. Meyers. Colette and I talked and this race is going to be something we organize our lives around. I was seriously inpressed by the turnout by everyone. I don't think there was a dry eye at one point or another.

Possible future comment:
"Yes Doctor, we want to induce labor right now. Race for the Cure is in 2 weeks."

Last updated: 2006-08-31 12:00 AM
Running
00:32:10 | 03.11 miles | 10m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
No idea, I didn't want to know my time until I finished.
Course: This was flat and fun around St. Pete.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-10-09 8:11 AM

User image

Master
Tampa, Fl
Subject: Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure

2006-10-09 8:43 AM
in reply to: #564273

User image

Pro
Orange Park Florida
Subject: RE: Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure
Nice race. Way to give the slackers crap!
2006-10-09 11:08 AM

User image

Elite
South Florida
Nice job!  I can never stop a the finish line to take my chip off - I always tell them I'll be back and just keep walking!
2006-10-24 5:16 PM

User image

Master
Tampa, Fl
17 days later and I just got a letter and medal in the mail for being int the Top 100 for the males. Time for me to go meet some BTers in Brandon now. Whoop! Whoop!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure Rss Feed