Dance Blue
COLDF / 0C
Overcast
Total Time = 30m 33s
Overall Rank = 60/101
Age Group = 20-24M
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I was up in Kentucky visiting my girlfriend for the weekend, and she signed us up for this race. We woke up at about 8, but we almost stayed in bed and just slept through the whole thing. It was just so warm in bed. We reluctantly got up, ate a clif bar, and changed into our workout stuff. Being that I have never worked out anywhere north of Dallas, I dont own ANY warm workout specific clothing so I was stuck with shorts and a cutoff shirt for a race that was about 38 degrees. Of course my girlfriend had 2 layers of warm clothes on and was not at all cold.
Event warmup:

Walked from the car to the starting line, it was too cold to do anything else.
Run
  • 30m 33s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

When we started out everyone just exploded out of the gates, and after about 50m I told Whitney that we needed to slow way down or else we would be in trouble in the next 5 minutes. We eased off of the gas and by 1/2 of a mile in we hit a good pace. The only problem was that the cold air was making it hard for me to breath. Im not sure if anyone else has the problem of somewhat painful breathing in cold air but I do and it was killing me. I thought this might be the first time that I held Whit back in an athletic sense, and I did not want that to happen. However about a mile in, I got used to the cold air and was doing good. We also started passing people after this. We finally passed the couple that had been running about 50m in front of us the whole way. We could claim the top couple in the race now (out of 2). We skipped the water stop at the turnaround and picked it up a little bit. With half a mile left we started continuously building up speed and sprinted to the finish.
What would you do differently?:

Run faster, we both thought we could have broken 30 minutes but we just didnt push enough. The run was, however, a PR for both of us in a timed event (Im sure Ive done faster they just arnt official).
Post race
Warm down:

Walked to the car and turned the heater on.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training, cold weather, not pushing hard enough, and running with my girlfriend probably slowed me down (although without her Im not sure how I would have done before I settled down)

Event comments:

This was a good race for an even better cause!

Last updated: 2006-10-16 12:00 AM
Running
00:30:33 | 03.11 miles | 09m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 60/101
Performance: Good
Course: The course was an out and back starting at UK Commonwealth stadium, which went through the arboritum and curved back to the stadium before the turn around.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes