General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HR zones on the bike & swimming? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2003-12-24 9:03 AM

User image

Expert
England
Subject: HR zones on the bike & swimming?

I hope somebody can help me...I just did my max HR test for running and got 190 just before I gave out! I also got a resting HR minimum of 34 this morning so now have enough data for my calculations. Now I know about creating my training zones for running, but wondered how I do it for cycling etc, bearing in mind the weight bearing difference on a bike? I'm clearly going to have to work much harder to get to 75% MHR on a bike/swimming than when running so I do I use different zones or a different max HR etc.

Your help is much appreciated as everything I've seen so far just refers to zones.

Thanks and happy Christmas all.

BP

2003-12-24 3:26 PM
in reply to: #2860

User image

Champion
Gold member
Subject: RE: HR zones on the bike & swimming?
go to heart-rate monitoring part I   and heart-rate monitoring part II   this will tell u how to get a run and bike mhr to calculate the percentages.   swim is...well, some do it, some don't for reasons to do with inaccuracy
2003-12-25 7:35 AM

User image

Expert
England

Thanks Ron - those are 2 excellent articles but the bad news is I need to repeat that dreadful lung-busting test on my bike as well now and it sounds like I'll need an even longer hill to do it! Maybe next week....... Dont think I'll bother with the swim version for now though.

Thanks

BP

2003-12-27 12:02 PM

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
I got the tri training bible for Crhistmas and it has ways to get Lactate threshold to determine training zones. I am going to try them next week.
2003-12-30 9:10 PM

Extreme Veteran
Fort Wayne, IN
I also got the Training Bible and I think is geared more for someone in their second year of training or someone with a lot of time/knowledge/coaches/fellow triathletes at their disposal. I read Triathlon 101 and couldn't wait to get started and did, 2 months later and feeling good I start to read the 'TB' and I am wondering why I am even giving this sport a try. I will continue to read it and take a lot from it but I think it will be more useful after this season and going into next. I have only read the first 5 chapters I think and I will read it all but it is somewhat intimidating to the newbie.
2003-12-30 9:19 PM
in reply to: #3040

User image

Champion
Gold member

we think alike rio.  i have spent a lot of time in it and although it seems to be a necessity for the competitive athlete as it cycles u b/w volume and intensity and is technical, it is a bit much for a first year triathlete and def too much for a total newby into endurance.

BUT i have gotten many tips and insights to apply to some beginner-type programs.

truthfully, for me...i doubt i will ever get that technical...too much time and my goals are to do triathlons and have fun...

2004-01-02 9:37 AM
in reply to: #3040

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
Rio,
I didn't get discouraged by the training bible, but felt like I wanted more definitive schedules based on level. A later chapter says novices should stay in Base and tran phases but not how to cycle them. I did learn a lot from it though. I bought another book called "Swim, Bike, Run" by Hobson, Campbell and Vickers that I liked much better for me. I used this book and the intermediate sprint program from another site to create my first months training as weel as getting some workouts from the training bible. I will give some more reviews in the product forum when I get a chance.

Don't be discouraged Rio. From what I have seen of your logs, you are doing a great job!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HR zones on the bike & swimming? Rss Feed