General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New guy here.... Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2003-12-26 8:16 AM

The Woodlands, Texas
Subject: New guy here....
Hi...my name is Chris and I live in The Woodlands, Texas. I started training for my first sprint-tri on Dec. 1st. I'll be finishing the Tejas Triathlon on June 13th.

http://www.out-loud.org/tejas_triathlon.htm

I have a ways to go but there seems to be plenty of valuble info at this site. So far most of my training has centered around my diet and I have an experienced trainer taking me through resistance training three days a week. Most of my running has been on the treadmill at the gym because my knees just can't the weight on asphalt right now. I'm 6'1" 230 lbs. I will be driving over to John Cobb's Bicycle Sports in Shreveport at the end of January to buy my new bike and undergo their System One positioning. I can't wait......until then...it's the stationary bike at the gym. As far as swimming...we have a GREAT facility about 5 miles away with a couple of coaches who seem to be experienced....but I'm having trouble convincing myself to squeeze into one of those little suits. :-( Would a traditional suit be acceptable at this point?

Anyway...I hope to learn more....

Thanks,
Chris

2003-12-26 8:54 PM
in reply to: #2885

User image

Central Louisiana
Subject: RE: New guy here....
Although I have not used John personally, I do have friends that have used him to set up their bikes and he helped them out greatly. Cobb is also partial to Clydesdales. Keep on hanging in there June will be here before you know it.

Still Tri'n,
Michael
2003-12-26 11:38 PM

User image

Champion
Gold member

for now, since outdoor running gives u problems, stick with some good swimming and focus on biking...indoor or outdoor...along with your diet...that should help for when u make the running transition to outside.  fyi...don't run on asphalt if u can help it...find a nice smooth trail and get yourself a pair of running shoes from a store specializing to runners.  i wouldnt see why u could not where swim trunks...swimming coaching will be very valuable.

good luck!  keep us posted.

2003-12-27 12:21 PM

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
Welcome Chris and congratulations on your committment to change your life! In addition to the great advice for swimming and biking for ease on knees, try some walking outdoors to let your body slowly get used to it. Then try walk/runs very slowly as long as you feel good. Also, your sore knees could be from the your shoes. I had this problem and new shoes fixed my sore knees in a week or two. Go to a real running store and have them asses you for shoes if you haven't already.
2003-12-29 7:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Epworth. Iowa
Welcome Chris. Ditto with Cameron. Shoes from a great shoe store with some folks who knew the business was really helpful for me. Congrats on your goals and vision.
2003-12-29 10:46 PM

The Woodlands, Texas
Thanks for the warm welcome everybody...

I bought my shoes from a great store here in Houston..the staff really took their time with me and I ended up in a pair of NB855's. My knees have thanked me for getting rid of those "cross trainers" I ran in for a while. Plus I have been doing all of my running on the treadmill at the gym.

I started my weight training with a professional trainer on Dec 1st. As of tonight I have dropped 10 lbs!! And I'm sure I have built some lean muscle on top of that cuz my strength has doubled in one month. And I can really tell my legs have gotten stronger cuz my knees aren't feeling it the next day like they used to.

2004-01-02 10:00 PM
in reply to: #3006

User image

Central Louisiana
Congrats on getting stronger and the weight loss!

Still Tri'n,
Michael
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New guy here.... Rss Feed