General Discussion Race Reports! » CS Corporate Teams & Individual Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

CS Corporate Teams & Individual Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
North Shore City, Auckland
New Zealand
Nimrod Sports
22F / -6C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 09m 7s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Had a lie-in and a late breakfast, The Triathlon wasn't scheduled to start until 10am and was only 5 minutes up the road from home which was really great.

Found a parking space within about 30metres of the run shute, and walked bike over to the transition. Finding space on the transition was interesting as there had been a team event 3hrs earlier and a "Full Monty" which was a team of 3 all doing individual sprints before our race so you didn't know who had finished, was still racing or just arriving.
Event warmup:

Went for a short 5 minutes run to warmup, put on the wetsuit and took a gentle walk down the hill to the beach, the water was quite cold so added a second swim cap and did 10mins warmup swimming prior to the briefing.
Swim
  • 09m 33s
  • 500 meters
  • 01m 55s / 100 meters
Comments:

Forget there was some oyster shells just off to the side of the boat ramp so managed to scrape my foot during the warmup.
What would you do differently?:

Pretty happy with the swim probably the best so far, need to sight the buoys more often and try to get to a 3 stroke breath pattern as I alternate between 4 strokes of every stroke which is putting more pressure on using mainly my left arm. Felt calm during the race and if I can slow down the breathing the swimming will be easier and quicker.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

After exiting the boat ramp it was a steep uphill dash of about 100 metres to the transition, couldn't reach my zip-pull initially but had plenty of time to find and got the suit down to my waist by half-way up the hill. No problem putting on shoes, helmet etc.

Will start using baby lotion on the outside of the suit around the calves which other people do and makes the suit easier to remove.
Bike
  • 32m 36s
  • 15.83 kms
  • 29.13 km/hr

Keep some plasters in the underseat bag along with the inner tubes.
Transition 2
  • 01m
Comments:

Fast Transition, just racked the bike and swopped shoes, managed to forget my hat in the process making up lost time.

Stopped for the hat as it was hot and sunny out on the course.
Run
  • 19m 21s
  • 4 kms
  • 04m 50s  min/km
Comments:

Nice flat course which I had ran the day before, the nice ladies at the start of the second lap wanted me to turn right and head down the finish shute but had to tell them I still needed to go left and run around a second time.

Probably hammered my legs too hard on the bike trying to make up lost time so legs felt heavier than normal off the bike.
Post race
Warm down:

Finished with some stretches and a free can of Red Bull from the Red Bull girls which seem to turn up to a lot of events recently. Grabbed a sausage from the Sausage Sizzle, and hung around for prize giving, even winning a new top as a spot prize which has to be the first time winning a spottie.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Basically having to stop for Medical attention, still had one of the best races ever coming under my target of 1hr 10minutes which I probably would have smashed not stopping.

Last updated: 2006-09-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:33 | 500 meters | 01m 55s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Had a great swim, the first time I had actually swam freestyle the whole way during a triathlon so really please with that. Had a little difficulty with navigation and was a little crowded around the buoys. Don't believe the course was actually 500m more likely around 400/420.
Suit: Orca Speedsuit
Course: The swim was in a shallow and protected bay on the inner harbour upstream of the harbour bridge. Deepwater start around 2 buoys and back to shore in a triangle pattern.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:32:36 | 15.83 kms | 29.13 km/hr
Started off on the bike well but noticed some blood on the bike frame and somewhere between transition and starting the bike managed to slice open the top of a finger which was bleeding profusely. Had to wait until the end of the first lap to get to the medics which meant a slow first lap due to sucking my finger to stop the bleeding and riding one handed. Unfortunately First Aid was at the back of the transition so had to leave the bike and they were great patching me up but had no sense of urgency and had to complete some paperwork before I could get back on the course, ended losing about 10-12 minutes before resuming the race.
Wind: Little
Course: 5 x 3km laps of a fairly flat and fast square course, drafted off a few people but needed to put the hammer down to make up lost time.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:19:21 | 04 kms | 04m 50s  min/km
Course: A 2x2km flat and fast course around a couple of blocks by the race village.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-11-05 1:23 AM

User image

Veteran
Auckland
Subject: CS Corporate Teams & Individual Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » CS Corporate Teams & Individual Triathlon Rss Feed