General Discussion Triathlon Talk » just a wanna-be Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2003-12-26 12:06 PM

User image

Regular
Kirkland, WA
Subject: just a wanna-be
Anybody out there doing triathlon races with extra weight -- as in body weight!? I've always wanted to do a race but keep waiting til "after I loose weight." Instead of loosing weight, I'm just getting older! I'm thinking of just forgetting about the weight, and worrying more about being strong enough.

Last year there was a sprint triathlon in Frederick MD (if my memory is right it was a 1/2 mi swim, 10 mi bike, 5 k run). I've been looking all over to see if they are running it again this year. It looked like a good beginner race, and I will be there visiting family in Aug 04. I live in Seattle area, and there is a triathlon here, but the swim is in very cold lake water and would probably require a wetsuit. Didn't sound like a good beginner race.

Is it possible to get ready for something like that in 8 months? What are reasonable goals? I'm 37, 50 lbs overweight, swimming twice a week, walking the rest of the time (doing hills with a 4 year old in the stroller, if that counts for anything), have free weights and bench at home so I could easily get back into lifting.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Julie

2003-12-26 1:03 PM
in reply to: #2887

New user
lake chelan ,wa
Subject: RE: just a wanna-be
julie,
i just found this site last nite and i to am wanting to get into tri's . there are a couple in lake chelan were i live this summer that sound like the one you mentioned. they call them "my fisrt triathalon" you can look at the dates for those as well as other races in washington at http://www.trifind.com/wa.html
lake chelan is only about 3 hours from you and the water isn't to bad.
rick
2003-12-26 8:47 PM

User image

Central Louisiana
check out http://www.whenbigboystri.com/ that should eliminate some of your fears. If you still have questions, drop me an email.

Still Tri'n,
Michael

Edited by Michael 2003-12-26 8:48 PM
2003-12-26 11:31 PM

User image

Champion
Gold member

8 months for a sprint?  you will be good.  especially if u swim 2x week and have a good walking regime.  check out the Getting Started for some basic info to get started with a program...maybe a running program first along with your swim then bring the biking in later (or vice versa).  we will have many new programs and a new site in a few days.

2003-12-28 5:49 PM

Regular
Springfield, Ohio
I was a wanna-be last year. Now, I'm a wanna-be-better. By all means, do the sprint. The scales may go up or down, but the calendar will definitely continue to move forward. In 8 months, you will be ready.
2003-12-28 6:11 PM

Regular
Colorado
I'm in the same boat! I swim 3 times a week and am adding in some biking and running to prepare for the Danskin this August (short sprint triathlon- women friendly too). I also have an extra 40 pounds or so and am deciding to ignore the weight loss goal in favor of the be-strong-and-fit goal. I think we can do it! Maybe we can share training tips along the way. Good luck :-)

2003-12-28 8:24 PM
in reply to: #2951

User image

Regular
Kirkland, WA
You are very encouraging. I looked at the Danskin site, and it seems they had a race here last year. I'll keep checking until they have the 2004 dates posted and see if that will work for this year. I would love to keep in touch regarding our seperate training motivation and ideas if you're interested. I've been talking about this for 2 years, it's time to do more than talk.

I will be needing a bike too, but when I go into a bike shop, they take one look at me and I can see "overweight mom-type" written all over their faces, and they don't take me seriously. That was actually one of the top reasons for loosing the weight! So that people will start taking me seriously. I guess I will just have to complete a race and wear the race t-shirt to the bike shop . . . maybe that would work!

Keep in touch!
Julie
2003-12-29 7:15 AM
in reply to: #2959

Regular
Colorado
The Danskin does have a Seattle race each year, and there's also a mentor/mentee program that you can take a peak at via the Danskin website www.danskin.com. It matches newbies with more experienced triathletes. As for the bike shop thing- don't let it intimidate you@! Bring a friend if that helps- a comfortable bike will make a big difference in your enjoyment. I'm about to resume spinning tomorrow! With our extra pounds we gotta just keep moving forward and focus on being strong and fit, not thin. Have a great day!
2003-12-30 11:51 AM

Dallas
Definitely go for it!
I am carrying at least 30 extra lbs but was able to complete an Oly in not-TOO-terribly embarrassing time in June '01 plus complete several sprints. I felt great!
Since then I've slacked off training but am back at it again this year, for another Oly in July.
Just do what you can to start and let your body tell you what it can handle. Also, don't be too body-conscious -- just about everyone is to a certain extent -- but truly, tri people for the most part are very encouraging and not the kind to make you feel out of place. Plus, just about no one looks good in a tri suit, no matter how skinny!
You can do it, and I promise, you won't regret it!
2003-12-30 2:29 PM

User image

Regular
Kirkland, WA
You all are very encouraging! Thanks! I've added weight training . . . now I'm SORE! But it's a good sore. Swimming is going much better lately. The running concerns me, got back on my glucosamine (I'm an old lady!) but if I'm strong enough it should be fine. I'm sure I will have more and more questions for all you that are willing to share your experience. This is pretty scary to me right now . . . "Feel the fear and do it anyway!" Right?

Thanks!
Julie
2003-12-30 3:17 PM
in reply to: #3018

Regular
Springfield, Ohio
Weights are good. Sore is good. I just started back with the weights myself and my quadriceps are remembering why they hated it when I did squats. Glucosamine and chondroitin are helpful friends.
In regards to fear: "A coward dies a thousand deaths, but the brave man only one." This means us cowards live longer and have more opportunities to learn from the fear we face.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » just a wanna-be Rss Feed