General Discussion Triathlon Talk » heart monitors Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2003-12-27 10:27 PM

Subject: heart monitors
I have a basic timex ironman heart monitor. it tells me my heart rate, it has a lap feature as well as a timer. it does not keep my avg hr nor does it give me a read out of my max hr. what do all of you use? is there a HR monitor ouththere that you all rave about?

2003-12-28 2:12 AM
in reply to: #2923

User image

Extreme Veteran
Orangeville, Ontario
Subject: RE: heart monitors
I got a polar 410 for Christmas. I am still learning how to use it but I can see how it's going to help allot. Yesterday I went out for my normal run wearing the polar for the first time. The information that I was able to download was very surprising as I discovered that my heart rate was constantly in the 80-85% range. Today I'm going to try and keep it down to 65-75% for my long run. Read the HR Taining article on the main page of beginnertriathlete.com, this should answer allot of your questions.

Geoff
2003-12-28 10:52 AM

User image

Central Louisiana
Data that you can receive post work out such as what you can get from the polar has been beneficial to me. I started out with the timex ironman, probably the same model tha you have and it helped me to get to the next level. All that to say it depends on what you are wanting to get from you heart rate monitor. If you want to get more data, my personal opinion is that the polar monitors are the industry standard.

Still Tri'n
Michael
2003-12-30 1:36 PM

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
I have the Polar s610i and am very happy with it. Gives me more functions than I currently use, but I gradually start using more of them. Example, I can set different HR zones and it beeps when hit min/max. While running, I will walk when hit max to get HR back down when doing endurance type runs to keep my intensity down.
2003-12-31 10:44 AM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
Subject: Do you use the monitors for swimming?
This might be a dumb question, but I'm a beginner so I'll just keep those dumb questions coming.
The watches that are packaged with the heart monitors are advertised as having the ability to capture X number of split times. Is that for swimming laps? Are the watches waterproof? I assume that you cannot wear the heart monitors in the water...
I am interested in post workout data for swimming as well as biking and running.

Dan
2003-12-31 11:47 AM
in reply to: #3049

User image

Regular
Lakewood, CO
Subject: monitors for swimming
You can wear one in the water, but my experience is that unless you are wearing a wetsuit, it is going to move around on your chest and may even fall off.
Some do actually give you readings in the water, but may not be too accurate while you are swimming.
The lap feature is for repeat style workouts. You may even be able to store the values and then compare them at the end of the workout to see if you were getting more tired as the workout progresses.

I myself have a simple one, manily because of budget, but also because I know my body pretty well and don't need averages, zone alarms...
For lap feature I use a regular stop watch. Much cheaper.

2004-01-02 9:30 AM

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
I use lap times while running to monitor HR and times per mile while running. If doing intervals on bike or running, I use it to see HR during interval and recovery.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » heart monitors Rss Feed