coldC / 0F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 45m 31s
Overall Rank = 83/99
Age Group = 20-24
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Routine?
Ate 2 pcs whole grain toast with honey, pb and water.
Event warmup:

Ran around for about 5-8 minutes at a slow pace. Tried to stay warm- it was very very very cold.
Swim
  • 22m 53s
  • 750 meters
  • 03m 03s / 100 meters
Comments:

Goggles fogged up couldn't see a thing!
My legs wnet instantly numb-couldn't feel them until I left the water- it was so cold. Wimped out and swam froggy style most of the way.
Did most of the swim using auditory clues and by following the splashes in front of me. Found the beach by following the race announcer's voice.
Almost gave up like 4 times. But I made it!
What would you do differently?:

Hmm many, many things. Wetsuit for 1. Non-foggy goggles for two. Don't freak out and swim front crawl the whole way.
And kick the guy who kicked me in the head repeatedly.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Put shoes on first and then clicked into bike. Worked well except for being a little slippery with my cleats.
All the pre-race prep I did worked very well for the time I had to transition. Had a little trouble finding my bike- need to use a garishly coloured towel or something next time.

Aside from marking my bike, not much else.
Bike
  • 50m 9s
  • 18.8 kms
  • 22.56 km/hr
Comments:

Great ride- had a lot of fun!
Dried completely by second lap. Volunteers were great cheerleaders. Very well organized course.
Fabulous time- could have pushed harder in the hills.
Even passed people on road bikes!
Flavour of gatorade was HORRID!

Go faster and get a road bike!
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Great transition- I was dry and had a great ride and I was feeling really good.
Again took off and changed shoes while in transition area.

Things went very smoothly.
Run
  • 32m 30s
  • 5 kms
  • 06m 30s  min/km
Comments:

The G Push drink they offered sucked and made me almost instantly ill. I think it would be best not to drink on such a short run next time.

Go faster. I sprinted the last bit but I think I could have run faster- I didn't feel tired after the race.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretches and a shower!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Myself- uncertainty and fear. Having never done a Tri before I was worried about if I had the endurance built up yet. apaprently I did cuz I wasn't very sore the next day at all.

I will know I can run and swim faster next time.

Event comments:

I had tons of fun. Excellent support and guidance and directions everywhere. Very well organized and thought out.

Pre-race dinner sucked though- ran out of food and wasn't worth the 20$.

Added bonus-the race directors, Trevor and team were extremely well organized and had thought out every detail. It was a lot of fun!

The race announcer was great too. He announced nearly every person as they came across in transition and the finish line!

Last updated: 2004-08-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:22:53 | 750 meters | 03m 03s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/99
Performance: Below average
Suit: just my 1 pc tri suit!
Course: http://www.multisportscanada.com/ImageFiles/VanSwim.gif The swim will be held in English Bay on the shore of Second Beach. The expected water temperature is 17degrees Celcius and air temp 21degrees (current water temperature is 19 degrees). Wetsuits are suggested and the provided swim caps must be worn. Lifeguards on paddleboards, and volunteers in motorboats and canoes/kayaks will patrol the swim course. The Olympic event will consist of two(2), 750m laps (a beach run to begin the second). The Sprint event will be 1 lap. All waves will start with a beach run. Olympic athletes will have to exit the water to start their second lap. Please ensure you are on the beach 10 minutes prior to your race start time.
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 19C / 66F Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Bad Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:50:09 | 18.8 kms | 22.56 km/hr
Overall: 78/99
Top speed 56Km/h!
Wind: Little
Course: http://www.multisportscanada.com/ImageFiles/VanBike.gif The sprint and Olympic distance bike courses will be comprised of 2 or 4 laps respectively. The course follows Park Drive. THIS COURSE IS ENTIRELY CLOSED TO TRAFFIC. Draft marshals and volunteers will patrol the course. Please keep your head up and be aware of other athletes, pedestrians and wildlife. The course will open to traffic flow at 10am. The park may be busy with walkers – PLEASE KEEP YOUR HEADS UP. We will do our utmost to ensure your safety, but ultimately it is in your hands.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:32:30 | 05 kms | 06m 30s  min/km
Overall: 87/99
Course: http://www.multisportscanada.com/ImageFiles/map.gif The run consists of a 5km loop (Olympic distance = 2 laps) along the west side of the Seawall Walk. Aid stations will be available every 2.5km. Volunteers/marshalls will man key intersections, but this course will not be closed to pedestrian traffic. Please be courteous and remain alert for walkers, rollerbladers, and cyclists. Volunteers will do their best to inform pedestrians but THIS COURSE IS NOT CLOSED. We do not want to upset anyone as we can easily lose the opportunity to hold the event here.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes