General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Twin Cities hotel and activities Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-11-21 1:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver CO
Subject: Twin Cities hotel and activities

Can anyone reccommend a good hotel for my visit next weekend? I don't care if it's St Paul or Minneapolis, but I'd like something:

1. easy to find (since I am completely unfamiliar with the area)

2. under $260/night (company rules)

3. close to area attractions

Thanks!

and speaking of area attractions.... anything you reccommend doing while I'm there? I'll be going to a Timberwolves game on Friday but besides that I have a free schedule!

2006-11-21 2:14 PM
in reply to: #605357

User image

Elite
Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea
Subject: RE: Twin Cities hotel and activities

Hi Bridget,

First, you're going to be hard pressed to find rooms OVER $260 a night.  If you want to be close to fun stuff, I'd suggest staying in Downtown Minneapolis.  The Hyatt, Marriot, Milennium, Grand Hotel, Radisson, Doubletree, Hilton, Marquette, and 601 Graves are all in the heart of Downtown and are within spitting distance of each other.  Most should be under $260 and are all quite nice.  The 601 Graves is a swanky upscale (sort of like a W) and I'd recommend that if you can get it.  Its also right across the street from the Target Center.  There are LOTS of great local restaurants within blocks of it so I'd recommend steering clear of the Hard Rock which is in the same block as the hotel.  If you want more specific restaurant recommendations, drop me a line.  There are few places I haven't eaten at around here.

Also, if you're one of those people who HAS to see the Mall of America, the light rail line picks up a block from the Target Center and ends at the MOA.  It also passes through the airport so that's the easiest way to get from the airport to downtown Mpls.  

As for things to do, that depends on what you're into.  If you like theater, The Guthrie is really awesome.  Again, if you want to narrow it down a little, I can probably help.    

Finally, no offense to St. Paul, but its a pretty dead downtown area; especially on weekends.  If I were you, I'd stay in Mpls.  Lots to do and see within walking distance or short cab rides.  

OK, that's probably enough for now.  Good luck!

Tom 

2006-11-21 2:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Woodbury,
If you are into live comedy, you have a couple choices. First, I've never had a bad experience at Acme Comedy Company in Minneapolis. Otherwise, you may be able to find somebody willing to part with their tickets to watch the 2-8 Arizona Cardinals take on the 4-6 Vikings on Sunday.
2006-11-22 9:13 AM
in reply to: #605486

User image

Elite
libertydog - 2006-11-21 2:42 PM

If you are into live comedy, you have a couple choices. First, I've never had a bad experience at Acme Comedy Company in Minneapolis. Otherwise, you may be able to find somebody willing to part with their tickets to watch the 2-8 Arizona Cardinals take on the 4-6 Vikings on Sunday.

Or if you wanted to do something slightly more entertaining stare at the lightbulb in your mini fridge for 3 hours. (In reference to the Vikings, not the comedy club)
2006-11-22 9:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver CO

I'll be going back and forth between Eagan and wherever I'm staying. Has anyone ever been to Sofitel? That's one place I'm considering just because one of my friends said when he stayed in dt Minneapolis he wasn't impressed (no offense dudes, just what the guy said). But if yall local cats think staying right in downtown is the best option, I will heed your advice! I'll have to check out 601 Graves, that sounds cool.

How about trails for running? I can't bring my bike, but I'd love love love to take a run around to see more of the area. Can I just walk outside a hotel and start running or are there trails/paths that shouldn't be missed?

I know I know, lots of questions, but I'm sooo eager to see as much as I can!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Twin Cities hotel and activities Rss Feed