General Discussion Triathlon Talk » my daily diet and workout Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2003-12-30 7:37 PM

User image

Elite Veteran
Northern Va/Metro D.C.
Subject: my daily diet and workout
Hi Everyone,

I'm listing my diet in relation to an avg. weekday, and wondering if I'm consuming too many, too little calories. any comments?

I'm 5'10 and weigh 163

6am-3 mile run, avg hr 154

breakfast: one cup spaghetti and sauce, one glass of milk, one banana (i can't do the regular cereal, toast breakfast)

work from 9am-6pm: throughout the day, i eat one sandwhich (2 slices 9 grain bread, one slice turkey, one slice cheese-roughly 300 calories) at 11am, one sandwhich at 2pm, and one banana at 4.

bike workout-14 miles (about half an hour)

dinner at about 8pm: 2 cups brown rice, some form of protein in lean meat or chicken, big salad with olive oil/vin. dressing

I'm looking at building lean muscle mass, however not sure if I'm under/over eating.

any suggestions would be appreciated.

2004-01-01 11:53 PM
in reply to: #3033

Extreme Veteran
PohangSi
Subject: RE: my daily diet and workout
Here's a link to an article on the beginnertriathlete.com site. It has a calorie needs calculator, I don't know maybe this will help. Here it is:
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/Diet%20&%20Nutrition.htm
JD
2004-01-02 9:20 AM
in reply to: #3089

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
If you are trying to build muscle, then you need more protein. Try to shoot for ~35g protein per meal 5-6 times a day for a total of about 1g per pound of body weight. Make it lean protein though. I used BFL to both lose fat and gain muscle last year. I was able to lose ~33lbs of fat and gain ~8lbs of muscle in 12 weeks. You will have a hard time building muscle though with all the cardio training for tris. I am aiming just to keep the muscle I have with all the training :-) Starting Mon Jan5th, I will be logging my daily nutrition on my web site.

Edited by cameronw 2004-01-02 9:21 AM
2004-01-02 11:39 PM

User image

Champion
Gold member

try fitday.com to calorie count and find your needs...could help u. 

for me what worked is lots of calories...and lots of protein too...i do not worry about fat as i am tri training...i use http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/advanced_diet1.htm  protein intake may be on the high side BUT coupled with the protein carb powder mix...its a ton of calories...from your diet...looks like u r not getting enough if u r weight training too for mass.  BUT that is what worked for me and my goal...mass by heavy lifting and tons of calories, lean by tri training.  OF COURSE once u stop training, cut wayyyy back on those calories.  i never got too technical and did not really count all my calories...just a general idea...

2004-01-02 11:52 PM

Expert
NC Illinois
I'm 6'3 and 195 pounds. For me, through experience I need between 2,700 to 3,000 cals a day to maintain that weight. When you eat lean, 3,000 is A LOT of food.

Folks at work, look at what I eat, and look at the small amount they eat and are just amazed that I'm not overweight ... and they are.

It may take some force feedings to get you to where you want/need to be to add lean muscle.

Also from experience, I will tell you that it's generally a better idea to try and add 1-2 pounds of muscle every 4-6 weeks, than to try and add 20 pounds in 3 months and then diet off the fat. Dieting is extremelly meticulous and tricky, and usually done wrong, and after 5 months you're right where you started.

Add calories slowly. What I do is to eat regularly. 3-4 lean meals ... lean meats, veggies, fruit, etc. Then to create a calorie surplus I add servings of milk w/ whey protein (cheap and easily digestable for most), and then if I am looking to reduce calories, I just cut out the milk and have the protein powder with water.

It's not an easy thing to do, but if you're determined, you'll get it done.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » my daily diet and workout Rss Feed