Shelby Twp, MI
Subject: RE: fb444's Group FULL

GDOG - Good luck with the "mini-tri" let us know how you get on

Fred

2007-03-12 7:37 PM
in reply to: #637728

Veteran
Fred- Are you feeling better?? You haven't been running around Stoney Creek dropping off parts have you?

On a brighter note, I survived the indoor tri. 550 yds in the pool in 10 min. (I did several laps backstroke)/5.45 miles on stationary bike/1.87 miles in 20 min. on treadmill. I really took it pretty easy on both the bike and run, fearing I was going to hurt myself but low and behold, I felt great today.
2007-03-16 4:03 AM
in reply to: #720638

User image

Veteran
Shelby Twp, MI

GDOG - Starting to feel better now, haven't run, swam or biked in the last 3 weeks so looking forward to getting back into training. Probablly start this weekend.

Glad to see the indoor tri went well, your training seems to be going good. Never done an indoor event before, would you recommend it? Thought it would be overcrowded - maybe it's not so.

Fred

2007-03-16 7:15 AM

Veteran
Fred-Glad you are feeling better. The indoor tri was fun for me, but I've never done one outside before-so my opinion doesn't really mean much yet. It was not crowded at all. I was one of the first people there so I went from one discipline to the next with zero interuption/delay. For me it reinforced that this is possible for me to do-- if I keep at the training.

Also, I finally got my new bike which was a small cluster. I ended up getting a Cervelo P2SL( they stopped making/ran out of the Dual size I ordered), so I got upgraded. I got it hooked up on the trainer and did a half hour yesterday. I am a little raw today as the seat is a little smaller/firmer than the stationary, and I am sure the new aero position will take some getting used to.

My theory is that I will start to focus on the bike for the next month or so, now that I am more comfortable with the swim. I will start doing more swim/bike and bike/run bricks as the weather warms up.
2007-03-17 6:30 AM
in reply to: #725017

User image

Veteran
Shelby Twp, MI

GDOG - Nice bike, just wait 'til the weather warms up and you can take it outside you'll be amazed at the difference over a regular road bike. It will fly.

Aero position takes some getting used to after riding a regular road bike. I bought a Felt S22 last year and still not fully comfortable in the aero position. Was fitted for the bike at Michigan Bikesport so I know it's set up right. Persevered with the stock saddle for quite a while, finally ended up changing to Fizik Arione tri saddle. Made a huge difference to the butt, way more comfortable.

Enjoy the Cervelo.

Fred

2007-03-25 5:42 PM

Veteran
Wow, gone for a few days and no posts?

Ran in FL this weekend--felt real good. I think the couple days off and the increased biking helps.

Fred-How are you?...all better and back at it? Q: Also, have you found that biking helps your running?

2007-03-28 12:48 PM

New user
Lake Gaston, NC
Hey all, I have a few questions maybe someone can help me out with. I cant get my running up to par I dont think. When training, should I be trying for long distance or speed on a shorter distance? I dont imagine I can run 3 miles everyday, or should I? IM struggling to run 1.5 miles. But my times are getting better. But even if I take it slow to go 2 miles or better, I'm hurtin or get bored one. Also, at the gym I do the exercise bike. Am I better to go with a program on there of random resistance or a steady cadence for 10 miles or so? Which is better for training? As some know, Im loosing weight too and am only 20 lbs or so from my goal. So this could be affecting me and my endurance as my caloric intake isnt where it probably should be for this kind of training. But as I reach my goal wieght I want to start training to full potential and making it work for me. Thanks for any help.
2007-03-29 12:00 PM

Veteran
Sarpup-**DISCLAIMER**I am a newbie who has never completed a triathlon.

That being said, I believe that going slower and longer in order to build aerobic capacity is most important. As an example I saw your recent bike training log where you were going 20mph which for an overwieght beginner( no disrespect, I am in the same category) is really fast. I think you would be much better served to go down to 10-15mph in order to extend the training period. Furthermore, I have been told/read that you really should be performing all aerobic training for a minimum of 25min to gain measurable benefit.

Don't hurt yourself running. Soreness the next day or even two is acceptable, being in actual pain during the workout is not. I would and do stop and walk if I am eperiencing any pain.

Boredom is OK by me, I believe this makes me stronger mentally.

I don't do the random programs on the bike and don't reccomend these for you either. I think we both need to build to a strong fitness level for 45 minutes or an hour before we need to do intervals or hill training. We are more prone to injury performing these more advanced forms of training.

***PLEASE VALIDATE ALL OF THE ABOVE ***
2007-03-29 2:52 PM

New user
Lake Gaston, NC
Thanks for the reply, I took it into consideration today when running and OMG it was amazing. As well as I found something interesting out that I wish I had learned months ago. I am losing weight based on a caloric deficit. I know Im not getting in enough calories, but not much I can do about that. So yesterday, after reading up on muscle building I realized I need alot more protein. I did 2 protein shakes (no sugar) about 115 calories. ONe in the morn and one in the evening. Another this am then did my run. I was doing great. Didnt get tired, mentaly didnt wanna stop, and recovered fast. Even had enough to do situps and a pull ups. Since this is my off day for weights, I took it easy. I cant believe how the protein helped me, plus I feel more energy. I cant believe I went all this time being tired, wondering why Im working out so hard and still feel tired all the time. I know alot of people said eat more, but I really cant eat more than 1200-1500 calories a day anymore, so the protein shakes are supplementing. Again thanks for the advice.
2007-03-29 3:58 PM

Veteran
Sarpup-sounds like you are doing well. Your diet still worries me though. Are you getting enough carbs in your diet? Carbs provide the long-term energy that you need throughout the day and during your training.

-keep up the great work!
2007-03-29 8:01 PM
in reply to: #742364

User image

Veteran
Shelby Twp, MI

Sarpup - Good advice from GDOG, steady run and steady cadence on the bike are what you should be aiming for right now. Don't be tempted to increase speed  that comes later. If you feel the need to do more add distance at the same pace.

Fred

2007-03-29 9:59 PM
in reply to: #742673

User image

Veteran
Westminster, Colorado

Hi everyone!  I'm sorry I have been absent, I've been working 60-70 hours a week for about a month now.  Needless to say I didn't have much time to get on here, though I have been reading the posts as they are emailed to me, so I have been keeping up to a certain extent.

Anyhow, my exercise program has gone to hell with this work schedule.  I've been so tired and burnt out I have found myself in that catch 22 situation where I'm too tired to workout but one of the reasons I'm tired is because I'm not working out.

So the project I'm on is in the home stretch and the long hours hopefully have ended.  I got a good nights sleep last night and the stress is starting to fade and was very happy to get up this morning and run 3 miles on the treadmill, it was a bit harder then normal though because I haven't run in a week.  I was supposed to start my 12 week program this past Monday, but alas, that did not happen, so I am going to start in this coming Monday.  It will just have to be an 11 week program.  Oh well.

Other then that, my horse got ill this week and that was added stress, but he is recovering now and hopefully will be all better by Saturday.  We'll see.

It's also snowing here again.  Things were so nice and now we have more snow.  I actually went mountain biking 2 weeks ago.  At least we are in for a nice weekend.

So I'm glad I was able to post here again.

And sarpup,  can I stress again that you need to eat more?  I can eat 1600 calories a day and lose weight by eating at the right time, the right foods, and the right workout program, and I'm a girl, and I don't lose weight easily.  I promise that if you eat more of the right foods and get the right balance of fats, protein, and carbs in your diet from the correct sources that you will be able to eat at least 2000 calories a day and still lose weight and feel so much better and make quicker progress in your workouts.

2007-03-30 12:09 PM

Veteran
Laura- I am glad to hear your project is winding down so that you can get back at it. Also, good luck to your horse!
2007-04-02 6:10 PM

Veteran
WHEEEEEEEE!!! Riding outside is fun! Never really done that before. Downhill is scary...but fun. I got going more than 34mph, after that I got scared to look at computer. I am generally slow (avg 14mph) but I wasn't great with the gears or areo and had some left in the tank when I finished.

10 miles-no problem, but 13 will take some more work, if I want actually run afterwards.
2007-04-05 2:49 AM
in reply to: #746318

User image

Veteran
Shelby Twp, MI

Hi everyone,

Snowing here again in Michigan, aaghh!! Luckily I will be out of the country on vacation for the next week and should have opportunity for OWS and running in the sun. See you in a week.

Good luck with the training - Fred

2007-04-12 11:20 PM

I haven't posted in awhile, training is going well. kind of getting anxious for the tri in June. Had a quick question, are you guy's going to wear a wetsuit? i am leaning towards getting one, b/c i am training in 82 degree water and I heard the temp in the lake is around 55. Sounds kind of cold....Any suggestions?
I bought my rode bike yesterday and am excited to go for a long ride this weekend. I got a Fuji roadbike and had them put the tri bars on it.

Hadn't heard from anyone in awhile and i hadn't posted, either.

Hope all is well.

Greg
Iowa City, IA

2007-04-14 9:21 AM
in reply to: #759638

User image

Veteran
Shelby Twp, MI

Greg - Certainly recommend getting a wetsuit as it gives additional buoyancy making the swim section easier. I bought a sleeveless from Promotion http://www.wetsuit.com/ and was very pleased with both the price and fit. They give great advice over the phone and you also get a discount for being a BT member.

You aren't allowed to wear a wetsuit if the water temperature is 78 degrees or above so depending on the lake temp you may or may not get a chance to wear it. If the lake is 55 you definitely want to wear one.

Hope this helps, feel free to ask additional Q's.

Fred

2007-04-15 7:44 PM

Veteran
Most tri's have wetsuit rentals as well. Fred knows bettter, but for my tri the wetsuit rental company is listed on the event details sheet online. I am currently looking to purchase one myself, but rental can be a less expensive alternative.

-George
2007-04-16 9:14 PM
in reply to: #762176

User image

Veteran
Westminster, Colorado

55 is pretty cold.  I would think you want a wetsuit for that.  If you decide to rent one you should make sure you practice with it first as I heard it's hard to get in and out of them and it's different swimming in them.  I haven't used one yet.

So, the tri that I was going to enter got full before I entered.  Sucks.  So, there is another one I would consider doing, but I'm not sure yet.  I was thinking of skipping the tri this year and training for a 10k.  What do you think?

I spent the weekend mountain biking in Moab and Fruita.  How fun is that?? I had a blast and it was a good start to the summer biking season for me.  My butt is really sore though! haha

My training is going well, though I have been so busy I haven't logged anything on here in forever.  I've been running, cycling and doing weights.  My diet has been crap though and I'm not leaning down how I want to.   I gotta get back eating cleaner.

2007-04-30 8:22 PM
in reply to: #668505

Haven't heard from anyone, lately. We must all be busy with training and work.....

When is everyone's triathlons???? Mine is June 3rd in Iowa. Just starting to think of what I will be wearing and all that good stuff.

Swimming is going well. Biking is coming alon, now focusing on the run.

Greg
Iowa City, IA
2007-04-30 11:31 PM
in reply to: #782584

User image

Veteran
Westminster, Colorado

I'm still here!  Busy, busy, busy.  Working and training.  I've gotten up to 4 miles in my long runs now, very cool...  I've been doing a ton of cycling the past two weeks.  The weather is warming up, the snow is GONE, and I've got the cycling bug.  I've been only mountain biking, but I've dusted off the road bike and taking it up the mountain tomorrow evening.  I can't wait! 

My horse has been having back problems the past few weeks and he's finally better.  I was able to ride him tonight finally without him bucking for the first time in a month.  I had to have the chiropractor out to adjust his back and that fixed the problem.  I wish he could talk, it took me forever to figure out what was wrong with him.  I'm just glad he seems well finally.  Hopefully he'll stay that way.

Anyhow, I was going to do a tri in June, but it filled up and I've been so busy I haven't been able to stay on a strict training schedule anyway.  I'm still working out 5 days a week, but it's not really on a plan.  I either run, bike, or do weights.  I haven't been swimming at all, but swimming comes easy to me so I'm not worried.  

I still might do one in July, we'll see, but I plan on running a 10k later in the year and doing a 78 mile bike ride with 6000 feet of climbing.   So I am training for those. 

2007-05-01 11:51 AM

Veteran
I've been a little busy at work myself. My Tri is June 16th. I plan to basically take train for the the next 5 weeks a little harder/longer and throttle back 1 week before. I really am hoping for nicer weather in May for more cycling/running outside.

Fred-maybe I can meet you for a ride at Stoney?( Problem...12 miles is my longest ride so far)
2007-05-06 8:50 PM
in reply to: #783466

User image

Veteran
Shelby Twp, MI

GDOG - been out of circulation for a while due to work commitments, finally getting back into some sort of training schedule. We can meet at Stony for a ride, mileage not an issue, have hardly ridden myself this year so still a bit rusty. I will PM you regarding training recommendations.

Fred

2007-05-14 8:32 AM

New user
Lake Gaston, NC
Hey all, I just wanted to stop by and Hi to everyone and see how they are doing. Not much being posted here lately. I suppose we are all busy however. I did have a question though or maybe just wanted an opinion or two.
Im still training as much as I can, I feel as if I have slacked off some or am loosing my drive a little. I decided to test my 1 mile run the other day and see where I was. I did my 1 mile in 10:30. I wasnt to happy about this, but hey better than normal. Then 2 days later I did it in 9:30. I forgot what it was like to really push my self and not be so worried about conserving energy. Plus keeping in mind, I always do at least 35 minutes of strength training before my runs or bike. Is this something I should be incorporating in my training? A quick run to build up stamina? Also, when Im doing my bike ride I can go 40 minutes (12 miles) without a problem keeping my heart rate around 65% the whole time. After Im done I recover fast and dont feel like I pushed myself very much, is this normal? And my last question, Since Im still trying to loose weight, I'm finding that these last 20 pounds are hard as heck!! Not sure if its my eating or what. I am trying to increase my caloric intake some, and I know I'm building muscle. Im almost tempted to forget about weight and start measuring body fat only, I have read alot about this and so many different ways to measure, anybody have a method they feel is best? Since I started at 273lbs. and am at 188lbs. I feel like 20 pounds shouldnt be that hard but its kicking my butt. Maybe just too much strenght trianing.
Anyway hope everybody is doing well, talk to you soon.

Oh one more thing, sorry I save all this up for one big post. I really wanna do my first tri or even dual, or heck even a 3 or 5k, but im scared I wont be ready for it. Just insecurity probably. Any encouraing words for this fear? Thanks again.
2007-05-21 12:29 PM

Veteran
Sarpup,
273-188 is freaking amazing. You are doing a great job! I know the last 20 is wearing on you... as I have had similar issues on a smaller scale-Plateaus are natural.

First, I think that total weight (given where you have come from) should be second to increasing your fitness. Just keep at it one day at a time. I have read several articles lately that say that you should do your strength training before your runs/rides-so you are doing it right( by the way I have always done the opposite-dummy). I still think you need longer runs regardless of the speed. As an example...25 minutes at an 12:00 pace is way better than 10:00 minutes at a 10:00 minute pace.

Keep up the fantastic work !
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » fb444's Group FULL Rss Feed  

of 6