Upper Main Line YMCA
38F / 3C
Sunny
Total Time = 29m 39s
Overall Rank = /200
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up, got out of bed, dragged a comb through my head. Went downstairs and drank a cup, and looking up, noticed I was late. Huh, huh, huh.

Oh yeah, put my clothes out the night before.
Event warmup:

jogged a half mile and stretched. It was pretty cold, but it started on time, or even a minute early.
Run
  • 29m 39s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt pretty sluggish the whole time. Soreness and twingy knees. My main problem was that I just didn't have a real good mental attitude or high energy level. I was able on the second half to use a woman who was trying to pass me as incentive to speed up, but overall I think my bod is a bit broken down.

The pack was small and pulled away from me immediately. I'd say the average pace was between 8:30 and 9:00.

What would you do differently?:

Get better rest (I went to bed on time, but slept poorly). Not do speedwork 48 hours prior. Drink coffee first. Try to let negative thoughts go and not dwell on them. Don't hold back so much out of fear of running out of gas (I didn't).
Post race
Warm down:

walked

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of mental toughness. Lack of muscular endurance in the lower legs. There was some trouble with the little strap tendon that runs across the top of the ankle as well as some tenderness in the knees and soreness in the quads.

Event comments:

The pace car took off AFTER the runners and had to pass through the pack honking.

Last updated: 2006-12-31 12:00 AM
Running
00:29:39 | 03.11 miles | 09m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/200
Performance: Average
halfway split 14:45
Course: Residential neighborhood out and back. Hilly, with two particularly steep ones about .75 mi and at the turnaround. Inclines and flats between those.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-12-31 9:21 AM

User image

Regular
Malvern, PA
Subject: UMLY New Years Eve 5K

2006-12-31 7:55 PM
in reply to: #637738

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Subject: RE: UMLY New Years Eve 5K
The good news is that a race can be really beneficial even if it does not result in a PB

Training right through a 5k is pretty hard core and you certianly pulled it off in spite of being tired at the start. Also very cool that you were able to find a rabbit to chase to the finish line. (And Passing your Rabbit is very cool; he/she then becomes Road Kill)

In my training plan, it is called a "Tuneup Race". The goal is to remind the legs and the mind that you can still run really fast. (It is easy to forget)

I need to schedule more of these darn things as they are a great measure of overall cardio-vascular fitness. They are just really hard to do. (I usually hurl at the end)

Oh, and I believe that a 5k is not easier because it is a shorter distance. It is just as hard as any other distance because you trade distance for intensity. (And a 5k pace realy hurts)

Great way to round out the year

Good On Ya Mate

Edited by WaterDog66 2006-12-31 7:55 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » UMLY New Years Eve 5K Rss Feed