General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rookie's break in calendar Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-01-03 7:27 AM

Subject: Rookie's break in calendar
This is basically just to see if this works. Ron suggested attaching the file and I'm looking for feedback from experienced tri'rs, especially the Clydesdales.

Attachments
----------------
Jan workouts.wpd (24KB - 69 downloads)

2004-01-03 7:44 AM
in reply to: #3142

Subject: RE: Rookie's break in calendar
HAAA!!! It worked! Cool Beans. Michael Pate, I sure hope you use WordPerfect.
2004-01-03 8:21 PM
in reply to: #3143

User image

Central Louisiana
I don't have wordperfect! can you cut and paste it into notepad or some program such as that I will be glad to look at it.
2004-01-04 6:37 AM

I have converted the calendar into a Microsoft Word file. I hope that helps. I've looked at the times for the elliptical and the stair climber. I think they look wimpy, but then I look at the 10 min walks to start the "Couch to Sprint" program. Last time I tried an ellilptical my knee gave me a pain. Cardinal rule in all of this will have to be "If the knee hurts don't do it". I really only threw those in to provide more variety.

After yesterday's swim and how I feel today I might also reconsider doing swim and lift on the same day. I'll have to wait and see how that feels a couple of times first. I know it's too soon to truly feel a difference, but psychologically it feels good to have made a start. And having this group for support will be important. I told a guy at work about myplans to do a tri by Labor Day. Well by the time the "rumor" got back to me the guy askingme about it wasliterally laughing at me. Seems the only tri most people ever heard of is the HI Ironman. And the concept of me doing that by Labor Day is totally ludicrous, even to me. At least he stopped laughing after I had explained what the Sprint was really. But it's pretty obvious I can't expect much support from that quarter.
2004-01-04 10:45 AM
in reply to: #3157

User image

Central Louisiana
2004-01-04 12:04 PM

Extreme Veteran
PohangSi
He who laughs last laughs best. They are just jealous because you are making an change in your life that most people are afraid to even contemplate. Sounds to me like there is lots of motivation coming from that quarter, not the positive encouraging motivation you'll recieve here, but motivation none the less. What a great feeling it will be when you complete your tri this fall!!
JD

2004-01-04 9:02 PM
in reply to: #3164

User image

Central Louisiana
sorry i gave you an imcomplete email address. It's funny when you leave a letter off of your name, the email just want get to you. [email protected]

Still Tri'n,
Michael
2004-01-04 11:16 PM
in reply to: #3157

User image

Champion
Gold member

i forget your history but u mention your knee is giving u problems with certain stuff...looked a your workout and would like to suggest (only an opinion):

• axe the stairmaster and elliptical, give yourself an extra day off (2-3 total)
  • OR just start with elliptical and walk and bike till no probelms then transition to walk/run and then axe the elliptical. - still do swim and lift.
  • OR just build up with the bike, do any leg strengthening exercises u can for the joint (doctors advice) THEN transition to walk/run - still lift and swim.

i think your doing too much 'knee related' stuff all at once.  don't get too excited....dont' wanna be injured.  rest is highly underrated in this sport...especially if you have problems, stay conservative in building endurance, take a 40% decrease in activity for a week every month and do not go up more than 10% distance/duration per week in an event.

2004-01-05 7:02 AM
in reply to: #3176

Knee problems originated in 1987, running to a body alarm in a housing unit. I missed a stair and drove my left knee into the edge of the top step. Hence, chondromalasia, but I was still able to play SWAT. 1991 fire in a housing unit and I was weighing about 300 pouinds, plus a 40 pound SCBA on my back when I slipped and did a split down a 20' flight of stairs. Had to give up SWAT. Spent months in rehab and taking cortisone injections without favorable results. Was considered to be "milkling" the injury so they put me on lilght dutyin the guard towers. After a year I couldn't take it anymore, got a second MRI and second opinion. Second surgeon did arthroscopy and found left ACL is 75-80% torn through, cleaned up the chondromalasia but says this is a recurring thing and will eventually need it again. Swears it's better that way than if they replace it, but says I'll just be waiting for it to snap someday. Wanted to send me back with a slip that said "No running". Yeah right, in a prison! So I ignore the doc and continue to do what I have to do. Technically, I guess, running a tri would not be a good idea. But hey, I've done over ten years without blowing the knee yet.

My intent is to break into the elliptical and stair climbing REAL easy. And if it hurts, well, then don't do it!!
2004-01-05 5:25 PM
in reply to: #3184

User image

Central Louisiana
I found that I could do a set of kicks at the pool and bend my knees when I kicked instead of kicking from the hips and that helped some knee problems. You can also jog in the pool and that will be less stress with alot of the same benefits.

Slow and Steady!

Still Tri'n,
Michael

Edited by Michael 2004-01-05 5:25 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rookie's break in calendar Rss Feed