Houston Marathon Committee
57F / 14C
Overcast
Total Time = 26m 50s
Overall Rank = 369/1939
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 29/93
Pre-race routine:

Arrived in Houston about 2 and checked into the hotel we met Sharon and Jen at the hotel they were coming in as we were leaving. Then headed down to pick up race packets. We looked around the Expo for a while bought a pair of sox and a hat for Jennifer and Patti then headed back. I was a bit confused about the valet parking do we tip or not?

Jennifer had a nail emergency on the way to Houston she decided to take off her fake nails and that turned into a mess so we needed to find a nail salon before supper at Luke’s. It all worked out well we got the nails done and got a watch too.

Luke and his wife Kaily did a great job on a pre race supper and I got a chance to meet some of the BTers I have been reading about. Headed back to the hotel and did not get lost. We turned in about 10:30

Event warmup:

Race day up at 5:30 out by 6:00 and stopped to get a bagel at star bucks Patti and I shared the bagel Jennifer had half a cream cheese Danish.

We made it to the convention center and saw the temperature was 57 this was good because the disaster preaching weathermen were predicting snow sleet and freezing rain or at least that it would be real cold.

Wow lots of people and a lot of people standing in line for the port a potty’s I found this odd as the restrooms upstairs were open with no lines we did not see any other BTers so we kept this information to ourselves was this wrong?

Run
  • 26m 50s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

On the run I plan on setting a new PR today anything less will be a big disappointment I was planning on and entered the half marathon but do to a breakdown in training I dropped to the 5k so I am off and telling myself keep up the cadence quick feet quick feet I feel real good I am dodging in and out of people running on the right running on the left and running on the side walk and curb but avoiding the grass. I get a bit concerned because I am slowing down a lot when I am blocked in I am starting to be concerned I am falling behind. I make it to the one and only dip and hill and there on the other side are the 5k leader’s man they are fast I yell some words of encouragement I wonder if they heard it? Where are the mile markers I am at 12 minuets and haven’t seen a marker yet this is not a good sign but there just ahead I think I see the turn around and yes I turn Oh OH 14.28 No way this cant be half way can it if it is I am soooo bar behind must run faster. I see my daughter and cheer her on she waves then a minuet later I see my wife and do the same she waves too now down to business run, run, run,. Plan is to start speeding up at 22 minuets damm how did I get to 23 minuets and no one seems to know how much further I go faster I am passing a lot of people now and the end is in site as I round the last corner 3 guys blow by me I consider it a moment do I sprint with them no I decide they are just too fast I hold back and cross the finish line with my new PR

What would you do differently?:

Start closer to the front
Post race
Warm down:

Now run inside get the bag so I can get outside to take pictures of Patti and Jennifer. The Bag lady can’t find the bag finally she calls me in the bag area doh she was looking for the wrong number. Ok I get outside now I cant find a place to stand and take a picture finally push my way to the rail and ask a guy if he minds if I get in front of him when my family comes by he has no problem with that so I get the pictures.

I am very proud of my Wife and Daughter this is their first 5k and they finished well.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Ran as well as I could only limit was the number of people.

Event comments:

BT suppoert was great thank you to Luketxo4 and Citysky.

Last updated: 2006-09-20 12:00 AM
Running
00:26:50 | 03.1 miles | 08m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 29/93
Overall: 369/1939
Performance: Good
Course: Flat and fast
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-01-15 10:06 PM

User image

Master
White Oak, Texas
Subject: Houston Chevron 5k

2007-01-15 11:14 PM
in reply to: #655841

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Houston Chevron 5k
Enjoyed your race report. No, if you find bathrooms that don't have lines, it is not required to let all race participants know. Just your closest friends. Well done on your new PR & congrats to your wife and daughterQ
2007-01-16 8:03 AM

User image

Expert
Houston, TX
Great job on the PR! It was great getting to meet you and your family!
2007-01-17 8:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northwest Louisiana
Good job on getting your PR! And great job to your wife and daughter for getting out there with you!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Houston Chevron 5k Rss Feed