General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman Hawaii hotel suggestions?? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-01-17 5:43 PM

Extreme Veteran
Wilmington, NC
Subject: Ironman Hawaii hotel suggestions??
We are heading to IM Hawaii in October...anyone have any suggestions on where to stay?

2007-01-17 7:58 PM
in reply to: #658519

User image

Veteran
Longmont
Subject: RE: Ironman Hawaii hotel suggestions??
Depends on what you are looking for in a hotel. Do you have kids? Do you want to be in the heart of Kona and not drive much? Give us some ideas on what you like?
2007-01-17 8:01 PM

Extreme Veteran
Wilmington, NC
We want to be by the race site...plus...my fiance are getting married while we are there so we will have a small group too...we'll need accomedations for about 12-16 people! THey will be there cheering for Scott as well as to celebrate our marriage!
2007-01-18 1:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Longmont
We have been to the BI twice and stayed here once and it was really nice. The other place as not near Kona at all, but was right of the Queen K highway, so we got to see the bikers.
Outrigger Royal Sea Cliff

A few of the nice things were:
Not far from town ~mile I think.
Right on the main drag used for training
A nice swim/snorkeling beach right next door.
Far enough away from Kona to be nice.
2007-01-29 3:10 PM

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
If you want a good location for the race then I would strongly recommentd the King Kam, which is the host hotel, or across the street at the Kona Seaside. Neither are very nice, think early 80's, but you are in the heart of the action. We stayed at the Seaside and we were 30 yards from the swim start and finish. It is also located on the hot corner, so you get to see the cyclists a few times and the runners a few times (hot corner even has its own announcer so you can figure out who is riding/running by). I don't remember seeing anything overly nice that is close to the start/trans/finish area, but if you drive out a ways there are some nice places. Keep in mind that many roads are completely shut down starting the Thursday before the race, so driving back and forth to the finish area on race day may not be an option. Hope this helps.

TJ

Oh, and added bonus... I never had to stand in line for the port-a-potties because our room was so close!!!

Edited by tjfry 2007-01-29 3:14 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman Hawaii hotel suggestions?? Rss Feed