General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I'm considering it...! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-01-05 7:14 AM

User image

New user

Washington DC
Subject: I'm considering it...!
Hello! I am considering doing an Olympic Triathlon this year having had zero experience! I did a marathon two years ago when I turned 40 and have been quite fit for a long time though. I just bought a bike with a triathlon in the back of my mind as part of the motivation for spending the money... but I have a few questions...!

1. What is the swim distance in meters for an olympic triathlon? This is the portion I am most concerned about. I was a "B" team swim team member in my teens but it has literally been 20 years since I have been in the water.

2. Do I need to join a masters swim team to train or is it possible to train by one's self?

3. Will I need a wet suit if I train for a summer triathlon?

Thnks. Sorry if these questions are too basic...! I am obviously not too worried about the running and biking aspect.

Icarus

2004-01-05 7:33 AM
in reply to: #3185

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
Subject: RE: I'm considering it...!
The swim is about a mile. Wet suits are legal and help you swim better if water is < 78 degrees. DEpends on where you are. Might be too hot in FL, but Lake Superioir probably never gets above 60 degress :-)
2004-01-05 8:29 AM
in reply to: #3191

User image

Expert
England
In the UK most Oly distance events seem to be open water and wetsuits are usually compulsory most of the year round due to the water temperature (or lack of it!). Triathlons in Florida sound like more fun - except maybe the summer heat! 
2004-01-05 8:54 AM
in reply to: #3195

User image

New user

Washington DC
I'm in Washington DC which is plenty warm in the summer, though I will certainly be traveling to events outside the area - if I don't drown this winter that is...!

A little more research allowed me to find that the swim is 1500M or 30 lengths of the pool. This is what I was initially interested in since it gives me a better picture as to where I need to be to really prepare for this type of event.
2004-01-05 8:42 PM
in reply to: #3185

User image

Champion
Gold member

sure, u can finish if u swim train yourself assuming u have a decent stroke.  BUT masters would be awesome if available to make u more competitive and expend less energy swimming so u have reserves for bike and run.  i spent a lot of energy on my first oly during the swim...very tired during t1...i coached myself learning from other swimmers that looked better...it will help to a point.

good luck

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I'm considering it...! Rss Feed