General Discussion Race Reports! » Hog Wild 5-Mile Run & 1-Mile Fun Run Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Hog Wild 5-Mile Run & 1-Mile Fun Run - Run5 Mile

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Dothan, Alabama
United States
Dothan Runners Club
50F / 10C
Overcast
Total Time = 33m 52s
Overall Rank = 12/250
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 3/16
Pre-race routine:

3 pm race messed up my typical routine. Had a good breakfast, loaded the family at noon, stopped by Wendy's, and drove to the race. Got there just in time to get registered and get the kids settled in.
Event warmup:

1" light jog. No time for more. My own fault for cutting the schedule too close.
Run
  • 33m 52s
  • 5 miles
  • 06m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

First mile was fast, but 80% downhill. Stuck to my plan, HR zone 3-4 first two miles, then picked it up and ran as best I could. Passed by only 1 person (mmakbenton) until the end. Last 1/4 mile I had accepted my position, about 40 yards back of the guy in front of me, when I heard someone coming up fast. I decided to make a race of it. He passed me in the last 10 yards, but we both went right by the guy just in front of me. I went over and thanked the guy afterwards. Even though he beat me, he motivated me to kick it in with everything I had and probably cut 10-15 seconds off my time. Ended up with new PR pace, despite the hills.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really. Well, find some hills to train on.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around with Michael (mmakbenton) and cheered our wives and his daughter in. Then did the one mile fun run right behind my 5 and 7 y/o sons. It was a blast to run amongst all those kids, some of whom were racing, the rest just having fun. My older boy must have talked 80% of the time. A zone 1 workout for him I guess.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Hills, age, less than 1 year training. Hey - I felt great about my performance, just answering the question.

Event comments:

Fun and well run race. I'll likely go back next year. The sweatshirt we received was great.

Last updated: 2006-12-15 12:00 AM
Running
00:33:52 | 05 miles | 06m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/16
Overall: 12/250
Performance: Good
Mile 1: 6:26, xHR 158 - down Mile 2: 6:29, xHR 167 - blip, then down Mile 3: 6:58, xHR 170 - small up and down Mile 4: 7:06, xHR 171 - up, down blip Mile 5: 6:52. xHR 173 - up Max HR 178.
Course: Out and back from park through residential area. Hilly, at least by my definition. (294' climbing)
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-02-03 10:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Dothan, Alabama
Subject: Hog Wild 5-Mile Run & 1-Mile Fun Run
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Hog Wild 5-Mile Run & 1-Mile Fun Run Rss Feed