General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Newbie: If I only had a brain... Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-01-07 8:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Lubbock, TX
Subject: Newbie: If I only had a brain...
Hello everyone. I have only made a cursory scan through this site, but it seems to pretty comprehensive...and...forgiving to the newcomer to the sport.

Let me just give you a few details about myself. I am male, 205lbs and 5'11". I used to compete competitively at the UIL and NCAA level in swimming. Part of our workouts usually involved cycling (which I enjoyed), strength training(which I endured), and running (which I despised).

Now fast forward 20 years. It was time to lose some weight as my boys(7 & 4) were becoming active in sports, so last year I made it my goal to lose 25lbs(then 230lbs) which I successfully did through smart eating and mild exercise(until the holidays ). I am an avid golfer and walk often. While my feet and knees usually moan and groan afterward, they always keep me upright. As part of my resolution last year, I climbed Long's Peak(at least to the Keyhole, shy of 14,000ft) in Estes Park, CO as I have a dreadful fear of heights. Keep in mind that I have never been hiking before. While I probably wasn't in the best shape, I had little *real* difficulty negotiating the altitude.

This year I will turn 40. I would really like to tackle a duathalon, triathalon or even a half ironman contest. My goal is to finish. I am not concerned about placement, but I do not want to limp across the finish line either.

I have not been running, biking or swimming. Now I am sure everyone at this point is groaning that this guy is out of his mind. However, I am determined and disciplined. I will be making www.beginnertriathlete.com one of my regular internet stops from now on. Any words of wisdom and/or encouragement are more than welcome.

Happy New Year.

2004-01-07 8:50 PM
in reply to: #3366

Extreme Veteran
PohangSi
Subject: RE: Newbie: If I only had a brain...
Excellent goals. I don't think you're out of your mind, it can be done. I'm sure you can do it. Welcome to the site and look forward to seeing you around.
JD
2004-01-07 9:36 PM

User image

Central Louisiana
Welcome, I say you are way ahead of alot of people. If you set the goal to and make the commitment to trian you will no doubt cross the finish line. Welcome aboard!
2004-01-08 12:09 PM

User image

Expert
England

Congrats on the weight loss and even more so for the continued commitment and goals! I've noticed a common thread in the success stories on the boards that involves a firm commitment, usually supported by an identified actual event to aim for, and careful, steady, gradual increases in activity until you reach your goal before you realise it.

Go for it!

2004-01-08 3:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Epworth. Iowa
Welcome Peter. Hey 40? You're a kid I've way older than you, have done the weight loss thing and intend to complete a tri. I am finding out that the brain will "remember" and when you do the training, and it feels tough - a time will come when your body will go, "O ya - now I recall - it feels this way..." That happened for me with running today - you will do it!

Jump over to the thread, http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp... and join the "Virgins."
2004-01-08 7:22 PM

User image

Expert
New Port Richey
Congratulations on the weight loss and good luck on your future goals.

2004-01-08 9:38 PM

New user
lake chelan ,wa
greetings!
one of the reasons i come to this web site is when i finally log off i feel great. every response is full of encouragement from others that are doing the same thing you are doing. you came to the right place! i look forward to hearing about your goals and your finnaly reaching them! and no your goals are not out of reach. if you make them, you'll achieve them.
rick
2004-01-09 9:04 AM

User image

Veteran
Lubbock, TX
I just want to thank everyone for the overwhelming encouragement and support I have received here. I have to confess that I was a little worried about posting here for fear of being ridiculed or flamed as sometimes happens on internet forums. But here, the atmosphere is SO positive and supportive. This *really* makes me want to strive to reach my goals now. Thank you again everyone for your well wishes.
2004-01-09 9:14 AM
in reply to: #3491

User image

Champion
Gold member

the only time we will flame u is if your slacking on your training...your not by the look of your trianing log.

hehe

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Newbie: If I only had a brain... Rss Feed