General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner..which Polar HRM to get?? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-01-08 11:01 AM

Subject: Beginner..which Polar HRM to get??
Hey yall! I am new to triathlons and I am wondering which Polar HRM I should get. I really like the S720i, however do I need all of those features. Should I spend that much money. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thanks, kurt

2004-01-08 11:05 AM
in reply to: #3410

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
Subject: RE: Beginner..which Polar HRM to get??
Depends on what you want and how much you want to spend. Of course, it also depends on how much of a geek factor you want :-) The 720 will give you great geek factor! I bought the 610 before I started cycling and wish I had known, but I bought a cateye computer for the bike for $40 that does all the bike functionality the 720 does except for HR (wear my 610 for that) and the saved data for bike functions. I have to write it down from bike computer. Takes about 10 secs.

I like the computer download functionality, but if you don't care about that, you can get a model that is much cheaper. M or A series. Also consider the TimeLink series (see thread under product review forum) which also includes GPS for distance and pace.

Search for other threads on this topic. Others have bought the cheaper ones and are happy with them.
2004-01-08 11:09 AM

Extreme Veteran
Fort Wayne, IN
It really does depend on what you want to get out of it. I also liked the more technical ones (also more expensive) but wasn't really sure what I would use and what I woulnd't. I ended up getting the Polar M52 and it really is all I need right now. I look at it like the bike. I would like a top of the line bike but do I need one since this is my first year of training and racing....probably not and in most circles around here they will tell you for sure use what you have first. The polar M52 is pretty simple to use and has all that I need to worry about now. I would like to see my MHR reached in an exercise but the polar will only remember the average. Not a huge deal for me now but I think eventually I would like to see my workouts on the computer with graphs ect...the M52 doesn't do that. I have enought time to train and keep a pretty basic log. Next season I will probably focus on details of getting better fit, better trained. If I had the highly technical gadget now I would probably have a case of the analysis paralysis and not get the important stuff like training done. My time is limited so I need to squeeze what I can in, in.
2004-01-08 11:16 AM

Expert
NC Illinois
Originally, I was of the opinion, that all one needed was a simple HRM that told you your heart rate.

I'm changing my tune a bit. Like cameronw, I want one that will download into PC Coach (Christmas Gift). The cheapest one that does this is PS410, which is 188 bucks.

I would really like to have one that told me distance travelled via GPS. So, you could just go run and only look down at the HRM once in a while to make sure you're under your max zone (or set the upper limit for alarm).

If you are going to committ to HR training, I guess you might as well get as functional of a HRM as you can afford.

The more options you get, the less headache. I would DEFINATELY get one that has "average heart rate". Instantaneous heart rate is not all that useful for a session of an hour plus a 15 minute warmup and cooldown.

Edited by TripleThreat 2004-01-08 11:22 AM
2004-01-08 12:48 PM

Extreme Veteran
PohangSi
It's pretty nice to have a monitor that will allow you to set multiple training zones. For instance the triathlon training bible describes workouts for 5 different training zones. For instance do a 2hr bike ride in zone 2 with 2-15 minute intervals in zone 3. My monitor has 3 programable zones which is all you need for this. It gives time in each zone and time above and below each zone. So you program for zone 2, 3 and 4. Your time in zone one(tri bible xone 1 of 5) is equal to the time below zone 1 on your monitor. And your time in zone 5 is equal to your time above zone 3 on your monitor. Wow, that's probably really confusing, but it's really pretty simple. Bottom line is it's nice not to have to reset my zone each time I want to do a different workout.
JD
2004-01-08 4:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Epworth. Iowa
Or go cheap. I was looking at the s series and kind of lusting for the super multi-function ones. But started adding up. Hmmm - new swim gear (I've been rec. swimming in bloomers ) and I just invested in biking shorts to save my butt in the new spinnning clas, will need a bike early spring, new shoes last week and I am closing in on my promise to my bride that this won't cost as much as boating. (Did I say my lifetime goal is Hawaii IM - or maybe pipedream)

So, I went for the Polar a3 - nearly bottom of the line. I liek it very much, however, and for now it does my HR fine and keeps me in my target zone. It saves one file at a time, but eno. for me to keep log fiarly acurate.After the first season, when hopefully, I discover I am a "lifer" - I will begin upgrading stuff. Right now - I'm sving my pennies for the bike. (Still researching exactly which one.)

2004-01-08 6:03 PM

User image

Central Louisiana
Just something that one of my friends told me about the Timex GPS system. Performs great, but the strap on the heart rate monitor is kinda of small. We are checking to see if they come in sizes like the polar straps do.

I have the s410 and use it with polar coach and love it.

2004-01-08 9:23 PM

I have started with a Timex Ironman Triathlon...about $75 at my local sports store.

Has everything a newbie needs...waterproof...50 lap memory...time in zone...alarm to tell you when out of aerobic zone...

After a year or so into it I will spring for a top notch HRM...for now there are just so many things and gear I need to buy, I do not want to drop a bundle on a HRM that has too much to offer (since I have no baseline to compare to).

This just seems to be a PLUS to me...not a must have like a bike, swim suit, or good running shoes...but good to have none the less.

My $0.02

Regards,

Delonie
2004-01-09 5:12 AM
in reply to: #3448

New user

Houston, Texas
I just started using the S720i along with my PC Coach Mike Pigg Triathlon program and like it a lot. It was really expensive and I had to get that in lieu of other things for Christmas, but I like the fact it all syncs with the computer.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner..which Polar HRM to get?? Rss Feed