Pretzel City Sports
30F / -1C
Overcast
Total Time = 10h 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 0/
Event warmup:

Stood on the ice sheet at the park. When I tried to stretch, my feet shot out from under me and I did a faceplant right into the ice, becoming the race's first casualty. Fortunately, these races never start on time so I was able to continue warming up by going over to the ambulance and wiping the blood off. The remainder of the warmup consisted of finding comebacks to comments like "hey you're not supposed to get hurt till the race starts!"
Run
  • 1h 50m
  • 7.25 miles
  • 15m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

This was a unique experience. As the race app said, 'it lives down to it's name'. It wasn't muddy, but it sure was ugly. Lots of: butt sliding, hanging onto trees, falling, sliding, being bowled over by other runners, and jogging at a fast walk pace while holding both arms out for balance.

I felt great during the race, probably because I was going so slow. It was frightening but fun doing the downhills. It was frustrating but fun doing the uphills.

Overall, it mostly fun and was over before I knew it.

After the fall, I started out in dead last place, but was able to pass some folks over the first half. I passed a lot of people at the water/beer stop. People who know me will find that hard to believe, but it's true. Of course since beer laden college kids are still faster than me, a lot of them passed me back later.

I think I fell about five or six times, and one time a tree bit me. But it was a pretty day in the icy woods, and it beat hanging out at home. What a great time. I'm so glad it's over.
What would you do differently?:

One word: CLEATS. I ran this in my Brooks adrenaline gts sneaks, with very little tread left on them. What was I thinking? Not much. My other shoes are worse for trail running (under heel cutouts).

My mark for overall decision making reflects my race entry and persistance after having seen the conditions.
Post race
Warm down:

pancake eating, Spaaten drinking. Grateful prayers, sacrifices, dancing.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The ice. Frozen blood. General slowpokitude.

Event comments:

I reccomend this race to anyone who can laugh at suffering. Did you enjoy Into Thin Air because of the frostbite descriptions? Run this. Think The Worst Journey In the World was inspirational? Here's a race for you.

Last updated: 2007-02-26 12:00 AM
Running
01:50:00 | 07.25 miles | 15m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: From zero to 0.2 miles the course followed a local road from the start at the park to a steep uphill with no trail, the prupose being to spread out the pack. The next segment from 0.2 to 1.87 miles followed steeply climbing and descending single track to a final climb up to the Reading pagoda with spectacular views of the valley. From this point the trail went over rolling, rocky terrain till about 3 miles, where a beautiful flat section through the woods provided some relief through to mile 4 or 4.5. The next section consisted of a descent to valley bottom, followed immediately by a climb right back up. I don't know the actual elevation change here and don't care to guess since I was pretty zoned out here. At the very bottom was a water/beer stop. After the climb there was another rolling section before the descent back into the park and the final climb up Mt Mud, a steep erosion bank requiring both hands. A note on course conditions: Completely covered in about 4" of ice from start to finish. This ice was hard and slippery. Most of the people I saw wound up on their backs at some point. The footing was actually a bit easier since the rocks were mostly smoothed over, once you discount the sliding/gliding/falling hazard.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-02-26 8:55 PM

User image

Regular
Malvern, PA
Subject: Ugly Mudder Trail Run

2007-02-26 9:06 PM
in reply to: #704318

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-03-01 6:45 PM
in reply to: #704318

Master
Royersford, PA
Subject: RE: Ugly Mudder Trail Run
That was quite an adventure wasn't it. It was quite an accomplishment just to make it though the course. I waited until the race started until I got hurt (Slid downhill into a rock and got 4 stitches.) I may have packed it up and headed to the post race early if I had done your warm up. Great job! I can't even imagine that someone was able to do that course in those conditions under 50 minutes.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ugly Mudder Trail Run Rss Feed