General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Newb thinking about my 1st tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-03-02 12:41 AM

New user

Knoxville, TN
Subject: Newb thinking about my 1st tri
Thinking about doing the trideltathon in april.

anyone done this one? is it pretty beginner friendly? havn't really done any competitive stuff since football in high school (3 years ago)

i can run about 4 miles at a 8.5 min pace, bike 10-15 at around 16mph avg, and swim between 300-600 yards depending on the day... sometimes i feel like i can go forever and others i feel like a brick swimming.

i live on campus so i've been training on somewhat the same course as the actual thing but i'm still nervous.

2007-03-05 10:49 AM
in reply to: #708572

User image

Master
New York
Subject: RE: Newb thinking about my 1st tri
I did the race last year, and it's a lot of fun. It's relatively well organized (for such a small race) with pretty good crowd support, a fun & safe course, and halfway decent schwag. It's a fun way to spend a Sunday morning.

The only slight downfall was the necessary seeded swim start. It takes about a month and a half to get everyone in the pool and swimming, since they seed at 6 second intervals. I am a 6:15/400yd swimmer, and honestly by the time I was in the pool some people were running. That, and there is no enforcement whatsoever of the "self seed," so it's really not laddered fast --> slow. But so be it.

It's fun. Do it!

I'd be back again if it wasn't the weekend after IMAZ.

Edited by KenyonTri 2007-03-05 10:49 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Newb thinking about my 1st tri Rss Feed