Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Judged sports should be banned Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2004-08-24 7:05 AM

User image

Expert
Montreal
Subject: Judged sports should be banned
I watched yesterday as a Romanian vaulter did a vault with a 9.9 rating and fell off the mat when he landed the vault (a compulsory 0.7 deduction) and still scored a 9.32 on the vault to put him on the podium for a bronze just ahead of the Canadian who had defeated him the previous day in floor exercises.

The Canadian contingent tried to file a protest. The Romanian head judge refused to hear the protest. Colour me surprised.

First the Canadian's should have known better - and they should stop whining when the judging goes against them. It is a judged sport - suck it up and move on.

Second - judged sports don't belong in the Olympics. It should be first across the line or highest score. Clear cut.

Just my two cents.

2004-08-24 8:55 AM
in reply to: #52241

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2004-08-24 9:29 AM

Extreme Veteran
Boston, MA
Subject: RE: Judged sports should be banned
I was pretty frustrated as well.... any gymnist will tell you that thier sport is completely subjective (what other sport do you see female athletes having perfectly held back and geled hair with make up as well???) I have no idea how such a subjective sport ever made it into the olympics... was "prettiest"' added to the motto of "faster, higher stronger"?

Judging events always have some sort of scandal in the olympics (or at least thats what it seems like). Anyone remember the french judge who gave a high score to some figure skaters who had fallen??

but i think that any judge who allows the audience to affect thier score, whether up or down, should be immediately banned for life b'c that just opens up an huge can of worms that should never be released...
2004-08-24 9:36 AM

Extreme Veteran
Kennesaw, GA
I was talking about this last night. I am of the opinion that there should be some sort of instant replay or review before the score is posted. These judged sports do belong in the Olympics, I just wish there was a way to somewhat insure a fair and unbiased score.

On a different note....What I think is imbalanced is team sports versus individual sports. For instance if youre a great swimmer of track star you compete in any certain number of events that is based upon your individual discipline, i.e. 100m, 200m 400m sprints then do it again w/ hurdles, then as a relay, then with some other deviation. The same goes for swimming. So if you compete 8 times there are 8 medals. In team events however you play a series of games and there is only one medal. Take softball there is no gold medal for pitching, hitting, base running, catching, etc. There is nothing wrong with the current system, it just seems there is an imbalance in events. Just my 2 cents.

Maybee if a team won a medal in an event then each team member medals it could count not as one medal but as many medals as there are athletes on the team.

Edited by tplauche 2004-08-24 9:43 AM
2004-08-24 9:49 AM

Veteran
Milwaukee
I think the Olympics should go to a American Idolish type voting system - what the heck since it is so subjective and makes no sense what so ever - why not have a phone/Internet vote and let the world decide who wins...

I am so frustrated by the scoring system. It is the Olympics! How can it be so messed up?!?
2004-08-24 10:31 AM

Master
This has been a pet peeve of mine for years. My wife and I always argue about this, but in my opinion subjectively judged events are not sports. Many of these events, like gymnastics, diving and figure skating require a tremendous amounts of athletic ability and grace, but they are not really sporting events. They are on the same level as ballet, painting or sculpting. Beautiful to look at and appreciate, tremendously difficult to do well, but not a sport.

Anything judged based on asthetics cannot be a sport. After all "beauty is in the eye of the beholder." If we lined up 5 people and asked them who won the men's high bar last night, we could easily get 5 different answers. That is not a sporting event but a beauty contest.

Add to that the fact that the judging seems to be flat out corrupt, and it makes it very difficult to take the events seriously.

Just my 2 cents.

Bill

2004-08-24 1:15 PM
in reply to: #52315

Elite
Livingston, MT
MUL98 - 2004-08-24 7:31 AM

This has been a pet peeve of mine for years. My wife and I always argue about this, but in my opinion subjectively judged events are not sports. Many of these events, like gymnastics, diving and figure skating require a tremendous amounts of athletic ability and grace, but they are not really sporting events. They are on the same level as ballet, painting or sculpting. Beautiful to look at and appreciate, tremendously difficult to do well, but not a sport.

Anything judged based on asthetics cannot be a sport. After all "beauty is in the eye of the beholder." If we lined up 5 people and asked them who won the men's high bar last night, we could easily get 5 different answers. That is not a sporting event but a beauty contest.

Add to that the fact that the judging seems to be flat out corrupt, and it makes it very difficult to take the events seriously.

Just my 2 cents.

Bill

Agreed, ditto, couldn't have said it better myself, you go dawg!
2004-08-24 4:25 PM

Master
Marietta, Ga
I don't know about a ban, but I personally don't like any of the "sports" where a third party decides the winner. That seems more like a pageant. To me, sport is where the game itself determines the winner. This is why I don't like gymnastics or ice skating or diving. The artistry of these athletes is amazing, but its how the winner is decided that really ruins it for me.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Judged sports should be banned Rss Feed