General Discussion Triathlon Talk » PC Coach Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-01-09 7:03 AM

User image

Expert
England
Subject: PC Coach

I have seen a few references to PC Coach/Piggs Triathlon software in a few posts and was wondering what people's views of it are? I had a look at their website so have a flavour of what it is but wondered how people found the plans, usability etc.

I'm a big fan of gadgets and PC use for planning & reference etc and find the log on here very useful so wondered if this could be for me? I do have a nasty habit of wanting to change stuff so am not likely to slavishly follow any given training plan without my own 'slight improvements' incorporated though!!!!

2004-01-09 9:07 AM
in reply to: #3481

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
Subject: RE: PC Coach
When I first got my watch last year, I looked at it and didn't fit my needs. I also had already created my own logs with spreadhseets. Others have said they like it. I will have to take another look now that I am training differently.
2004-01-09 9:19 AM

Expert
NC Illinois
I asked about it here and at different websites before owned it, and I got no positive feedback on it. I forgot to tell my wife not to get it for me for Christmas. I got it. I looked at it, and it seemed okay. I was trying to move away from HRM training, but after the progress in the swim using the HRM, I decided to try it longer.

When I think back, most of the complaints about PC Coach were that the interface wasn't pretty enough (or as functional as they wanated it), and that people (i.e. more advanced and experienced triathles) wanted more input in designing their own workouts, etc ... than actual complaints of results of the program. In other words, the complaints were differences in preference and not necessarily diferences in results.

My only problem with it thus far, is that doing some things at 150HR (like running) is, for me, barely above walking. So, it takes a little faith that this "will work".

Swimming at 150 is great for me, cycling at 150 is great for me also, b/c it means "spinning" which is what I should be doing at this stage anyway. But, running at 150 means like a 14:30 mile pace. I can comfortably run a 9:30 mile, and probably somewhere around 8:00 mile is I'm pushing it (i.e. racing).

But, I guess the idea is to increase the body's aerobic efficiency so that I (for an example) can run a 13:00 (or less) mile pace at 150HR. So my effort stays the same, but my pace quickens. Then when it's time to switch to speed work (when the slow run pace ins't dropping anymore ... as determined by the MAF test), the speed work will be even more effective than if I had not done the slow trianing.

I like not having to come up with my own workouts. If I had to do that, many of my workouts would be clones, and it would get redundant, mundane and boring quite quickly.

I wish I had a HRM that will upload info directly into the program. I will have one in a month or two. My wife says I have to save my "allowance".

I know Michael is using PC Coach, let's see if cameronw will start using, and we can get some kind of an experience discussion going about PC Coach's effectiveness in regards to actual "training performance", rather than the fringe preference issues that seem to get dwelled on.

Let's see if we can answer the questions, "How much faster did you get from the PC Coach's training techniques", because in the end .... that's alll that matters.
2004-01-09 9:20 AM

Expert
NC Illinois
Adding to the my previous post ... I have another spreadsheet that I use, and I'll try to update my log here every week ... so that if interested parties want to get a taste of the PC Coach training, they can order their own, or copy what I am doing.
2004-01-09 9:36 AM
in reply to: #3498

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
TripleThreat - 2004-01-09 12:19 PM
My only problem with it thus far, is that doing some things at 150HR (like running) is, for me, barely above walking. So, it takes a little faith that this "will work".

I know Michael is using PC Coach, let's see if cameronw will start using, and we can get some kind of an experience discussion going about PC Coach's effectiveness in regards to actual "training performance", rather than the fringe preference issues that seem to get dwelled on.

I have the same exact problem TripleThreat. To me, running at 160-165 HR is conversational. To keep below 150, i don't feel like getting anywhere. It is soooo hard to hold it back when it feels so easy.

I will look into the PC Coach more as time permits. I've got to get healed and be able to train first though :-)
2004-01-09 9:39 AM
in reply to: #3500

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
TT, I would be interested in seeing your logs. Thanks.

2004-01-09 7:06 PM

User image

Central Louisiana
I do have PC coach and to me it really is no different than having a real live coach as far as the workouts. I have just quit using a personal coach because of a a new baby that is just around the corner in May and coaching was a luxury for me. Last year, after 3 months using the program, my run time for 3 miles dropped by 8 minutes, which may not be much for you fast guys, but it was a lot for me. I had an injury in April and had to lay off run for about a month and shortly after that I picked up a personal coach. I will start new program on PC coach Sunday and will let you know how things progress for me this time.
2004-01-09 8:42 PM
in reply to: #3528

Extreme Veteran
Fort Wayne, IN
Hey Michael,
I don't know if you meant fast guys or lighter weight guys or what but you take 8 minutes off of anyone's 3 mile time and that is huge. Congrats and keep us posted on your likes, dislikes and experiences with the PC Coach. It may be something I would be interested in sometime in the future....Keep Tri'ing
2004-01-09 9:21 PM
in reply to: #3528

User image

Central Louisiana
I guess what I meant was it is a lot easier lower my run time, than it is for someone who is turning a sub 10 min mile. It is hard to compare my improvements to that of most others, because for some odd reason they ain't a lot of us out there my size. HA HA! You know apples to apples thing!

Belive me I will take every sec I can get!
2004-01-10 9:54 PM
in reply to: #3536

New user

Houston, Texas
I am using Pigg's PC Coach and I like it; however, I am new to this sport, so I don't know anything else. Since I just started training, I really need a consistent workout plan and PC Coach provides that. I plug in the data and analyze it and my MAF results have been consistently better.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » PC Coach Rss Feed