General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimmers shoulders Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-03-10 8:31 AM

User image

Regular
Lynchburg, Va
Subject: Swimmers shoulders

Swimmers shoulder //inflamation of the shoulder. I’m experiencing my second go around with it. The first time took rest and a cortisone shot to take away the pain and inflamation. This time, only 2 month later it’s back and getting worse. I have not swam for a week but the rest isn’t making it any better. The doctor told me to take ibuprofen, and I have been, but not getting results.

Those who have experienced this in the past, what can I do to help this problem and stop it from reoccurring? My HIM is 3 months from today and I’m not ready for the swim part even if I was 100%. I need to get in the pool but don’t want to make it worse.

2007-03-10 8:48 AM
in reply to: #718262

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-03-10 9:08 AM

Master
Harvard, Illinois
Subject: RE: Swimmers shoulders

I had my rotator cuff rebuilt 20 some years ago and will get inflammation real easy if I do the wrong thing.

I quickly looked at your logs. Stop doing the any exercise that requires you to push weight over your head. Stop all bench press. Don't do dips or upright rows. Do your front and side lateral raises. Another exercise to try is the side lying lateral. Lay on your side. Take a light dumbbell in your free hand and place it on top of your hip. Now raise it to a 45 degree angle. This will work all of the rotator cuff muscles.

Your swimming might not have caused this. You may never feel any pain when you lifted the way you did but when you add swimming to the mix it may make things worse.

It has taken me as long a month to make the pain go away. Be patient. These are small muscles in a very technical joint.

2007-03-10 9:44 AM

Extreme Veteran
Home port
Ok, first this is advice coming from a swimmer of 35+ yrs and a lot of it with shoulder problems.  1- do not get any more cortisone shots!!  I am not a doctor, but I had 4 cortisone shots over a 3 yr period.  Only the first one worked.  Any doctor worth his salt will not let you get another one. #2- My advice from personal experience is go to a sports chiropractor if possible or one who has experience with athletes or swimmers.  You need some intense therapy, and excercises from a therapist who has rehabed athletes.  This last thing is what I have done in the past, and what I am doing right now.  I am not a doctor, but I know what has worked for me the last 3x I had problems.  I had rotator cuff trauma(no tear) last year, and did all the therapy and excercises, and was racing in 2 mths.   #3- all the advice regarding swim techniques and not doing certain overhead lifting offered from others is excellent advice.  You will get better, just remember you have a life time to do triathlons, and it is all about the big picture. 

Edited by TRIBMAC 2007-03-10 9:45 AM
2007-03-10 10:21 AM

Veteran
Quebec city
I'm in the same situation as you right now. Since the Xmas holidays, it's the 2nd time I have inflammation in my shoulders. We had a tri-training camp during the holidays and we swam about 10 000m/day during 4-5 days in a row. That and my technique not being perfect, voilĂ !

I have to agree with Tribmac. Go see a chiro or physio to be treated. Mine advised me to do stretch cords exercises for the rotator cuffs. I'm doing it every 2 days since 1 week and a half.

I started going back to the pool but I only do breaststroke, backstroke and kick (a whole lot of kick! w and without fins to change a little and help the ankle flexibility). You should avoid fly and as somebody else mentionned weights involving something like benchpress or bicep flexion (I think, not sure). Evidently, I'm no doctor so...

Good luck with that!

Steve
2007-03-11 6:35 AM

Master
What do swimmer's shoulders feel like? I've had a bit of tingliness and numbness in the arm connected to soreness where the collarbone meets the shoulder. I had attributed it to straining during yoga but now wonder if it's swim related.

Also, what stretch chord exercises are you doing?

Edited by monkeyboy64 2007-03-11 6:38 AM

2007-03-11 8:06 AM
in reply to: #718813

Extreme Veteran
Home port

if you are experiencing numbness or tingling you should seek medical advice from a doctor/chiropractor.  If you are lucky, the chiro will have a pt or trainer on site.  He can prescribe proper exercises for you.

2007-03-11 8:59 AM

Master
My regular doc gave me a sheet of shoulder stretches. I find that some neck stretches I learned from a Yoga tape actually seem to help more. I also have been icing regularly. It's getting better, but I'm curious if it's a similar thing to the what others call swimmer's shoulder.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimmers shoulders Rss Feed