General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » hey all Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-01-12 10:54 AM

User image

Veteran
Malvern PA
Subject: hey all
Hi,

I'm a 31 yo guy in Malvern PA (Philly area) and I am going to do a triathlon in 2005. I've never been an athlete, so I want to give myself plenty of lead time with this. This seems like a great site for encouragement, motivation, and advice.

Except for backpacking and bicycling I've always been kind of a couch potato. Then last year my wife (rock climber) and a friend (biker) got me started on a fitness program and I was able to do a metric century ride out here in lancaster, and that left me feeling fantastic for about three days. It was so much fun that I want to try a tri. I don't know if it's going to work or not, but I'm going to go for it. I hope to get to know all of you, and have fun training together.

Right now (PA winter) I'm going to my local Y about 5X weekly for cardio (an EFX machine) and weights. I'd like to start using the pool there...I can swim, just can't breathe at the same time! And I'm going to start running as well, with a short term goal of doing a 5K this April.

Best of luck to all of you.

Edited by wrybosome 2004-01-12 10:55 AM

2004-01-12 11:27 AM
in reply to: #3655

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
Subject: RE: hey all
Welcome TC! Congrats on the century ride. Sounds like the cycle part for a tri will be very easy for you. Take it slow and don't over do it starting out. Do you have a race in mind?
2004-01-12 11:44 AM
in reply to: #3658

User image

Veteran
Malvern PA
Thanks for the welcome Cameron,

I don't have a specific race picked out, but the distances for the olympic event sound like what I'm looking for. I was looking on trifinder, but they didn't have local events out to 2005, and I'm not sure yet which are annual. Right now I'm just going to concentrate on learning to run and swim, though if you know any PA/NJ/DE area events let me know.

Hehe, I do tend to overdo things, but with the swimming it's going to be astruggle to underdo them I think.

2004-01-12 12:58 PM

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
Why not do one this year? Find a Sprint one to shoot for later this year! I find having a specific event to train for (in any sport) makes a big difference to me.
2004-01-12 2:01 PM

User image

Champion
Gold member

welcome!  with that century ride u have, a sprint at the end of the year may not be too far fetched...we r here for help.  just keep working on the swim...at will magically become easier...helps to have a good coach or swim program at the beginning if your making white-water.

2004-01-12 2:38 PM
in reply to: #3690

User image

Veteran
Malvern PA
That would make a pretty great goal for 2004...I was thinking next year since I'm such a beginner on the swimming and running end. But the challenge of trying to do a sprint this year is pretty exciting. I'll keep it in mind and see how I progress. Thanks!

2004-01-12 7:16 PM

User image

Central Louisiana
Do you think that you really can wait until 2005?
2004-01-12 7:33 PM
in reply to: #3708

User image

Veteran
Malvern PA
hmmmm...with current physique and state of mind, probably! I've never been in good shape at any point in my life. I not only wasn't a student athlete when I was younger, I had trouble with the mile and half back then. Trouble finishing, I mean. I started bicycling distance two summers ago, and got to where I was a strong C or weak B rider. Then this September I started working out more seriously, and putting time into it. I've seen good results, but progress takes time. The triathlon seems like such a far-off goal that I thought 18 months of training seemed reasonable. It's hard for me to know exactly how much training it'll take to be able to even finish one of these, but I can see the kind of work that's ahead to do it. I just hope I do stick with it.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » hey all Rss Feed