xterra1 Votes - [5.88%]
Oneal1 Votes - [5.88%]
Aquaman1 Votes - [5.88%]

2004-02-06 9:19 AM
in reply to: #189

User image

Expert
Evansville, IN
Subject: RE: Wetsuits--What are you using?
Does anyone feel like the full sleeve wetsuits restrict your arm motions or take some getting used to? It just seems like a sleevless one would be less restrictive. Let me know what you think.

2004-02-06 5:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Illinois
I don't have a short sleeve one to compare to, but comparing the surfing one [DON'T GET ADVICE ON WETSUITS FROM SURFING SHOPS- they'll pretend to know what they're talking about] to my orca triathlon one-....

a tri full sleeve, i'm supposing, should make you feel as if you're being restricted. it's definately warmer, great for cold water tri's. I practiced a few times with my long sleeve before the race -it seemed to have helped.

i would like a short sleeve to compare the difference. maybe i can cut off the sleeves and from the knee on down and convert it to a short sleeve... hmm
2004-02-08 4:00 PM
in reply to: #6186

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431
if you get one that fits well it shouldn't be restrictive. I have a QR full suit, but I think in my next life I'd go with a 2-piece for a perfect fit on top and bottom.

2004-02-08 6:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Waco, Texas
umbach,
I have a sleeveless model Orca. I like it. I know that a bunch of us got ours together and one of the guys in the group became very envious of me because of the sleeve issue! I didn't find that I felt cold, b/c it covers the back of my shoulder (not a Y back style). It is easier to get into and, most especially, out of. There's my two cents!

Vanessa
2004-02-08 6:44 PM

The two piece possibly offering a better fit for top and bottom is food for thought!! I will include this in my try-ons... Thanks
2004-02-10 3:41 PM
in reply to: #6483

User image

Regular
Seattle
I did a separate post (Product Reviews / "Great wetsuit combo") about the ProMotion Tri Sleeves. (www.wetsuit.com)

Essentially, they're a wetsuit jacket (torso and sleeves) that fits under a regular sleeveless. (1mm thick chest, 2mm thick arms, loose/flex material in shouldedrs)

In short, I really like them. I've got a sleeveless wetsuit, and then use the sleeves when the water gets cold. Plus, you can get a slightly different fit for top and bottom.

To address some of the general wetsuit questions I've seen here...
- a Triathlon wetsuit is 100% different from a surfing or jetskiing or other wetsuit. It is designed for swimming, and is flexible while adding warmth and bouyancy. You cannot compare a surfing etc. wetsuit. They might keep you warm, but they will slow you down.

- a Tri wetsuit aids swimming by:
- increased bouyancy will raise you into a natural swimming position. The worse of a swimmer you are, the more it helps. (Top swimmers hate wetsuit-legal races, because it reduces their advantage). My wetsuit helps me by about 10 minutes per mile.
- increased bouyancy also increases confidence, which helps when you're a mile from shore.
- newer wetsuits have a slick outer "skin" that is supposed to glide better through the water
- some models have features such as treads on the arms or hips, which theoretically aid in pushing water

- A Tri wetsuit should be tight accross your legs, chest, and arms, but relatively loose in the shoulders (to avoid fatigue). But not so tight in the chest that it constricts breathing. Think aerodynamics. Loose shoulders might be slightly thinner, or of a different material, to flex better.

- A Tri wetsuit should be relatively easy to exit. Most recent models have nice long zippers in back, maybe angled legs, etc. Fullsuits are actually not much harder to exit than sleeveless (to exit, you basically pull from the front of the neck and peel. This is probably the only negative about the TriSleevs that I love so much - the zipper is in front, and so it's like taking off a tight jacket.) 2-piece suits, such as the Desoto, involve pulling the top off over your head, and then slipping out of the bottom.

2004-02-12 10:33 PM

User image

Expert
Torrington,CT
I've been looking at tri wetsuits online. They seemed to imply that you could wear it swimming, biking, and running. Is that true, or are they really only good in the water? I like the idea of a two piece suit, less restrictive it would seem. Anybody out there with some good advice. How about you tri-mom?

Thanks,
Evelyn

PS. I was injured two years ago during Marathon training, I'm finally getting back!!!!
2004-02-13 3:18 PM
in reply to: #7127

User image

Regular
Seattle
Evelyn,

A Tri "wetsuit" is only worn when swimming. Ie, this is the big neoprene concoction that keeps you warm and makes you float. These help us slow swimmers feel like fast swimmers, and are legal when the water temp is below 77 degrees.

A "tri-suit" is a one- or two-piece outfit that you can wear for swimming, biking, and running. If the water's cold, you just wear this under your wetsuit. If it's warm, you still wear this, but no wetsuit.

The basics of a tri-suit are that it has a bike crotch pad (chamois) for biking, but one that is generally smaller than that of a "standard" bike short. Thus, less bulk to get in the way of swimming and running. They are quick-drying, too.

The alternative to a tri-suit is a separate bathing suit, biking shorts/top, and running shorts/top. For an Iron-distance race, average racers might prefer changing and having fresh clothes for each. (Plus, they generally provide a tent for iron). For half-iron and shorter, you generally won't have a tent. Plus, the time you take to change has more of an impact, so lots of people like to wear just one thing the whole time.

As for one- vs. two-piece, that comes down to preference. I've only done iron-distance, and so changed for each stage.
-r
2004-02-15 1:09 PM

New user

If you get the right fit, they do not restrict arm movement. If the water temp. is low 60's or colder, then I would go the long-sleeve route. Your arms start to get too cold without them and your movements are slowed and more labored. Also, wetsuits do give you more bouyancy which takes some getting used to, but actually helps with your speed. My favorite ones are the sleeveless, full-length ones... but the water has to be in the upper 60's at least. Good-luck!
2004-03-10 7:30 AM

User image

Expert
Iowa
Xterra Vector. Swam in it for the first time in the pool 3/9, and initial reaction is WOW! Very comfortable, very fast and very well fit. This will increase your confidence for any swim anywhere!
2004-03-11 10:56 AM

toronto
I have a Hammerhead full suit and I love it. The best part about it is when I bought it the guy at the store made a major mistake and charged me his cost and not retail. His loss I saved 150$, that’s what they get for such a crazy retail mark up

2004-03-11 1:52 PM

Veteran
South Orange, NJ
New to all this and planning on my first triathlon in June. Considering a ProMotion Tri Wet Suit, maybe sleeveless with a purchase of the sleeves separately, a neat idea. I was wondering, among my 100's of questions, what do you wear under the wetsuit, I mean you don't strip and put on your bike pants, I assume you wear something under the wetsuit to just get on your bike and go?

Thanks
2004-03-11 1:56 PM

toronto
personally i wear a pair of tri shorts under, they dry in no time on the bike
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wetsuits--What are you using? Rss Feed  

of 2