General Discussion Triathlon Talk » one-sided lower back pain Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-04-10 10:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver CO
Subject: one-sided lower back pain
I have this very sharp twinge in my lower back, left side, whenever I push off my left leg. The pain is right above where the butt and lower back meet. It's bad enough that I have to change my gait when I walk. This JUST started this morning and I'm terrified! Anyone know what this is? And how to take care of it? I tried stretching it out but it didn't help.

2007-04-10 11:17 AM
in reply to: #755269

User image

Extreme Veteran
Horse Country
Subject: RE: one-sided lower back pain
I have a similar pain there from time to time. I feel that core workouts help strengthen that up very nicely. A few exercises/stretches that work for me are:

* On all fours stretch left leg back and right arm out ... then alternate. You can curl the leg up for extra effect
* Lie on your back and do straight leg lifts and hold it
* Cat / Cow stretch ... on all fours arch your back way up like an angry cat, then reverse like a cow
* Piriformis stretches - http://www.drbackman.com/piriformis-muscle-stretch.htm

Good luck ... I hope these help
2007-04-10 12:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Hertfordshire, England

I had that once, and it turned out it was because my pelvis was out of line. The physio fixed it. It might not be anything like that though. Something that helped me was walking briskly, I found it evenen me out sort of, but you may not be able to do that as you say you have to change your gait. My advice would be to go and see a physio if you can.

Has this built up over a period of time or was it cause by a sudden movement? How long has it been going on for? I hope it works out ok for you.

2007-04-10 12:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Omaha, USA
Could just be some soreness/inflamation that will, for the most part, go away in a few days.
If it lasts longer it could be a number of concerns with your multifidi. My case was one multifidi on the right side of my spine was not developed as much as the one on the left and there was some compensation for it making it very uncomfortable to do anything.
The exercises/stretches provided are good ones that my PT also recommended to me along with Superman stretches - lying on your stomach, arms extended in front of you slightly lift your legs, chest and arms off the floor...lower yourself back to the floor and repeat.
Also make sure your hamstrings are loose.
2007-04-10 12:29 PM
in reply to: #755493

Champion
South Jersey

VeganMan - 2007-04-10 1:13 PM Could just be some soreness/inflamation that will, for the most part, go away in a few days.

He probably hit it on the nose with that statement above. But, I would caution against thinking you have anything that was mentioned above, and against trying out the PT exercises people are recommending. I have a degenerative disc condition that sometimes leads to what you're describing (and sometimes MUCH worse), so it just goes to show that it can be one of MANY things causing your discomfort. I would give it some time and see if it passes, but if not, get your butt to the doctor.  I wouldn't rush in to trying some of the PT exercises that have been described above until you're pain-free or cleared by a doc. BUT, that's just my opinion. (Some exercises can cause more harm than good if you're doing them improperly.)

In the meantime, you should be safe icing the area where the pain originates. But, I am no doctor so just take what I say with a grain of salt.

Good luck. I hope you feel better soon.

Edited by LaurenSU02 2007-04-10 12:31 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » one-sided lower back pain Rss Feed