General Discussion Race Reports! » Sand Hollow Aquatic Center Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Sand Hollow Aquatic Center Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
St. George, Utah
United States
47F / 8C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 09m 43s
Overall Rank = 33/182
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 6/24
Pre-race routine:

Bowl of Cereal, Slim Fast Shake, 1 Banana and a Clif Bar. Arrived about 1:00 hr prior to start of race. Mostly so I could get a closer parking spot.
Event warmup:

About 15 min. prior to start of race, I went for a half mile run. First time I have run since spraining my ankle 2 weeks ago. It felt fine then, so I figured that I would just run a normal race. Stretched out a bit, got pumped up to some Scorpions on the iPod, then headed into the pool for the start of the race.
Swim
  • 07m 24s
  • 400 yards
  • 01m 51s / 100 yards
Comments:

We all lined up single file in order to get assigned a lane as they opened up. Well it was my turn, I ran up to the lady who was showing us to our lanes, and mine was full, so was the next one, and the next. 20 seconds later, I found a lane. I could have been dang close to breaking 7:00 had I just gotten my lane when I ran in there. Once in, I felt very sure of myself, and turned in my best performance to date (competition).
What would you do differently?:

Make sure I have a lane prior to crossing the timing mat.
Learn flip turns.
Transition 1
  • 01m 51s
Comments:

I was cruising from the pool, and doing really good to get out of T1, but my helmet strap got all tangled up or something, and I couldn't get it free. A bit of cursing and some slow moving hands and I was on my way. Had to run with the bike for quite a ways before mounting.

Make sure helmet straps are good prior to race start.
Bike
  • 32m 19s
  • 10 miles
  • 18.57 mile/hr
Comments:

Left calf cramped up quite bad about 3 miles into the ride. I down shifted and dropped my calf to stretch it a bit. I thought I was going to have some trouble, but it only lasted about 2 minutes, then I was able to maintain a pretty good pace. The road is quite rough except maybe 1/4 mile of it.

Drink less. I got feeling a bit sloshy, which effected the first part of my run. Don't know if there is anything that I can do for the calf cramping up. Second time on this course, second time I have had the same problem. It may be the long uphill start of the course...who knows.
Transition 2
  • 00m 50s
Comments:

T2 pretty much rocked for me, all went as planned. My goal was 49 seconds, and I was at 50, so not bad at all.

Nothing
Run
  • 28m 8s
  • 3 miles
  • 09m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

Ran out of T2 just fine, was actually flying, and when I hit the bottom of the hill to start the initial climb, I had to walk it for about 50 yards. I was able to run 90% of the course until I got a terrible sharp cramp in my right side. I actually ran the whole run with cramps, but at this point they were so bad. I walked for about 100 yards, and then ran the rest of the course.

Run the whole course. Of course this was my first time running in a few weeks due to the sprain, so all in all, I think I did pretty well.
Post race
Warm down:

Did some stretching, thats about it.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training the past few weeks. Sprained ankle.

Event comments:

This is a fun race. A good way to get the feet wet at the beginning of the Tri season. I have done it both years of it's existence, and it has gotten better for sure. I will be doing this one annually.

Last updated: 2007-03-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:24 | 400 yards | 01m 51s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/24
Overall: 43/182
Performance: Good
Suit: 2 piece Orca Tri suit
Course: Indoor pool, 2 people to a lane. This pool was so warm, made it easy to be in there.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:51
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:32:19 | 10 miles | 18.57 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/24
Overall: 25/182
Wind: None
Course: The course starts immediately uphill, so it is tough finally catching your breath after the swim and T1. This lasts about 2 miles and then levels off. There are a few hill, but nothing too daunting.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 00:50
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:28:08 | 03 miles | 09m 23s  min/mile
Age Group: 16/24
Overall: 83/182
Performance: Average
Course: This is a recreational trail paved with asphalt. It is a nice out and back run x 2 loops. There is one nasty spot at the beginning that is quite steep, and not paved....but I handled it well.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-04-21 6:45 PM

Expert
Las Vegas
Subject: Sand Hollow Aquatic Center Sprint Triathlon

2007-04-21 9:02 PM
in reply to: #771440

User image

Subject: RE: Sand Hollow Aquatic Center Sprint Triathlon
Nice race!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Sand Hollow Aquatic Center Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed