General Discussion Triathlon Talk » getting back on the bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-04-22 6:42 PM

User image

Regular
Kirkland, WA
Subject: getting back on the bike
Over the last 3 years, I've done 4 sprint tri's, a duathlon (sprint distance), and a few 5k's etc.

Last summer I fell off the bike and broke my wrist. The fall was entirely operator error, going slow speed, fell onto grass. I can't think of an easier fall. Yet I ended up with surgery and a titanium plate in my wrist and months of therapy (and still there are things I have a hard time doing). Not to mention for a violin teacher, a wrist injury is a bit traumatic.

It's hard to admit on this forum to you pros (who call yourselves beginners!), but now I have a hard time getting back on the bike! I can finally put weight on my wrist for more than a few minutes (riding the trainer), and it's not constantly raining anymore, so I have no more excuses.

I went on one 15 mi ride a few weeks ago with a very patient friend, and was shaking so bad I was going 7 mph for the first half of the ride. I finally got myself up to 15 mph for that last bit.

Suggestions? Is it just a matter of time?

2007-04-22 6:58 PM
in reply to: #772022

User image

Elite
Chicago, IL
Subject: RE: getting back on the bike
awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

fwiw... I know the pain of breaking a wrist. I did it in 1994, and I remember (like you), when I could finally put pressure on again... it was so great to have my wrist back after it being so weak for so long. I remember lying on the floor once (as you often did as a kid), and resting your head on your hand with your elbow on the floor. Soon after I broke my arm, I was on the floor for some reason, and attempted to lay like that, and OMG I was so shocked at how weak my wrist was still after months of the cast coming off!!

So I totally know that fear!! I was so afraid to do anything that would risk me falling again!!, because I felt like I had no strength in the arm and no control to support me if I did fall

So I am not sure what to say... except maybe just a little at a time Also, it only being one year since you broke it, you are not all that wrong in assuming it's still weak, because it probably is. So you are probalbly smart to still protect it... but I think you can still bike some, just maybe small amounts to get your confidence back up...

but like I said, I'm your advocate when it comes to breaking the arm. I remember the day I got my cast off and my arm was so fragile and so tender, and I was walking through the city to the train, and I swore I'd beat up anybody who literally touched or brushed my arm, even by accident, LOL!!...that's how tender it was!!!

You'll be fine... in time like you said

(oh and I didn't even had surgery or a plate!!, so that goes to tell you how paranoid I was... just from a simple break )

Edited by pigfinn 2007-04-22 6:58 PM
2007-04-22 6:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
pinoy city
yes, it'  called - time in the saddle, make you faster too!!
2007-04-22 7:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
pinoy city
wow is that acronym banned too?
2007-04-22 7:15 PM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee, FL
Like all these folks have said, just some time riding should take care of that for you.  It's good that you have someone to go riding with, hopefully the two of you know some roads where there's not much traffic or activity and you can get back in the groove of things.  Best of luck to you!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » getting back on the bike Rss Feed