United States
84F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 48m 40s
Overall Rank = 21/74
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 4/5
Pre-race routine:

Had trouble getting some sleep night before. Work up showered, ate 2 PB&J's with a fignewton bar. Loaded up gear in truck and checked out before race because I didnt think I was going to make it back before check out time. Got everything at trasition set up in a decent spot. I was worried before the start because my blood glucose level of 347. I took 3 extra units to cover it.
Event warmup:

Jogged for about 8 min. Rode bike about 10min, then threw on wetsuit and got about 2 min of swimming Warmup. Then I had to listen to instructions because the coarse set up was a little confusioning being there were doing a sprint/olympic Du and Spint/olypmic tri all together.
Swim
  • 40m 41s
  • 1650 yards
  • 02m 28s / 100 yards
Comments:

There is no way this coarse was close to accurate. Everyone was complaining how the swim was easily >1mile. I feel I did a pretty good swim, however it did last forever and when I looked at my watch it was way past the time I wanted. I did come out in the middle of the front pack though. The water was real dark and you could not see anything in front of your face. I started off not so good and felt I was having trouble breathing in my wetsuit, however this went away at about the half of the first lap. The first lap was supper crowded. The sprint started 3 minutes before the olympic and after the 1st bouy I was having do dodge a lot of people that were blocking me. This made it hard for me to draft off of some poeple. I got a few kicks and hits in the face and had to adjust my goggles a few times. The second lap was better and less crowded. I feel by breathing and sighting was real good. The first bouy to the second seemed like forever, however I had a good rythmm and I knew I would not tire.
What would you do differently?:

I feel my swimming training was sufficiant for my 1st olympic swim. I am just disappointed because I know the distance was off and looking at my time per 100yard is a lot slower than it really is. I would put some more Body Glide on because I ended up with bad brush burns on my underarm from the wetsuit.
Transition 1
  • 04m 8s
Comments:

Long run from the beach across the street and up into parks baseball field. I had to check my blood sugar again because this was a health concern during the race. This probably added to my time. I tried to go as fast as I could be most of the people who passed me on the bike and got better times was from my transition. Then I got my bike and started running to the mount spot. I had to cross a street so bad I had to go in the grass. Volunteers were yelling at people telling them to walk and not run because the road was so bad. I was thingking to myself that this is a race and I am not walking.
Bike
  • 1h 16m 40s
  • 25 miles
  • 19.57 mile/hr
Comments:

Fairly good bike. I would like to average faster but I think I just need to put in more miles training. Cadence race is around 80-85. I just cant go as fast doing 90. So the last 3 mile I slacked up and did a cadence of 90 to get my running legs ready.

I tried to follow a race plan because I didnt want to tire out to fast because this was my first olympic. So I could have pushed it harder in the first half but I was trying to conserve and really push at mile 15.
Transition 2
  • 02m 26s
Comments:

At this point I had to pee so bad and there were no bathrooms on the run coarse so I got out of T2 fairly fast, but than I was running around the park looking for a bathroom. However the sprint race was already finished and people were everywhere standing on the race coarse and the lines for the bathrooms were long. This got me mad because I was impossible to use the restroom. So I just took off for the run. Then I could not find the exact start of the run because no one was directing people out of T2 and people were just standing around drinking beer. So I just ran from the bathroom line and onto the main road.

Yell out for directions.
Run
  • 46m 47s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 07m 33s  min/mile
Comments:

I wish I ran this fast for a 1ok, however I dont think it is true. I think post bathroom attempt when I jetted to the main road a skiped about .6 of a mile because my 1st mile split was 2:32. Later on during mile splits I came up with about a 8:10m/miles. The mile markers were missing on 2/6 miles and there were only 3 drink stations. In the prerace packet they said there was going to be one every mile with GUs too. However, there were only 3 and only 1 had gatorade and the rest just water. Beside that it was a nice run through the backstreet of nice beach house neighborhood.

PEE in a bush somewhere.
Post race
Warm down:

Packed up my stuff and ate some pizza and shrimp with Bud Light.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

In accurate distances

Event comments:

I was thinking about doing this race again in September but I dont think it was good enough to travel that far.

Last updated: 2007-05-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:40:41 | 1650 yards | 02m 28s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/5
Overall: 17/74
Performance: Good
Suit: LongJohn and Javelin trisuit
Course: Triangle swim. Olympic lapped twice.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:08
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:16:40 | 25 miles | 19.57 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/5
Overall: 35/74
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: 12.5 out and back. Fair headwind going out and tailwind coming back. 1 massive hill that made me shift through just about all of my gears.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:26
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good