General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Weight training program. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-09-09 7:22 AM

Regular
Subject: Weight training program.
I'm from a running background and I'm just starting out my triathlon training.
I was planning to do a 2-3 hours a week of each of the 3 sports for the next 4-6 weeks. Just base and technique building.

The training programs say to include weights to build strength. Apart from hill sprints I have never really done an strength specific training. Can anyone recommend a weekly workout for the triathlon and a beginner?

The gym instructor was really nice when I asked him but he didn't really offer any specific triathlon advice. In fact he seemed to be suggesting I need to improve how I'd look on the beach :-)

2004-09-09 11:49 AM
in reply to: #59425

User image

Champion
Gold member
Subject: RE: Weight training program.

just to strengthen up joints and muscles a little:

do 2 exercises for each muscle group, 3-5 sets per exercise, 8-15 reps per set...don't put enough weight on where you can't get 6-8 reps...unless you wanna start building some muscle.

i personally like to focus on free weights as it helps draw in the 'support muscles' instead of isolation.

so for example for chest:

flat bench and incline bench or dumbells.  5 sets of 15, 10, 8, 8, 8

squats are good for legs...keep them light. 

do a 'search' and you may pull up a lot more stuff.

2004-09-09 11:55 AM
in reply to: #59525

Pro
Andover
Hey Ron,

Do you think there would be much benefit in a program that incorporated "rest/recovery" and a "Heavy" week in lifting? For example:

Week 1: 2-3 sets, moderate weight, 10-12 reps
Week 2: 2-3 sets, moderate weight, 10-12 reps
Week 3: 2-3 sets, heavy weight, 6-8 reps
Week 4: 2-3 sets, light weight, 12-15 reps

Or, just have a heavy week on week 4 and keep the rest moderate?

Right now I'm doing 2-3 sets, moderate weight, 10-12 reps. M/Th: Back and Bi's, Tu/Fr: Chest and Tri's.

Thanks for any feedback.

Rob
2004-09-09 12:04 PM
in reply to: #59529

User image

Champion
Gold member

if u wanna grow muscle you need 1-2 heavy weeks per month, have a spotter and go to fatigue.  plus in general, a heavy week will stimulate your muscles to be able to go to higher weights on the lighter weeks..so it encourages growth.  thats what im doing now in my weight program.

heavy week will leave you sore(er) though...so watch out on the legs and shoulders and may have to juggle around running and biking ans swimming.

as far as a 'rest' week, that has crossed my mind but i have never tried it...at least for muscle growth, i have been under the impression that you need 'lighter' and 'heavier' days in conjunction with a changing routine/exercises and doing stuff like supersets, running the rack, etc...whatever to push past barriers and work your muscle differently for muscle stimulation.

I guess my 'ez' days are not lighter in intesity but rather less total exercises and keeping a 'moderate' weight.  maybe i will try it the next time i hit a wall.  let me know how it works for you...do u want general strength or mass?

2004-09-09 12:09 PM

User image

Regular
Mississippi
so how does the weight training affect your tri training? i mean, doesn't the fatigue from weights slow you down or impeed tri training progression?

the thing i am worried about is if i tri train and weight train that they will not mesh well?
2004-09-09 12:19 PM
in reply to: #59535

User image

Champion
Gold member

well of course it impedes my tri progress...but what can i say?  i love the iron.

if you keep the weight light, example:  go to 8 reps BUT you know you can do few more - then the sorness will most likely not be noticeable and you will not bulk up....

u can develop a good 'strength only' plan with 2 exercises per muscle group adn 3 sets each.

for instance:

day1 = chest/tris/back 6 total exercises, 3 sets of 15, 10, 8

day 2 - shoulders/bi's/legs, 3 sets of 15, 10, 8

you can do freeweights or nuatilus style (the cable machines)...u should be done with this workout in 30-45minutes.

u will hear a lot that a winter squat routine will really give your legs some power when its time to get on the bike in the spring.

a moderate, little-mass strength program will increase bone density and strengthen tendons and help burn more calories when resting...i feel the benefits are numerous.

2004-09-09 12:25 PM
in reply to: #59540

User image

Regular
Mississippi
so are you also tri training on your weight lifting days?
2004-09-09 12:31 PM
in reply to: #59547

User image

Champion
Gold member

lately due to schedualing (and if i remember the suit) i swim on my chest and shoulder days since im at the gym...sometimes i feel tired, others i feel powerful - its kinda weird...ideally i like to keep swimming on a non-lifting day. 

when doing legs (squats), i dont do run or bike that same day, the next day if i do anthything, its a short workout...it may take 10minutes to loosen the legs up but i get going well enough.

regardless, weight and tri training are always fighting each other for me.  since i lift for mass, its very difficult to get an ideal program and i will always be a BOPer.  which is ok for where im at in life.

2004-09-09 12:32 PM
in reply to: #59532

Pro
Andover
Ron - 2004-09-09 12:04 PM

... do u want general strength or mass?

Thanks fo the reply Ron!

To answer your question: Well, I started out only wanting to lose weight / tone. Now that I have lost some weight, and have been lifting for several months, I have been focusing on building my strength - mostly upper body with a bit of leg work. However, a little mass wouldn't be a bad thing. That's why I figured throwing a heavy week in would be a good idea.

But, after reading your post, I think I'll go a bit heavier than normal every-other-week and skip the "recovery" week.

Thanks again,
Rob
2004-09-09 12:33 PM
in reply to: #59540

User image

Regular
San Diego, CA
I must agree with Ron, I love the iron. My justification to myself is, my shoulders and legs get stronger therefore I go faster when I swim, bike and run.

There is a site I like to use www.bodybuilding.com that has a searchable database of various workouts that you can look through to find one that matches your needs.
2004-09-09 12:37 PM
in reply to: #59555

User image

Regular
Mississippi
thanks to both of you!

2004-09-09 12:39 PM

User image

Regular
Pensacola, Florida
hi ron, what's a winter squat routine?
2004-09-09 4:54 PM
in reply to: #59561

User image

Champion
Gold member

barbell/dumbell squats, smith machine squats...maybe dumbell lunges...i personally dont care for leg extensions - i feel like there is too much pressure isolated on the knees...unless you keep the weight light.  their are also other 'machine' squats depending on your gym....some exercises at http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.php?MainMuscle=Quadriceps

just do your leg routine once a week, starting with squats...say...15, 10, 8, 8, 8.  good form is essential or you risk hurting your back.  look up in the air when doing to keep back properly arched, never let your upper legs go past parrallel.  don't bounce, dont lock your knees.

*squats may irritate those with bad lower backs or knee 'issues'

if your new to squats, for your first set, don't use the bar...use light dumbells and get used to the motion of getting your upper legs parallel to the ground...for your second set use just the bar.  if your new...i would use the bar for several weeks just to get used to this exercise and get proper form.  once the soreness (if any) has subsided, you can start adding the wieght...maybe 10pounds per side...just dont start throwing on some 45's per side on your first time...u may not be walking next day and especially the day after.  BUT you will find that once u get used to it, you can put on the wieght easily...i never go up more than 10pound increments for my max weight.

after squats, u can do lunges or maybe moderate leg extensions or hamstring curls should u have time...

just my thoughts...'in season' you would want to reduce your leg routine to a 'maintenance' period so soreness doesnt interfere.

2004-09-09 5:49 PM
in reply to: #59694

User image

Regular
San Diego, CA
Squats are fantastic but they must be executed with good form like Ron said. I would just add one caveat, about 2 years ago I hurt my lower back doing squats in a smith machine, they force certain body types into positions that it is not meant to go into. I would avoid the smith machine.

I used to hate squats, now I love them. My maximum squat has gone up immensely using good form and increasing the weight gradually.
2004-09-10 6:45 AM
in reply to: #59535

Regular
Live2Tri - 2004-09-09 5:09 PM

so how does the weight training affect your tri training? i mean, doesn't the fatigue from weights slow you down or impeed tri training progression?

the thing i am worried about is if i tri train and weight train that they will not mesh well?

Looking at Phelps and Thorpe it must help in the swimming to have good upper body strength. Also looking at the triathletes at the olympics they were all quite toned. Far more than distance runners and cyclists so I think it must help :-)

Maybe there is an ideal limit for tri strength training but for me I'm starting at such a low point I think any strength building has to help.
2004-09-10 10:23 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
How I understand this, "to look good at the beach" = machine, isolation excercise; machine strenght without strengtening supporting tissues (e.g. dangerous on the long run)
Functional strength (e.g. what we need) = core strength, free weights
There were great articles about the subject, but I forgot where - I just concluded that free weights are my friends and that I must strenghten abs and lower back before even thinking about anything else (i'm starting in Oct); try find something under the "functional strength"

Here are some articles for beginnning of strenght training (not specific for 3)
I hope you will find something intresting.
Good luck!

Beginning Strength Exercises for Abdomen and Lower Back http://www.stadion.com/column_stretch20.html
Stretching and Injuries http://www.stadion.com/column_stretch9.html

"Squats, in their various versions, are the most effective overall strength exercises. Their benefits are not limited to developing lower body strength and endurance. Squats without additional resistance (weight), such as Hindu squats, strengthen knee ligaments, develop muscular endurance in the lower body, and improve lung function."
"If you are new to weight training you should start with the easiest and, in the long term, the safest form of squats. I believe that would be the Hindu squats. If you are an experienced lifter but your knees are creaky, you may want to stop your heavy squats for a while and do Hindu squats to strengthen your knees."

"Hindu squat. Start standing up, back straight, head up, chest up, feet hip-width apart. Feet point forward or slightly out—whatever feels good on the knees. Reach forward with your arms and then pull back as in a rowing motion until your fists are even with your chest. As you pull your arms back, inhale. Start to exhale and squat down letting your arms fall behind your hips. As you squat your heels raise off the floor so you are squatting on the balls of your feet. Squat as low as you can but do not bounce at the bottom. Rise up, simultaneously reaching forward with your arms as you inhale. The breathing pattern is opposite that of standard squats (without those rowing arm movements) and squats with weights. Throughout the whole squat keep your back straight. Repeat the cycle."
"Hindu squats should be done fairly fast and in large numbers. One hundred Hindu squats should take less than 3 minutes. At the beginning though, you should do as many as you can do comfortably and go as slow as it takes. " excerpt from here http://www.stadion.com/column_stretch22.html

How Not to Train for Strength : http://www.stadion.com/column_stretch35.html

2004-09-10 12:12 PM

Regular
Thanks for your comments.
I hadn't really thought of using free weights I think I will ask the instructor at the gym to give me a quick crash course.

p.s. I also have to try and not get intimidated by the guys lifting 10 times as much as me ;-)

Edited by John_0026 2004-09-10 12:13 PM
2004-09-10 3:15 PM

User image

Regular
Pensacola, Florida
thanks. i have not done too many leg workouts, if any, as i get enough of a workout running and biking. but after september i'm going to incorporate a leg workout at least once per week as you say ron.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Weight training program. Rss Feed