Melbourne, Florida
United States
Osler Medical
Total Time = 23m 10s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 12/61
Pre-race routine:

For my Flamingo 5K, I used the following Advocare products….

O2 Gold - 1 hour prior
Muscle Fuel - 1 hour prior
Meal Replacement Shake - vanilla - 1 hour prior
1 water bottle - Spark (m. orange) and Rehydrate (citrus) - I drank this on the way to the race and finished it about 30 minutes before race time.

Read all about it here...
www.advocare.com/06121226/

Event warmup:

I did about 20 minutes of pre-race jogging to loosen up my muscles. I jogged about 1/4 mile out and back several times.
Run
  • 23m 10s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 27s  min/mile
Comments:

I had an awesome pace going the first half of the race and first ascent of the causeway. I found another runner who was pacing at the speed I wanted to run so I tucked in behind her and we motored up the causeway with ease, passing other runners by the dozen. The first descent of the causeway went well and my running partner who I paced with went slightly faster than I did so she reached the turn around 4 people in front of me. After the turn around she went left and I went right to pass the next group, however, she was hindered by oncoming runners. That's the last I saw her. I motored up the causeway with relative ease but I believe I pushed a bit too much about 3/4 of the way up because my HR reached zone 3. Once I crested the causeway I was able to recover on the descent and continued to motor on once I was on flat ground again. My final sprint (~200 yards) was incredible. I had so much explosive power that I blew by 4 more runners within the last 50 yards.
What would you do differently?:

My time was hindered by my starting position in the field. There were so many runners, ~1500, that at the start there was a huge pile up and bottle neck as runners tried to "get going". I would start near the front of the field. I am also going to speed up the final 1/2 mile by upping my pace and ending in an all out sprint.
Post race
Warm down:

Light jog for 1/4 mile

What limited your ability to perform faster:

This is the first real race using Advocare products and I'm totally amazed at the performance results they gave me. As I've said many times before in my blogs, Advocare products are the best. So, what limited me was my lack of knowledge in what my body could actually do using Advocare. Now that I know my next 5K, May 12, should be another exciting, personal best performance. Anything less will be disappointing. I did push slightly too hard ascending the causeway the second time, increasing my pace prematurely.

Last updated: 2007-05-08 12:00 AM
Running
00:23:10 | 03.11 miles | 07m 27s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/61
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: The course started in downtown Melbourne and went out and back, which included going over the causeway.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes