General Discussion Race Reports! » Las Palomas Triathlon at Rocky Point - Sprint Distance (Triathlon - Sprint) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Las Palomas Triathlon at Rocky Point - Sprint Distance (Triathlon - Sprint) - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Rocky Point,
Mexico
Red Rock Organization
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 03m 23s
Overall Rank = 5/
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 1/189
Pre-race routine:

Woke up and ate a bagel and had a cup of coffee. I decided to make sure I had everything in my transition bag about half an hour before heading out, then Lobo and left to the race. This triathlon was completely different compared to other ones. I was really relaxed and not worried how I would do and to just have fun. Lobo and I planned this race well before IMAZ and signed up for the Sprint not knowing how we would feel 3 weeks after IMAZ. Everything I needed was in my bag, so Lobo and biked over to the host resort which was about a mile away.
Event warmup:

Set up transiton and talked with Andy, Lobo, and others from NM who were doing the Olympic race. I went back to my bike to get my goggles 5 minutes before heading out to the swim and for some reason I decided to check my tires one last time and good thing I did because my back tire was flat. The guys around me in transition were great! Danny Montoya and Mike Montoya (no relation, but really fast athletes) threw me a tube and tire irons to get busy. I started to freak out becasue this has never happened to me before. Danny Montoya realized the time and took me to a race tech and asked him to change the tire and rack my bike for me, and the tech said no problem and to head out to the swim. This was great and I couldn't thank him enough. I tried giving this guy some money after the race but he wouldn't take it. Danny Montoya wouldn't let me replace the tube he gave me either. Triathletes truely are the best!

Lobo and I then headed down to the swim and made our way across the coral for the start.
Swim
  • 12m 45s
  • 547 yards
  • 02m 20s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was my first ocean swim so I was really excited. It showed too, because Lobo and I made our way to the front of the group and got right up in the mix. This race was crazy, because at the first bouy everyone came to a stand still and some people were still trying to swim and started pounding people around them. It was kind of funny to be that clogged up at the first bouy, but after that things opened up a bit. The line to the next bouy was into the current and we hit some waves. I started to get into a rythm and I got punched in the temple and my goggles were knocked off. So, I had to turn on my back and re-position them. At the end of the swim people started to stand up and walk VERY slow across the coral back to the beach. After crossing the coral and poiting at my family and Lobo's family I made my way through the beach and up some stairs and waded through a baby pool to get the sand off my feet. There were a lot of people out of transiton already. Times included transition.
What would you do differently?:

This swim was cool becasue of the ocean swim and I was having fun knowing there was no pressure. Besides wearing something on my feet to cross the coral I would've tried to swim faster?
Transition 1
  • 00m
Bike
  • 27m 57s
  • 10 miles
  • 21.47 mile/hr
Comments:

This ride went by very fast and it seemed that I was passing people at will. I was passed by one lady and I tried to keep up with her and finally passed her with 2 miles left for good. This ride was great because I felt really comfortable and never really out of breathe. When I came into transition people were going crazy and I didn't know why until I saw transition and I only saw a couple of bikes racked. I looked up and saw Lobo running to his transition area with his bike. I've never entered transition looking like this before and then I said to myself " did I forget a portion of the bike"? Had a great transition and caught up with Lobo for the run. Transition time was included.

Nothing, I had a blast!
Transition 2
  • 00m
Run
  • 22m 42s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 18s  min/mile
Comments:

Ran a really comfortable pace with Lobo for most of the race. At the turn around I had some Gatorade and felt great and was holding a comfortable pace, but not too hard. With about a half a mile left I looked back and Lobo had fallen back a little bit and before I knew it I was heading towards the beach and the spectators were going crazy again and I had to ask where to go to finish and I was pointed in the right direction. Once I got to the beach the sand was very hard to run in, but I realized to run on my toes more and things got better. I saw my wife and son and Lobo's family and this gave me an extra boost. I then heard the announcer say that I was the 5th overall finisher for the Sprint. Crossed the finish line and Lobo was right behind me. We went to our families for hugs and then went and got a cold Corona!

Nothing, except to run faster, but this race was for fun and I didn't want to push it too hard.
Post race
Warm down:

Stood around cheering other finishers and drank beer.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Knowing this race was a fun race took a lot of anxiety of trying to PR. Next year if I do it I'll do the Olympic and race it.

Event comments:

Would do this race again. Had a great time racing along with the family vacation.

Last updated: 2007-05-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:45 | 547 yards | 02m 20s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/189
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: triangle course within the olynpic course.
Start type: Dive Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:27:57 | 10 miles | 21.47 mile/hr
Wind: Some
Course: Was a Y shape course with one sharp turn and two round abouts, with one short but steep hill.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:22:42 | 03.11 miles | 07m 18s  min/mile
Course: Out and back course that shared a lane with the Sprint and olympic bike and 10k run.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-05-10 2:29 PM

Albuquerque, NM
Subject: Las Palomas Triathlon at Rocky Point - Sprint Distance (Triathlon - Sprint)

2007-05-10 10:01 PM
in reply to: #796206

User image

Veteran
Albuquerque, NM
Subject: RE: Las Palomas Triathlon at Rocky Point - Sprint Distance (Triathlon - Sprint)
Another great race. You had a good swim considering you got your goggles knocked off. The New Mexico Outlaws go 1-2 in our age group...not to shabby for us not really racing.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Las Palomas Triathlon at Rocky Point - Sprint Distance (Triathlon - Sprint) Rss Feed